Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 08:29 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,894,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'd most certainly choose Adroid over WP7. WP7 doesn't have as much third party support.

It's true that Andorid has more apps, but I'd say WP7 has more quality apps. Even the apps that are on both systems work better on WP7, like IMDB, USA Today and Netflix.

Unlike most of the people commenting, I actually own a WP7 phone. I have it and an Android phone with arms reach all day. The only time I pick up the android before the WP7 device is to use the mobile browser. If IE9 in the mango update delivers, I may not even do that. I do prefer texting on the android because of swype. I find it even faster than physical keyboard.

edit: WP7 & thus Microsoft's biggest issue is a perception one. WP7 is anawesome OS, bu because it has the m isforune of being labeled Windows most people decry it as DOA without giving it a fair chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 08:39 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,920,853 times
While I can't specifically comment on WP7 (haven't used it), I will say this:

We are currently in the golden age of smartphones. Those of you who remember the early days of the PC revolution remember how awesome it was -- you had Atari, Commodore, Apple, IBM, and a handful of others competing for dominance. User interfaces were varied and demonstrated tremendous strengths and weaknesses. And for several years, all platforms had some serious, hardcore development going on.

That's how it is today with smartphones. Handset makers aside, we've got Android, iOS, Blackberry, Symbian, and WP7 devices all jockeying for relevance. If you don't like the way your smartphone does something, you've got PLENTY of choices.

For this reason, I hope WP7 continues to grow. Wireless competition on any level, including the underlying operating system, is great for consumers.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:08 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
It's true that Andorid has more apps, but I'd say WP7 has more quality apps. Even the apps that are on both systems work better on WP7, like IMDB, USA Today and Netflix.

Unlike most of the people commenting, I actually own a WP7 phone. I have it and an Android phone with arms reach all day. The only time I pick up the android before the WP7 device is to use the mobile browser. If IE9 in the mango update delivers, I may not even do that. I do prefer texting on the android because of swype. I find it even faster than physical keyboard.

edit: WP7 & thus Microsoft's biggest issue is a perception one. WP7 is anawesome OS, bu because it has the m isforune of being labeled Windows most people decry it as DOA without giving it a fair chance.
I've played with several WP7, Android, and BBs. My gf works for a company that supports initiatives for some of the cell phone carriers and she gets each phone they have in order to develop her delivery. What little WP7 apps are available are decent for sure. And MS has provided developers with a simple method of porting apps.

But at the end of the day, third party support is not there for WP7 phones yet. For example, I can print on my HP printer from my friends iPhones and Androids, along with my iPad... but there is no support for WP7 at this time. And we're talking about HP, a company that has huge agreements with Microsoft.

Additionally, my Netgear NAS (readyNAS) can be accessed anywhere in the US from an Android phone and an iPhone... but there is no support from a WP7.

WP7 just isn't there yet, so I certainly recommend to select Android instead or an iPhone if that's what you really want.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:37 AM

I have a network hp printer and have printed from my phone. There is also remote desktop apts for WP7. Now that you mention it though I can think of quite a few apps that don't have WP7 equivalents. At the reader the marketplace is growing the argument grows weaker everyday. Some major app holes, like ESPN, have only recently come to WP7, but the rate of growth is faster than either iOS or android was at this point in it's life cycle. I do agree for your power user android is currently a better choice. Although some of the things that make it a better choice also make it cumbersome for the average user. My wife never touches my android device, she'll often play with my WP7. She is now even debating whether she'll stay with Apple or go WP7 when she's eligible for an upgrade this fall

Old 05-30-2011, 12:41 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
While I can't specifically comment on WP7 (haven't used it), I will say this:

We are currently in the golden age of smartphones. Those of you who remember the early days of the PC revolution remember how awesome it was -- you had Atari, Commodore, Apple, IBM, and a handful of others competing for dominance. User interfaces were varied and demonstrated tremendous strengths and weaknesses. And for several years, all platforms had some serious, hardcore development going on.

That's how it is today with smartphones. Handset makers aside, we've got Android, iOS, Blackberry, Symbian, and WP7 devices all jockeying for relevance. If you don't like the way your smartphone does something, you've got PLENTY of choices.

For this reason, I hope WP7 continues to grow. Wireless competition on any level, including the underlying operating system, is great for consumers.
Very true, very similar to the emergence of the PC. I still pine away regarding my old C64 and Amiga, such great machines way ahead of their time, but run into the ground by the people who ran it's business.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:38 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,191,740 times
I have friends who use them since they work there. I'm yet to find a compelling reason as to why you'd want one instead of an iPhone.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:46 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,920,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
I have friends who use them since they work there. I'm yet to find a compelling reason as to why you'd want one instead of an iPhone.
That's the beauty of where we are today. Each OS / device has its own characteristics. Consumers can buy whichever one best meets their needs.

Really, with no effort whatsoever, you can go to just about any wireless carrier and have your pick of Android, iOS, Blackberry, WebOS, WP7, and maybe even Symbian -- plus all the feature (non-smart) phones.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:55 AM

149 posts, read 270,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post

I think that is why many people are choosing Android is for the apps. They want to be able to have access to any and everything. Is the browser on you Windows slow? I like Swype too! It's like scribbling on the screen and the right words come up.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:20 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
With Nokia dropping Symbian OS and adopting WP7 OS, there will be more focus on WP7 apps, at least to some degree.
Or, it will be a huge error by Nokia....

Old 06-05-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachgeek View Post
I think that is why many people are choosing Android is for the apps. They want to be able to have access to any and everything. Is the browser on you Windows slow? I like Swype too! It's like scribbling on the screen and the right words come up.
No, it actually may even be faster than the android one, it's litle itpicky stuff that makes me like the android browser better. It seems when zooming it formats text to the frame better, plus it has flash, and WP7 limits you to 6 windows at a time, while android is 8. Also the explorer bar and options disappear on Wp7 when in landscape mode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones