Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2011, 08:37 PM

145 posts, read 420,495 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to tell a friend of mine that has at&t that his 4g phone service through them is not true 4g but he doesn't believe me. I'm just not sure on the technical terms but what I have read its based off of old 3g towers that have been boosted. Any info on this would be much appreciated so I can finally shut him about this once and for all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 10:00 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,089 times
AT&T's 4G platform -- HSPA+ -- is indeed 4G as per the revised definition of 4G by the ITU. It wasn't always, but after the wireless carriers basically threw temper tantrums, all of the current technologies now marketed as 4G -- LTE, WiMax, and HSPA+ -- are now officially 4G.

AT&T's 4G is a little tricky to figure out. Not only do you have to be in an area served by HSPA+ cells, but those cells also have to be hooked into enhanced backhaul. The backhaul is basically the chokepoint between the tower and the rest of the world. Unfortunately, AT&T has not been very forthcoming with details on what areas have this enhanced backhaul and what areas don't. The end result is that although you may be in an area covered by AT&T's 4G, you don't really get 4G speeds.

Which is amusing, given that the original definition of 4G was in fact based on speed and not necessarily technology.

Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon don't have these issues. If you have 4G with them, you have full-speed 4G. None of this "yes you have a 4G connection but you aren't running at full speed" nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones