Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2011, 01:11 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
It seems like international coverage really doesn't matter to most US consumers, as evidenced by the 11% gap between CDMA and GSM subscribers here. Ditto on "simultaneous voice and data".

It's almost as if superior domestic coverage is more important, or something.
The problem is that Stephen likes to quote AT&T as having the largest GLOBAL coverage or coverage in the world. Unfortunately their coverage in the US sucks, so they do the cheap thing and roam on other networks instead of doing what a good company would and add a ton of additional towers. As of recently they are expanding. I think they took alot of heat for not using their profits to better their network for SO LONG, so over the last year or two they have taken the initiative and followed the lead of Verizon. Otherwise, how could they justify charging the same rates as Verizon? Still their network blows and now with AT&T's exclusive rights to the IPhone gone, I expect alot of their customers to abandon ship. When it comes to why people leave each company, here is what I have heard over the years: Verizon-high prices, and occasionally customer service issues. Sprint-customer service. T-Mobile- coverage issues,customer service. AT&T-coverage, price, customer service. If you noticed, people complain about customer service for all even though Verizon for years has been one of the top companies based on customer service satisfaction(not just for telecommunication companies) In 2008 they were the #2 company based on customer satisfaction. I can't remember who was #1 but it wasn't a telecom company. Now when it comes to phones, of the 4 major, they pretty much all carry the same or similiar phones excluding the IPhone and when it came out, some people left to go to AT&T. Mind you, I worked in the Rochester call center back then so I heard first hand all the customer issues about each company. When the IPhone rumors started back then, I really got to hear how much people hated AT&T and were anxious to jump ship but just stuck around based on that specific phone. Now that game is over. No more AT&T monopoly on the IPhone. The best they can claim now is that they have the biggest GSM network in the US. So f---in what!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 04:34 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Stephen, I love how you use the AT&T has the best covverage in the world phrase because you know Verizon isn't anywhere else; but it is. Vodaphone and Verizon Wireless are the same company so you might want to check your figures again.
Verizon is in other countries, but not as many as AT&T, and just doesnt offer what AT&T offers.

"Customers can make calls from any Verizon Wireless phone while visiting more than 40 countries worldwide...that use the same CDMA network technology as Verizon Wireless."

"Verizon Wireless global phones or smartphones with a pre-installed and active global-capable SIM card can make calls, text and use data services in more than 205 countries. More than 125 countries offer 3G speeds."

^ (translation - phones that come with a GSM chip)

AT&T says you shouldn't buy the Verizon iPhone because AT&T has a better network | Technology Blog | dallasnews.com

Verizon Wireless – Global-Capable Mobile Devices Advised For International Travelers | Star Global Tribune

Vodafone, although a parent company, operates in 30 countries, with networks in 40.

About us - Vodafone

* More devices that work in more countries. AT&T operates a GSM/HSPA wireless network domestically, the worldwide standard for wireless, which makes it more convenient for customers to stay in touch with family, friends and business colleagues while abroad – all on the same device and wireless number used at home.

* True smartphone multi-tasking. AT&T customers can use both voice and data at the same time on mobile broadband – both in the United States and internationally.

* Leading global footprint. AT&T customers can make and receive calls in more than 220 countries and send e-mail and browse the Internet in more than 200 countries, including more than 130 countries with 3G coverage. AT&T also offers voice and data coverage on more than 135 major cruise ships.

* Leading portfolio of world devices. AT&T offers more quad-band world devices (that work on 850/900/1800/1900 MHz frequencies) than any other U.S. carrier. For use in Japan and Korea, customers can choose from a portfolio of devices that operate on 2100 MHz.

* International plans with more choice, more control. With the broadest array of data packages, AT&T provides discounted plans for international data, including session-based pricing for AT&T-certified laptops and netbooks. Customers can also choose voice and messaging packages that provide significant cost savings when traveling in more than 100 countries

AT&T Named “Best Mobile Coverage in the World

Quote:
According to AT&T, AT&T's press releases, and AT&T's advertising, 4G requires HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul. That press release states that "up to two-thirds" of AT&T's 250 million customers will have enhanced backhaul by the end of 2011. That's roughly 165 million customers by the end of this year.

T-Mobile currently has 200 million customers covered at their maximum HSPA+ speed.

Even AT&T doesn't claim they've got the largest 4g network anymore.
According to AT&T, AT&T's press releases and AT&T's advertising, HSPA+ is now deployed to virtually 100% of their mobile broadband network. 4G speeds are delivered when HSPA+ technology is combined with enhanced backhaul.

http://androidandme.com/2011/03/carriers/att-4g-hspa-is-a-fast-network-for-fast-people-if-you-hack-your-phone-and-live-in-the-right-city/

That's why T-Mobile can make the claim. Enhanced backhaul is combined where their HSPA+ network reaches 150-200 million people.

AT&T has deployed HSPA+ to 100% of their network, but if the site you are connected to does not have "enhanced backhaul" you will not be able to take advantage of 4G speeds. They plan to cover 2/3 of the network by the end of their year.

AT&T has it in essence, T-Mobile has it in fact. A simple predicate.

Quote:
You've backed yourself into a corner on this one. Just admit your fanboyism and that you were wrong, and we'll stop beating you over the head with this.
There's no corners, only open space.

And I have no concussion, because no such thing is taking place.

Quote:
You keep dodging the issue. Quote a single post where I said otherwise.
I didnt dodge it.

You didn't directly say otherwise, becuase it was implicit.

So, I kept quoting you, to make it explicit, that you were basing your opinions off of personal experiences and that it does not hold true to the rest of the nation.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
The problem is that Stephen likes to quote AT&T as having the largest GLOBAL coverage or coverage in the world. Unfortunately their coverage in the US sucks, so they do the cheap thing and roam on other networks instead of doing what a good company would and add a ton of additional towers. As of recently they are expanding. I think they took alot of heat for not using their profits to better their network for SO LONG, so over the last year or two they have taken the initiative and followed the lead of Verizon.
"AT&T plans to invest $17 billion to $18 billion in 2009, in line with its 2007 capital expenditures of $17.7 billion and expected to exceed the planned investment of any other U.S. telecom company"

AT&T Public Policy

"Over the past two years, 2006-2008, we have invested approximately $38 billion to enhance our wireless and wired networks"

AT&T Public Policy

"The planned wireless network enhancement strategy is part of AT&T’s 2010 wireline and wireless capital investment, which is expected to be in the $18 billion to $19 billion range companywide"

Good news for Tn and AT&T customers - Jefferson County needs this!

"AT&T's previously announced planned $19 billion capital budget for 2011"

AT&T Targets Close to $1 Billion of Investment to Deploy Global Network-Based Cloud and Mobility Solutions for Businesses - MarketWatch

Quote:
Still their network blows and now with AT&T's exclusive rights to the IPhone gone, I expect alot of their customers to abandon ship....When the IPhone rumors started back then, I really got to hear how much people hated AT&T and were anxious to jump ship but just stuck around based on that specific phone. Now that game is over. No more AT&T monopoly on the IPhone. The best they can claim now is that they have the biggest GSM network in the US. So f---in what!
"AT&T announced its first quarterly earnings for 2011 and sales of the iPhone 4 remain strong. According to the earnings statement, AT&T activated 3.6 million iPhones in the quarter ending March 31"

"Despite predictions the Verizon iPhone would lead to a mass exodus from AT&T, the wireless carrier confirmed that iPhone churn remained the same year over year"

"In fact, about 23 percent of iPhone buyers in Q1 were new to AT&T"

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/04/20/atandt-iphone-sales-unaffected-by-verizon-launch/

# of iPhone sales per day

"44,898 activations per day for 49 days availability at Verizon. However, Verizon started taking preorders a week earlier. By that measure, activations were 39,286 per day."

"AT&T revealed, as part of Q1 earnings, 3.6 million iPhone activations, which works out to 40,000 per day for the quarter."

Verizon = 40,000 per day
AT&T = 40,000 per day

http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/article/ATT-and-Verizon-iPhone-sales-are-nearly-the-same-40000-per-day/1303398412

Old 05-28-2011, 05:01 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
According to AT&T, AT&T's press releases and AT&T's advertising, HSPA+ is now deployed to virtually 100% of their mobile broadband network. 4G speeds are delivered when HSPA+ technology is combined with enhanced backhaul.
Except that enhanced backhaul is available in a small fraction of your HSPA+ footprint. Even AT&T doesn't deny that.

Quote:
AT&T has it in essence, T-Mobile has it in fact.
In other words: T-Mobile has it now. AT&T may have it at some point in the future. Which means T-Mobile has the largest 4G network.

Your increasingly-agitated responses speak volumes as to why AT&T is regarded as the worst carrier in the US. They don't understand that customers want actual results, not marketing promises and technobabble. I suspect you may actually be a Verizon employee trolling as an AT&T fanboy / employee.

Quote:
You didn't directly say otherwise, becuase it was implicit.
Settle down there, slick. Never implied it, either. Sounds like you have a persecution complex.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
"Over the past two years, 2006-2008, we have invested approximately $38 billion to enhance our wireless and wired networks"
That includes wired expenses. Building out a fiber network is expensive. We know you're furious and desperate to bend the facts, but stick to the subject at hand.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
When the IPhone rumors started back then, I really got to hear how much people hated AT&T and were anxious to jump ship but just stuck around based on that specific phone. Now that game is over. No more AT&T monopoly on the IPhone. The best they can claim now is that they have the biggest GSM network in the US. So f---in what!
It's definitely going to be a big problem for AT&T. Between losing the iPhone monopoly, telling the FCC that they are within a few years of a total network collapse without T-Mobile's spectrum, being dead last in customer service, being stuck with quarter-century-old technology, and being dead last in 4G deployment, AT&T really has a tough future in store.

I wonder if that's why Stephen is having a meltdown.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Except that enhanced backhaul is available in a small fraction of your HSPA+ footprint. Even AT&T doesn't deny that.

In other words: T-Mobile has it now. AT&T may have it at some point in the future. Which means T-Mobile has the largest 4G network.
HSPA+ coverage

AT&T - 250 million
T-Mobile - 200 million

HSPA+ coverage with enhanced backhaul

T-mobile - 150-200 million
AT&T - 165 million (4Q)

Largest HSPA+ network?..Depends on the variables...

Quote:
telling the FCC that they are within a few years of a total network collapse without T-Mobile's spectrum
"AT&T's mobile data traffic has increased by 8000%, over 4 years"

"Stephenson said that by 2015, AT&T will be carrying eight times the network traffic it carries today. He warned of a looming “spectrum crunch” that could lead to higher prices for consumers"

"AT&T has been at the leading edge of mobile data growth on our network as a result of supporting more smart phones, more tablets and more eReaders than anyone else in the country. This has created an urgent need — an ongoing need for significantly more spectrum to support this explosive demand."

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/at-t-makes-its-t-mobile-case-patriotism-spectrum-crunch-mobile-broadband/46288

"Everybody's worried about the AT&T/T-Mobile merger," said McAdam, who has been tapped to fill the CEO position at Verizon when current chief Ivan Seidenberg retires this year.

"To me, that was inevitable. That was kind of like gravity. The spectrum in the U.S. is not in the hands of carriers that can do something with it."

Carriers like Verizon are pushing for access to more wireless spectrum, which can help them accommodate a larger number of users and applications that take up more space on the network, such as video streaming.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/05/17/bloomberg1376-LLCQQG6S972M01-36VOL7RT7NRRO7P0PF4EBHJOGD.DTL

Quote:
Your increasingly-agitated responses... I wonder if that's why Stephen is having a meltdown. ... We know you're furious and desperate to bend the facts... You've backed yourself into a corner on this one... Just admit your fanboyism and that you were wrong, and we'll stop beating you over the head with this. ... It says a lot that AT&T trains their employees to spend so much time explaining... AT&T has to ask an Internet forum... my real-world results, not some marketing PR put out by an employee of a competitor... I suspect you may actually be a Verizon employee trolling as an AT&T fanboy / employee... Settle down there, slick...Sounds like you have a persecution complex.
Wow. They are adding up.

It's obvious now that you're looking for faults. Maybe in an attempt to try to safeguard some intrapersonal goal they you have in this thread.

Could you be emotionally attached? Maybe.

To disagree would mean you're emotionally oblivious.

You're trying to oppose me, but to no prevail. So you call me out on a personal basis, to avoid the inevitable realization that you lack the ability to win an argument.

“When looking for faults use a mirror, not a telescope” - ???

Old 05-28-2011, 08:17 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,731 times
Stephen, I'm just amused that you do this like it's your job. The bottom line is people choose the carrier that works best for them. Just get over the fact that not everyone is in love with AT&T like you seem to be.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillager View Post
Stephen, I'm just amused that you do this like it's your job. The bottom line is people choose the carrier that works best for them. Just get over the fact that not everyone is in love with AT&T like you seem to be.
thats cool

or, or... not everyone hates AT&T

I rather this thread consist of intellectual conversations about networks, technology, and other technically inclined information instead of battles that shift the purpose of this thread

Old 05-29-2011, 04:03 AM

939 posts, read 3,385,731 times
Quote:
or, or... not everyone hates AT&T
Agreed.

Quote:
I rather this thread consist of intellectual conversations about networks, technology, and other technically inclined information instead of battles that shift the purpose of this thread
Quoting and posting links to press releases is not very intellectual. Someone could post just as many pro-Verizon press releases and news links as you have for AT&T, but that doesn't mean either side is correct. This whole thread is nothing more than a pissing contest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones