Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 05:11 AM

137 posts, read 702,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I have had T Mo for 8 years, and during that time had service through other carriers for one reason or another (phone from work, such as Nextel, or trying out no-contract providers such as Metro PCS and Virgin Mobile, for example), and my opinion is that "voice call service" is pretty much the same for everyone if you live in major city, or a decent-sized one at that. I am currently using Verizon, which everyone says is the "best", and to be honest, it doesn't seem any better than T Mo.

Ah, 3G, 4G, etc. doesn't really mean much as all they indicate is the third generation of data-transfer capability, 4th generation, etc. for that particular provider. They are not all the same. Since each provider has their own unique data-transfer capabilities based on their own unique band-widths, it is kind of a moot point. T Mo's 4G is not the same as Sprint's. Or Verizon's. Or AT&Ts.

One thing I really like about T Mo is that they are GSM, and their phones use SIM cards. I can take my SIM card and place it into another phone that requires a SIM card, and if you call my number, the "new" phone will ring. Plus, GSM is pretty much the World-wide standard. My T Mo phone will work in Europe. My Verizon phone will not.

All four major U.S. carriers have pretty much the same coverage. The difference is in the little nuances of remote areas and smaller rural towns. But, if you live in most U.S. cities, or drive along major U.S. highways, you will find you have the same coverage.

Most people live in cities, so the idea that you can get coverage in some remote location is rather ridiculous since most Americans are not going to find themselves out in the middle of Montana, per se.

Good info. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 08:40 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
All four major U.S. carriers have pretty much the same coverage. The difference is in the little nuances of remote areas and smaller rural towns. But, if you live in most U.S. cities, or drive along major U.S. highways, you will find you have the same coverage.
I will agree with you for the most part except in Jersey T-Mobile is decidedly the worst of the big 4...Going from NYC to Philly on the NJT and to AC on the GSP, T-Mobile has more holes than a strainer.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:57 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
His job is listed as Tech Support, so maybe he works for Tmobile. There are spots though across the country where some carriers are stronger than others but as a whole the coverage across the US is 1-Verizon, 2-Sprint, 3-AT&T, 4-Tmobile
AT&T is #1, covering 97% of all americans.
Verizon is #2, covering 94% of all americans.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:25 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
AT&T is #1, covering 97% of all americans.
Verizon is #2, covering 94% of all americans.
just another form of propoganda by Mr.AT&T. AT&T's actual network doesn't even cover 50% of the US, Verizons does!

Old 05-26-2011, 08:50 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
just another form of propoganda by Mr.AT&T. AT&T's actual network doesn't even cover 50% of the US, Verizons does!
^ coming from Mr. Verizon

All wireless networks uses different technologies to provide wireless services. To distinguish this from a actual network is irrelevant and fruitless.

AT&T covers 97% of all Americans.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:09 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
On a many cross country trips, the only place I have ever lost coverage on Sprint is the White Sands Missle test range and MiraMar MCAS. My friend on Verizon lost coverage in the Mountain Areas or Utah and Colorado, and even then it was only for a few miles.

with AT&T, my brother can't even get a signal in many parts ofSan Francisco, NYC, and Albany. More oftern than not he will not get a signal in more remote parts of the country. More often than not, if a call is dropped, it is usually because the other party is on AT&T.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:27 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
AT&T covers 97% of all Americans.
Too bad they don't cover 97% of America. THAT would be something.

To shut down your threadjacking before you even get a chance to begin:

OP, the difference between the two is really entirely up to you. Despite what Mr. AT&T Marketing here says, the only important factor is whether or not your device works where you need it to. To this end, your coverage and network performance will vary greatly from area to area, and in fact, from user to user.

So the only simple answer I have is to try them both. Both offer reasonable return periods. From my first-hand experience, I can tell you that both are comparable -- though T-Mo seems to have more dead spots around here (Pennsylvania). If customer service is at all important to you, go with T-Mobile. Sprint's customer service is beyond awful (again, my first-hand experience).

The short answer is that there's no one carrier that's best for everyone.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:30 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That's interesting considering Sprint roams on Verizon's network.
Sprint devices only fall back to Verizon when there's no native Sprint coverage to be found. When this happens, it's my understanding that they lose EVDO. Verizon only allows Sprint devices to access 1xRTT data. This would definitely explain a major difference in coverage between voice and data.

It's been three years since I had a Sprint device, however, so it's entirely possible that this has changed.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:31 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
Sprint devices only fall back to Verizon when there's no native Sprint coverage to be found. When this happens, it's my understanding that they lose EVDO. Verizon only allows Sprint devices to access 1xRTT data. This would definitely explain a major difference in coverage between voice and data.

It's been three years since I had a Sprint device, however, so it's entirely possible that this has changed.
This has changed. Due to a conflict with the agreement Alltel had with Sprint, Verizon had to open up EVDO to Sprint customers.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:51 PM

674 posts, read 2,553,064 times
Coverage from cell phone companies will vary by city. Here in Phoenix Verizon and T-Mobile have the best. The coverage I get from Sprint is acceptable to me based on what I'm paying. If they continue to offer unlimited data when my contract is up in 1.5 years then I will gladly pay the extra $10/month for premium data. But I still think Verizon and T-Mobile have superior coverage, it doesn't mean I work for either of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones