Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 09:51 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I've been using a "smart" phone since the Kyocera 6035 was the big thing (basically a cellphone with a Palm III built in). I'm in front of a computer for better than 12 hours per day, but my phone (currently an HTC Evo) still gets used a LOT - and not for voice. It's extremely convenient to be able to google something when it hits you (instead of waiting until you get home, or going to get the laptop, etc). We haven't used our traditional GPS but once or twice since we got our phones. LogMeIn Ignition lets me remote into any PC I manage from anywhere.

My life would be extraordinarily difficult and inconvenient if I were to "downgrade" to a non-smart phone. YMMV.
Are you going to upgrade to the EVO 3D? Supposedly it's priced at $199 w/ contract and an ADDITIONAL $100 discount if you trade in your existing EVO. Although, you could probably do better on eBay.

EVO 3D might be my next phone. I'm not sure what I think about having to bump up my plan to $50/month for it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 10:04 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,343 times
I think the whole 3D thing is gimmicky.......doesn't appeal to me.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
I think the whole 3D thing is gimmicky.......doesn't appeal to me.
While I haven't tried it, I absolutely agree (until proven wrong). But otherwise, it's the highest-spec'd phone thus far. The CPU/GPU, along with gingerbread and SenseUI 3 is promising.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:06 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Yeah, we have a lot of relatives that are in the stone age.....we don't even have a land line

But it's 30/ea for data, then like $50/ea for the phone plans. We are grandfathered in to "true" unlimited, so we pay $10/ea more but we have a more flexible plan.
Not having a landline is also a good tradeoff if you can do it. It's almost like you are saving $30/month by not having that.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:13 AM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
I pay about $70/month after taxes for my iPhone, but this includes a corporate discount. My bill before applying the discount is closer to $80. I'm not a big phone person, but my iPhone has come in handy in so many instances. While I don't NEED it, I certainly like having it and it's convenient, and my old phone (a Razr) was more like $50/month after taxes.

Two situations in which it really helped:

December 2010 - East Coast Blizzard: I was at the Philadelphia airport waiting for a flight to Colorado. Flights were being canceled all day, but mine was delayed since they were expecting the plane to arrive. It tried to land, but couldn't, and was diverted to Baltimore, so then my flight was finally canceled. I immediately got on the phone with my airline, rescheduled over the phone (instead of standing in line to see a gate agent), and THEN used Hotwire.com to book a rental car at a much better rate than I would have been able to get if I had just walked up to the counter at one of the rental agencies. The next available flight was in *7* days, so I drove back to my parents house. I made the reservation via the internet on my smart phone and avoided the long line of people, since I already had made the reservation.

San Diego - July 2009: I was at a conference and my employer wouldn't pay for a rental car. I don't know if many people know this, but the Google Maps app on the iPhone actually has transit directions as well that include arrival and departure times for most major cities. I was able to use my phone all week and was able to get around town by transit, using Google Maps routing. Sure, I could have picked up paper schedules or planned out routes on my laptop, but the smart phone made the experience much more pleasant and convenient.

Like I said, I don't NEED my smart phone, but it really is nice to have.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:46 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
While I haven't tried it, I absolutely agree (until proven wrong). But otherwise, it's the highest-spec'd phone thus far. The CPU/GPU, along with gingerbread and SenseUI 3 is promising.
I do enjoy SenseUI, which is one thing I kind of miss, having my Atrix instead of an HTC phone. Spec wise, they're near identical, same resolution, RAM, etc. (EVO is faster by .2ghz) but the battery is only 1700ish mAh, which is better than previous HTC phones (what were they thinking putting 1300 mAh batteries in phones with 4.3" screens?), but still a little smaller than I was expecting.

I just wish I didn't have to deal with Moto's locked bootloader, mostly cause they take forever to push their updates out (not as long as samsung, but hey), and if we had unlocked bootloaders, we'd be updated a day or so after GBread came out

Old 05-24-2011, 10:50 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Nah. I have internet at home. Internet at work. And Onstar (google b*tches who will look up anything I want) in my car.

I don't need a smart phone. Most people don't. But they like to have it for fun. That's their business. Everyone has their own way of having fun.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I do enjoy SenseUI, which is one thing I kind of miss, having my Atrix instead of an HTC phone. Spec wise, they're near identical, same resolution, RAM, etc. (EVO is faster by .2ghz) but the battery is only 1700ish mAh, which is better than previous HTC phones (what were they thinking putting 1300 mAh batteries in phones with 4.3" screens?), but still a little smaller than I was expecting.

I just wish I didn't have to deal with Moto's locked bootloader, mostly cause they take forever to push their updates out (not as long as samsung, but hey), and if we had unlocked bootloaders, we'd be updated a day or so after GBread came out
True, I forgot about the Atrix. The Atrix has the Tegra 2 CPU while the EVO 3D has the SnapDragon DC. The Tegra 2 is sweet. The Snapdragon DC is untested in a production phone as of yet. It's expected to be slower than the Tegra 2 but more power efficient. Can't wait to find out.

Sprint softlaunched this phone waay too early. Pisses me off.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:12 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Are you going to upgrade to the EVO 3D? Supposedly it's priced at $199 w/ contract and an ADDITIONAL $100 discount if you trade in your existing EVO. Although, you could probably do better on eBay.

EVO 3D might be my next phone. I'm not sure what I think about having to bump up my plan to $50/month for it though.
Not a chance. Not into the 3D fad. Wasn't into it when it passed through during the '70s, '80s or '90s, either...

I'm a function-over-form guy. I don't care if the interface is 2D or 3D or has pictures of naked women or whatever. For me, it has to work. That's it. If it does what I need it to do, with a minimum of hassle or performance-stealing eye candy, then I'm sold.

I'm probably going to go with the Evo Shift, actually. Smaller screen, but the physical keyboard would be a big improvement. Much more functional.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:28 AM

521 posts, read 467,073 times
I don't know how you guys are getting such great deals. If I were to upgrade my plan and purchase a "smartphone", the phone alone would cost me 200 bucks (HTC Desire) and I'd have to switch to an entirely different plan that would cost me at least 100 dollars after taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones