U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 11:02 PM

146 posts, read 238,114 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone that owns or knows someone who owns a Windows Phone 7? If so, how do you/they like it? Is it better than the previous Windows phones?

I haven't heard much about it because most people I know have Android or BB. Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 08:50 AM

11,858 posts, read 13,992,008 times
It is light years better then the previous generation Windows Phone. Night and day. Do you have any specific questions?
It is Microsoft's answer to the iPhone/Android phone.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:30 PM

146 posts, read 238,114 times
I had a Windows phone and it was incredibly slow. I'm guessing it is not much faster...right? Since you say that it is now comparable to Android/iPhone, does that mean you can easily get apps that are useful. Does your phone freeze much? I always had to reset my phone and it was a pain.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:47 PM

24,503 posts, read 36,002,033 times
The new Windows Phone 7 is completely new OS from scratch. It's not nearly as sophisticated as previous versions and quite a bit more streamlined. They made it look and feel like an iphone.

At this point, it's just as good as iPhone and Android phones, but doesn't have as many apps yet. It's picking up marketshare pretty rapidly, mostly stealing it from RIM.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:11 PM

5,850 posts, read 11,194,592 times
I work in the mobile phone biz and see most phones before they are released to the general public. All of the windows (windows phone 7) phones I have come across are sluggish and feel very cheap.

Not ready for primetime.

Save your sanity/money and get an Android device or iPhone

Old 05-19-2011, 11:30 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,710,525 times
When WP7.5 and 8 come out, they will be more on-par with current offerings. In its current implementation, it is disappointing and lack-luster. The interface is innovative and I think it is pretty efficient, but it's still ugly and I don't appreciate the OS as a whole just yet. We'll see what the next implementations will bring us. For now, Android, iPhone, even Symbian will do you better.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:43 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 6,828,006 times
I've tried it for a while and I'm sure MS has the same thing in mind- this is a just get it out the door release. It's better than previous version of Windows Mobile, but in no way is it a competitor to iOS and Andriod. MS has to start somewhere and maybe the next round will give us something to really consider.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:17 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,921,033 times
my take:
iOS - Android - Windows Phone 7 Comparison/Thoughts

I'm still happy with WP7 months later. So much that I just bought the Dell Venue Pro WP7 Phone:
Dell Venue Pro WP7 device available for AT&T customers, up to 32GB too | ZDNet

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I work in the mobile phone biz and see most phones before they are released to the general public. All of the windows (windows phone 7) phones I have come across are sluggish and feel very cheap.

Not ready for primetime.

Save your sanity/money and get an Android device or iPhone
Pure FUD. All Wp7 phones I've used have been quite snappy. Nothng cheap feeling about the Dell, an HTC device, or the Samsungs. The only one I'd agree with you on that is the LG.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:44 PM

24,503 posts, read 36,002,033 times
I'd most certainly choose Adroid over WP7. WP7 doesn't have as much third party support.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:40 AM

11,858 posts, read 13,992,008 times
While I agree with Mac and disagree with Dinsdale:
  • friend has the Samsung and it is not laggy at all. My Droid1 is way more laggy
I also agree with NJBest:
  • Android > WinMoby
I was a Microsoft fan for a long time but I am giving up on them. They were WAY late to the "decent phone party". They completely bailed on anyone using previous generation Windows phones worse then I've ever seen a company bail on a product.
I've simply lost respect for MS.
Constantly following, never leading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones