U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 04:40 PM

112 posts, read 329,344 times

Advertisements

Currently my mom and I have Verizon family plan. We have the cheapest 69.99 with $30 Internet and stuff since we have blackberry curves. Now before that I had Nextel for 3 years and loved it. I loved have free incoming calls and my night starting at 6. Even with my mom's discount our bill is still high. She gets a 21% discount with Verizon from her job. And even with that our bill is high. Our phones have been off since November 2010.

We are debating between staying with Verizon or going over to Sprint. My cousins had Verizon and they made the switch to Sprint. They encountered the same problem with high price of Verizon. They loved Sprint and wouldn't' come back to Verizon ever. I know Verizon has a better service and phone selection but their cost is too high.

Our plan on Verizon right now is:

Nationwide Talk and Text Family Shared Plan 700 Minutes
E-mail and Web for blackberry 29.99
Mobile to Mobile Minutes
Unlimited nights and weekends. Nights start at 9:01 PM.
Unlimited monthly picture and messaging
21% discount

So total with everything bill comes to 182.28 that's with late charges of $5.00, and Verizon's surcharges and other stuff.

Sprint Everything Data Family Plan
1500 minutes to share for $129.99
Unlimited calling to and from any domestic mobile number regardless of carrier it’s absolutely free! Minutes are used for land line calling and making calls while roaming.

My question is should we stay with Verizon or go to Sprint? If we stayed with Verizon I looked at the Droid X or maybe ThunderBolt (even with its high priced phone). I really have no interest in I phone cost too much. Now if we go with Sprint I am looking at HTC EVO Shift 4G or Samsung Epic 4G.

What should we do stay with Verizon or switch to Sprint?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 02:38 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,562,707 times
Note that if you go with a 4G phone from Sprint, its an additional $10 a month/per line, irregardless if you get 4G coverage in your area or not. Plus, Sprint's coverage is a bit more spotty than Verizon.

With my job, I get a 25% discount with Verizon. I am using that 1400 minutes Friends and Family Plan (I get 10 numbers that I can call unlimited amounts of time, whether its landlines or cell), plus unlimited mobile to mobile calling in Verizon's network. I also have the unlimited texts, and unlimited data. My bill comes to $146.42 before taxes, and a little over $160 with taxes added. Not much difference in cost, especially when you factor in the $10 per line added 4G premium on Sprint's service, is it? Thus, I am happy with Verizon.

Ian

Old 03-29-2011, 03:05 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,977,317 times
I am a happy Sprint customer and made the switch from Verizon almost 3 years ago.

I think if you are going to switch to Sprint, you might as well wait for the EVO 3d, rather than jumping on an old phone like the EVO.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:56 AM

34,319 posts, read 59,657,149 times
I have Sprint, and they offer many discounts.

You should check to see if Sprint will offer the same discount on service as Verizon does.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:55 AM

8,163 posts, read 13,333,036 times
I also moved from Verizon to Sprint about a year ago and it has worked well for us. The price is better, coverage is almost as good, and they do have many employee discounts. I would also find out if the people you call are sprint customers or not because this can affect the situation based on the comments of the 10 friends and family numbers.You also have to realize that HTC Droid phones are offered by Sprint too but when HTC makes the phones they have different names on each network but might be interchangeable.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:36 AM

5,850 posts, read 11,187,272 times
sprint has the best plans and in my opinion, superior coverage. The only downside to sprint is spotty customer service (which has seen an improvement over the last year)

Old 03-29-2011, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Like I said in the post my mom gets 21% discount with Verizon. And with Sprint its 10%. I know Verizon has the best service but its too costly and we're trying to save. My cousins have switched to Sprint and love it.

I've had Nextel before for 3 years on my ex's plan. And I loved their free incoming calls and my free nights starting at 6pm.

In the end it's my mom's deicsion. But I think she may swich over to Sprint because theri cheaper. She wanted to keep her same phone blackberry curve 8830. Its the old one with ball in middle. I told her I doubt that will happen because Sprint does sim cards and Verizon doesn't.

I was looking between Epic and HTC Evo. I didn't know they were coming out with a new phone. Though I did see this summer they are coming out with 3D phone on their website.

Keep the comments coming.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:45 PM

519 posts, read 511,579 times
No, Sprint also doesn't use SIM cards (domestically). Also your mother wouldn't be able to use her existing Blackberry. Even though they're both CDMA, at this time you can't use Verizon phones on Sprint and you can't use Sprint phones on Verizon.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Tapatalk

Old 03-30-2011, 12:09 AM

I told her she would have to get a whole new phone. I remember when she put me on her plan. I had Nextel and they couldn't transfer my contacts. So I had to manually put them in.

If we switch which phone is better HTC EVO Shift or Epic? I saw they are coming out with HTC 3D in summer.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Keep them coming

Old 03-30-2011, 12:17 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,977,317 times
The Epic and Evo are both better than the EVO Shift (even though the shift is newer). I recommend sticking to HTC since it has the best interface (sense ui) and development team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones