Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 07:14 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,889,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Well the point of all this is there is something for everyone. I *like* sprint for my phone (I actually just upgraded to the EVO 3D) but love verizon for raw data hotspot speed.
Lets see if you love Verizon once that LTE gets saturated and drops to the speeds currently at WiMAX...

This is why you see Verizon place caps now, and why that haven't come out guaranteeing the high speed, because they know its not sustainable, plus Verizon LTE doesn't have nearly the spectrum allocated to it that Sprint's WiMAX does which is why they can continue to offer Unlimited rather than caps for the foreseeable future...

Sprint has so much spectrum they can run LTE and WiMAX concurrent and still offer unlimited. Again Verizon only has 500k using LTE and already has to place caps.

And once Sprint has that Network Vision Rolled out it will be using CDMA, WiMAX and LTE on 800, 1900 and 2.5mhz bands, coverage will be amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 08:51 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,920,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Lets see if you love Verizon once that LTE gets saturated and drops to the speeds currently at WiMAX...
Who cares? You're saying we should forego decent speed and coverage today because of what may or may not happen in the future?

Look, I'm not knocking Sprint, but I base my purchasing decisions on what's available today. On Verizon's 4G, I get 20-30 megs regularly. On Sprint's 4G, I saw 2-6 megs regularly. Suggesting that I should choose the latter because the former may possibly one day be slightly slower is absurd.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:03 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
Who cares? You're saying we should forego decent speed and coverage today because of what may or may not happen in the future?

Look, I'm not knocking Sprint, but I base my purchasing decisions on what's available today. On Verizon's 4G, I get 20-30 megs regularly. On Sprint's 4G, I saw 2-6 megs regularly. Suggesting that I should choose the latter because the former may possibly one day be slightly slower is absurd.
You said it way better than me

Old 06-28-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:

You will care, once you notice you're not getting that 20-30 mb down anymore.

I'm saying be realistic....People have this notion that LTE offers so much greater speed than WiMAX, when it doesn't the only reason LTE has the Speed advantage over WiMAX is purely on user loads 500k users doesn't compare to caring 6 million users, and once LTE loads increases to that of WiMAX it will slow down and there wont be any noticeable difference between WiMAX and LTE based on speeds.

Dont get comfortable with the 20-30 megs is what I'm saying its not sustainable, those are clear empty pipes your using.....So one day when you notice you're not getting those 20-30 meg speeds anymore you'll know why. WiMAX was delivering the same speeds early on until it got saturated.

Perspective people, it comes in handy.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
You will care, once you notice you're not getting that 20-30 mb down anymore.
So? I'll deal with it then. Until then, are you actually suggesting that "6Mb/s now" is better than "20-30Mb/s now, with a future possibility of a gradual decrease to 6Mb/s"? If so, well ... enjoy your 6Mb/s. I'm definitely enjoying my Verizon LTE.

And remember, speed isn't everything -- coverage plays a GIGANTIC role. Sprint doesn't offer 4G at my office, which is only a few miles from downtown Harrisburg PA. Neither does AT&T. Verizon does. Problem solved.

I'm not knocking Sprint, but this whole "b-b-but LTE could someday slow down a little bit, and then it will only be a LITTLE faster than WiMax" thing (which pops up on other forums as well) is quite possibly the most laughable argument in wireless I've ever seen.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
So? I'll deal with it then. Until then, are you actually suggesting that "6Mb/s now" is better than "20-30Mb/s now, with a future possibility of a gradual decrease to 6Mb/s"? If so, well ... enjoy your 6Mb/s. I'm definitely enjoying my Verizon LTE.
Hey I'll take a consistent and stead 6mbs down with a 6 million user load, shows me that WiMAX wont buckel under heavy pressure...and the fact that it will still be "UNLIMITED" @ 30$ a month, not tiered.

LTE has yet to prove what speeds it can maintain under pressure of a heavy load, plus Verizon limited 700mhz spectrum isn't plentyful like Sprint/Clear 2.5..

Again you cheerlead Verizon now....this time next yet, you're probably going to be singing a different song, and its not a matter of "if" LTE slows down its a matter of "when" again the speeds your seeing is not sustainable, unless Verizon prices plans accoridingly because of the limited spectrum they have to run LTE, which is exactly what your seeing with.

30$ - 2gbs
50$ - 5 gbs
80$ - 10 gbs

and add another 20$ if you want to use your phone for tethering.

Quote:
And remember, speed isn't everything -- coverage plays a GIGANTIC role. Sprint doesn't offer 4G at my office, which is only a few miles from downtown Harrisburg PA. Neither does AT&T. Verizon does. Problem solved.
Nope Speed isn't, also a factor in coverage is Available spectrum which Sprint has a ton of and once Network Vision is complete Sprint will be sitting quite pretty as far as coverage. Verizon on the other hand will need to do something about that limited spectrum that LTE is currently running on, it will bite them in the a**.

Quote:
I'm not knocking Sprint, but this whole "b-b-but LTE could someday slow down a little bit, and then it will only be a LITTLE faster than WiMax" thing (which pops up on other forums as well) is quite possibly the most laughable argument in wireless I've ever seen.
No b-b-but's about LTE will slow down, enjoy those empty pipes while you have them, when they get full you'll see, say hello to that 6mbs you're currently laughing so hard at.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:50 AM

Default Sprint's 4G coverage is lacking

Quote:
Hey I'll take a consistent and stead 6mbs down with a 6 million user load, shows me that WiMAX wont buckel under heavy pressure...and the fact that it will still be "UNLIMITED" @ 30$ a month, not tiered.
I've still got unlimited. I'll still have it after July 8th, too.

Quote:
LTE has yet to prove what speeds it can maintain under pressure of a heavy load
Like New York City?

Quote:
Again you cheerlead Verizon now....this time next yet, you're probably going to be singing a different song
I'm not cheerleading anybody. I'm telling you what works for me. And if Verizon really will drop to 6Mb/s (as all Sprint employees have been saying for over a year now), then why shouldn't I sign up for 30Mb/s service today, then switch if the service no longer meets my needs?

Then I'll enjoy my 6Mb/s service on a 4G network from T-Mobile, AT&T, or Verizon that's 2x - 3x the size of Sprint's 4G network. After all, if the speed is the same, might as well go with whoever has the best coverage, right?

Old 06-29-2011, 09:08 AM

[quote]
Quote:
I've still got unlimited. I'll still have it after July 8th, too.
Unless Verizon decided to change policies once again, seems like they've been doing that alot...

No More New Every 2, No more 1 year upgrades, No More Unlimited...

Quote:
Like New York City?
And just how many users are currently using LTE in NYC....again 500K total users mean maybe 100K in NYC at most doesnt begin to approach 6 million mean probably somewhere around 1million in NYC on WiMAX...

just a guessimate

Quote:
I'm not cheerleading anybody. I'm telling you what works for me. And if Verizon really will drop to 6Mb/s (as all Sprint employees have been saying for over a year now), then why shouldn't I sign up for 30Mb/s service today, then switch if the service no longer meets my needs?
Yea you are cheerleading, basically saying what works for you and your perspective, should work for everyone.

Well those Sprint employee will be right, not saying it will be 6mbs but it damn sure wont maintain that 20mbs again what your currently sitting here cheerleading as sustainable.

Quote:
Then I'll enjoy my 6Mb/s service on a 4G network from T-Mobile, AT&T, or Verizon that's 2x - 3x the size of Sprint's 4G network. After all, if the speed is the same, might as well go with whoever has the best coverage, right?
T mobile wont be around, and AT&T please they couldn't even get a decent 3G network out the gate before the iPhone crushed them.

Sprint Wimax is currently in 75 market, at last count (not counting Airports) LTE was in 60? so when did 60 become greater than 75?

T Mobile and AT&T current Do Not have a 4G network...

Old 06-29-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Yea you are cheerleading, basically saying what works for you and your perspective, should work for everyone
Quote the post where I said that, please. In fact, I've been preaching the opposite since forever:

Quote:
In reality, there is no one universal fit for everyone. It's important to get a device that you personally enjoy using, regardless of what anyone else tells you.
Quote:
Like just about everything else in wireless, all that matters is your own personal experience.
Quote:
This is the one universal, unwavering truth of wireless: "YMMV". I've been saying for years that the only point of consideration that matters is how well a given carrier / device works for you personally.

Quote:
Well those Sprint employee will be right, not saying it will be 6mbs but it damn sure wont maintain that 20mbs again what your currently sitting here cheerleading as sustainable.
That's your problem. You're so wrapped up in cheerleading yourself that you're just making things up. Where did I ever say my performance was never going to change?

Quote:
Sprint Wimax is currently in 75 market, at last count (not counting Airports) LTE was in 60? so when did 60 become greater than 75?
According to Sprint, they provide 4G coverage to 40 million people. AT&T plans to have two-thirds of their network upgraded to 4G by the end of this year (considering most of their cells are now equipped with HSPA+ sans enhanced backhaul, this translates to about 165 million subs, or roughly 82 million today). T-Mobile's 4G covers about 200 million users. Verizon pretty much buries their sub count for 4G, but based on their financials, they're available to somewhere between 110 - 185 million.

40 million < 82 million < 110 million < 200 million.

Quote:
T Mobile and AT&T current Do Not have a 4G network...
According to the ITU, they do: ITU redefines 4G to include LTE, WiMAX and HSPA+

Old 06-29-2011, 09:48 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Quote:
Quote the post where I said that, please. In fact, I've been preaching the opposite since forever:

That's your problem. You're so wrapped up in cheerleading yourself that you're just making things up. Where did I ever say my performance was never going to change?

... [SNIP] ...

According to the ITU, they do: ITU redefines 4G to include LTE, WiMAX and HSPA+
Let it go man, you're wasting YOUR time.

As a happy Sprint customer, there's very little chance that I'd switch back to Verizon in the near future. Sprint offers a good service and while I was with Verizon, they did as well. Given that I am a happy Sprint customer, I was supporting Blackbeauty212, given Sprint's pricing structure and value... but since he/she threw all logic out the window in this debate, I think you should just let it go and do something more productive, lol.

Btw, Verizon still does promotional upgrades every year, it's just not official. My gf still gets early upgrade options every 12 months even though her contract is for two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones