Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 11:07 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times

Advertisements

Okay, I've got the iphone 3G and had it two years this coming May. It's been acting up lately and I'm trying to hold off for the iphone 5. I'll list below the issues I've had but this one might do me in to where I have to do something soon and I really want the 5 and would prefer to wait for it. Hoping this issue can be fixed.

When I touch on my email icon the screen opens up but is total black. NADA! It vibrates that it is receiving emails and even when I close it and go back to the main screen it shows the little red number on the top of the email icon w/ how many unread emails I have. It's been doing this since Sunday. I really do need to get my emails on there especially since I'll be gone for a week over Spring Break and I have a lot going on that I need to keep track of and in touch.

Has anyone had this issue? Is there ANYTHING that I can do to fix this?

Other problems I've had:
The button on the top to turn the phone off/on is broken and has been for awhile but I've been able to fully function w/o that and it's not a problem. I was just biding my time till the 5.

Lately the screen does not want to go to whatever app I'm trying to open. I can sit and touch it all day long and nothing or all of a sudden it will. Even trying to move the main screen to the next page it might not. I have the OtterBox on it and thought that maybe the extra plastic screen might be the problem in that it is not picking up my fingers touch. Might take it off and see how it is without it. The same lack of control or opening happens when I'm in a function and it won't take the command.

Is my phone just giving up on me and I need to just get a new one?
If it is I'm seriously just thinking of getting an additional phone since AT&T are doing a special on the 3G for $50 but ADD this one t the service and not trade mine in for the upgrade. Then later when the 5 comes out take mine in and upgrade at that time. IF I HAVE to. Just don't want to pay for another phone if I don't have to.

I'm going to take it by AT&T later on today and see if there is some magic cure they know of to fix the issue w/ the email problem.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 07:35 AM

148 posts, read 370,897 times
One of the first steps you should attempt to do before anything else would be to find a way to turn the phone off and back on again and see if that resets things. I noticed that you did say that your on/off button is broke; you might want to see if that can be fixed.

Did you drop it or spill anything on it to break the button?

Old 03-02-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upsilon View Post
One of the first steps you should attempt to do before anything else would be to find a way to turn the phone off and back on again and see if that resets things. I noticed that you did say that your on/off button is broke; you might want to see if that can be fixed.

Did you drop it or spill anything on it to break the button?
Nope, no drops or spills. It just kind of stopped working.

I went by AT&T yesterday and they could not do anything and suggested I take it to the Apple store. That is where I'm going today.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:30 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
The unresponsive screen sounds to me like a broken screen due to years of abuse. I gave my sister a perfectly good used iPhone 3g last year and within a couple months it looked like it had been run over by a car, and the screen and proximity sensor were unreliable.

If I needed something to hold me over until the next iPhone release, I'd pick up a used iPhone 3G on Craigslist for about $100, and then sell it after you upgrade. Yours seems to have enough issues that it is probably not worth repairing.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
The unresponsive screen sounds to me like a broken screen due to years of abuse. I gave my sister a perfectly good used iPhone 3g last year and within a couple months it looked like it had been run over by a car, and the screen and proximity sensor were unreliable.

If I needed something to hold me over until the next iPhone release, I'd pick up a used iPhone 3G on Craigslist for about $100, and then sell it after you upgrade. Yours seems to have enough issues that it is probably not worth repairing.
I am looking for a good used one right now. Never bought a used phone.

It has not been abused and in actually great shape. Even though I have the Otterbox on it it's never been dropped or really abused at all. I've seen some get abused. Mine at being right at 2 years old looks better than some I've seen that are a month old. One of my daughters friends cracked her screen (don't even know how) and several others have had cracked screens, broken screens, etc. If you were to take the Otterbox off mine looks just as shiny and scratch free as it did the day I bought it 2 years ago.

Went to the Apple store. They suggested I download all of my info to my compter to back it up (already do that) and then reconnect it like it's a brand new phone. They were not even sure that would work. I really don't see how that could work as it IS connecting and the email icon shows the increase in emails recieved. Just the screen is blank and black when you click on it to open to your emails. So there is nothing wrong w/ the actual connection.

So, I'm going to try and find a used one at a reasonable price till the 5 comes out.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:47 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
The Apple store has always been able to help when the AT&T people can't. Although the wait can be long (although you can make an appointment), the service has always been great and they have even honored repairing a few things even when our warranty had just expired. So, hopefully they are able to help you! If they can't then it is time to get a new phone. Good Luck!

Old 03-07-2011, 12:51 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
I would think a simple soft reset would fix this as it sounds like its software related. Normally you'd hold the top button to do this, but you don't have one...

Old 03-10-2011, 07:50 AM

Okay, on it's own........ It started working again. BIZARE!!!!!!!

Can't wait to get a new one when the 5 comes out. If it acts up in any way one more time with ANY feature I'm going to a pawn shop and finding one to bide my time till the 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones