Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 11:13 AM

770 posts, read 1,797,912 times

Advertisements

So I wonder why Verizon ditched the unlimited data plans? Is it soley for money?

I just left Sprint after 15 days (I was on a 30-day trial period), and I had a cool phone (the 4G Evo Shift). However, in the short amount of time that I had the phone, signal was very eradic (and I live right in the middle of the city), and I had NUMEROUS dropped calls.

Sprints price is indeed better (especially for smartphones), but their coverage simply isn't. So I went back Verizon. However, knowing that Verizons data plans have changed and how much more expensive their smartphone plans are than everyone elses, I just ended up getting a simple, cheap phone on a unlimited text/mobile-mobile plan for only slightly more than what sprint wanted for a plan on one of their cheap phones.

For now, I' am content with the cheap phone with Verizon because I don't need all of the apps and other bells and whistles that come with smartphones and I know that I won't have very many dropped calls because of Verizons better coverage. Someday though, if I can afford it, I would like to get a smartphone with verizon or maybe go back to sprint and get a newer EVO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 05:51 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
If Sprint ever gets the iphone, it's a wrap. All of the fanboys will be jumping ship. Pound for pound Sprint IS the best. Their phone selection has always been their achilles heel.
Once they get LTE up and running, I will definitely consider them again.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:56 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,014,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
So I wonder why Verizon ditched the unlimited data plans? Is it soley for money?
With their blazing 4G LTE speeds truly unlimited data would probably entice a lot of people to tether their phones and cancel home internet connections. Unlike 3G the 4G network feels just like being on a fast broadband connection. It does beg the question - what is the point of 10+Mbps download speeds when you can't watch more than a few hours of video before blowing through your monthly data cap?

Old 08-24-2011, 04:05 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post

I just left Sprint after 15 days (I was on a 30-day trial period), and I had a cool phone (the 4G Evo Shift). However, in the short amount of time that I had the phone, signal was very eradic (and I live right in the middle of the city), and I had NUMEROUS dropped calls.

Sprints price is indeed better (especially for smartphones), but their coverage simply isn't. So I went back Verizon. However, knowing that Verizons data plans have changed and how much more expensive their smartphone plans are than everyone elses, I just ended up getting a simple, cheap phone on a unlimited text/mobile-mobile plan for only slightly more than what sprint wanted for a plan on one of their cheap phones.

For now, I' am content with the cheap phone with Verizon because I don't need all of the apps and other bells and whistles that come with smartphones and I know that I won't have very many dropped calls because of Verizons better coverage. Someday though, if I can afford it, I would like to get a smartphone with verizon or maybe go back to sprint and get a newer EVO.
1st you should make sure it wasn't your phone...

2nd if the problem is at your Apt or House...Ask Sprint to give you an Airave signal booster that hooks into your router and provides a mini-tower for home coverage. Sprint gives these away for free with a simple call to CS.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
With their blazing 4G LTE speeds truly unlimited data would probably entice a lot of people to tether their phones and cancel home internet connections.
Yeah, I'll be honest -- my Tbolt is about 6x as fast as my Comcast connection. So when I need to download large files (think 4-gig ISOs), I fire up my Thunderbolt's mobile hotspot and use that instead.

Believe me, I've thought about canceling my home Internet connection. Were it not for the fact that my cable TV price would rise by almost as much, I would.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:20 PM

858 posts, read 2,993,425 times
So, what does the average consumer use? Is 2GB/$30 average, or will most end up at $50 a month in data usage?

Old 08-25-2011, 01:21 PM

Some people do just fine with 2GB, others use more. It all depends on how you use your phone. If you're tethering as your home connection, expect to use at least 10-15GB.

There may be an industry-wide average out there, but that doesn't mean much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones