U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 04:27 AM

130 posts, read 329,353 times

Advertisements

I realize AT&T and T-Mobile are in the midst of a merger. That fact aside, at this point, which carrier has a better network? T-Mobile seems to have more 4G coverage than Sprint, but Sprint may or may not have better voice call coverage. Feedback please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 07:59 AM

8,126 posts, read 8,435,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastvp View Post
I realize AT&T and T-Mobile are in the midst of a merger. That fact aside, at this point, which carrier has a better network? T-Mobile seems to have more 4G coverage than Sprint, but Sprint may or may not have better voice call coverage. Feedback please.
By far sprint. Better voice and data coverage. T-Mobiles prices are SLIGHTLY cheaper but tons of weak areas for TMO. Now you have to see what the end result will be once the merger goes through. I have had Verizon and currently on Sprint and my in laws have TMO. Lots of employee discounts for Sprint as well that can go up to 25% off too.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:42 AM

4,721 posts, read 4,822,138 times
I gotta go with Sprint myself....Only other network that you can say is better is Verizon because they do have the larger native network....but Sprint works everywhere I live work and travel so largest network is negliable to me, just work where I need you to.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:06 AM

21,136 posts, read 16,734,541 times
I'm agree with the folks here that say Sprint is better.

I personally think Sprint is cheaper unless you are calling a bunch of landlines all day. Then T-Mobile has a better unlimited minutes plan.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:08 AM

5,358 posts, read 6,264,083 times
VZ is the best
Sprint is a close second

T-Mobile and AT&T at the bottom of the heap (all the merger will do is take two crappy networks and turn it into one big crappy network.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
VZ is the best
Except when it comes to value. VZ is overpriced. But yes, best network.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:04 PM

674 posts, read 1,537,000 times
T-mobile by far. I have Sprint and my brother has T-Mobile, he gets much better coverage than I do. There are spots where I get no coverage at all and his phone show full signal.

Sprint's voice coverage is acceptable but their data coverage is a joke.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower123 View Post
T-mobile by far. I have Sprint and my brother has T-Mobile, he gets much better coverage than I do. There are spots where I get no coverage at all and his phone show full signal.

Sprint's voice coverage is acceptable but their data coverage is a joke.
That's interesting considering Sprint roams on Verizon's network.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:42 PM

8,126 posts, read 8,435,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That's interesting considering Sprint roams on Verizon's network.
His job is listed as Tech Support, so maybe he works for Tmobile. There are spots though across the country where some carriers are stronger than others but as a whole the coverage across the US is 1-Verizon, 2-Sprint, 3-AT&T, 4-Tmobile

Old 05-24-2011, 12:20 AM

7,503 posts, read 14,627,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastvp View Post
I have had T Mo for 8 years, and during that time had service through other carriers for one reason or another (phone from work, such as Nextel, or trying out no-contract providers such as Metro PCS and Virgin Mobile, for example), and my opinion is that "voice call service" is pretty much the same for everyone if you live in major city, or a decent-sized one at that. I am currently using Verizon, which everyone says is the "best", and to be honest, it doesn't seem any better than T Mo.

Ah, 3G, 4G, etc. doesn't really mean much as all they indicate is the third generation of data-transfer capability, 4th generation, etc. for that particular provider. They are not all the same. Since each provider has their own unique data-transfer capabilities based on their own unique band-widths, it is kind of a moot point. T Mo's 4G is not the same as Sprint's. Or Verizon's. Or AT&Ts.

One thing I really like about T Mo is that they are GSM, and their phones use SIM cards. I can take my SIM card and place it into another phone that requires a SIM card, and if you call my number, the "new" phone will ring. Plus, GSM is pretty much the World-wide standard. My T Mo phone will work in Europe. My Verizon phone will not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
His job is listed as Tech Support, so maybe he works for Tmobile. There are spots though across the country where some carriers are stronger than others but as a whole the coverage across the US is 1-Verizon, 2-Sprint, 3-AT&T, 4-Tmobile
All four major U.S. carriers have pretty much the same coverage. The difference is in the little nuances of remote areas and smaller rural towns. But, if you live in most U.S. cities, or drive along major U.S. highways, you will find you have the same coverage.

Most people live in cities, so the idea that you can get coverage in some remote location is rather ridiculous since most Americans are not going to find themselves out in the middle of Montana, per se.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones