U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 11:48 PM

379 posts, read 295,232 times

Advertisements

I want to leave cellphone #1 somewhere so that I appear to be in that location. I'll forward the calls from cellphone #1 to cellphone #2, which is in the location where I actually am. Which cell tower shows up on the bill when that phone is called- the cell tower where cellphone #1 is located, or where cellphone #2 is located?

In other words, I want to leave a phone somewhere so that I appear to be in that location.

Last edited by Vintage Sunlight; 07-31-2011 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 11:54 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,442,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Federal View Post
Here's the situation: I currently have a smartphone that is provided by my company to me. The bills (Verizon) go directly to the company and I have no access to them. I am a field employee, which means I am tracked by the cell phone tower which originates and/or receives the phone call. Okay.

My company designates that I must live within the area they service, which is Virginia. I prefer to live in another state, for arguments sake, lets say, North Carolina. My company does not service NC and therefore I am not permitted to live there. Question: if I leave the company cell phone at a location in VA, and forward my calls to my own personal cell phone, which is with me in NC, which cell phone tower will show up on the bill when I answer a forwarded call?

In other words, I want to leave the phone somewhere so that I appear to be in that location.
Does your company require that you leave the GPS turned on? If not, turn it off. If they do, the phone will show at the tower it is physically located at. Call forwarding is done at the switch but it may show up on the bill as a forwarded call. Why does your company want to tell you where to live?

Old 08-01-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
Does your company require that you leave the GPS turned on? If not, turn it off. If they do, the phone will show at the tower it is physically located at. Call forwarding is done at the switch but it may show up on the bill as a forwarded call. Why does your company want to tell you where to live?
Edited for clarity. GPS can be off. Not sure what you mean by "call forwarding is done at the switch".

Old 08-01-2011, 12:48 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,122,100 times
Quote:
Edited for clarity. GPS can be off. Not sure what you mean by "call forwarding is done at the switch".
Call forwarding is handled on the network side, not through your phone. When you enable call forwarding on your phone, all it does is dial a special number (for example, *721112223333). The network interprets this as a request to forward all calls to 111-222-3333.

To answer your original question, yes, the phone network will show your cell phone #1 at its actual location.

However, you will be far from "hidden". If someone (such as a law enforcement officer) subpoenas the carrier, he or she will see that cell phone #1 was connected to tower A. He or she will also see that cell phone #1 was forwarded to cell phone #2, that cell phone #2 was connected to tower B, that a call was placed to cell phone #1's number at 10:14am on 8/2/11, and that said call was terminated (received) at cell phone #2 on tower B.

Since your bill doesn't show tower locations, your question isn't very clear. Why don't you tell us what you're trying to accomplish, so we can give you better advice?

Old 08-01-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
Call forwarding is handled on the network side, not through your phone. When you enable call forwarding on your phone, all it does is dial a special number (for example, *721112223333). The network interprets this as a request to forward all calls to 111-222-3333.

To answer your original question, yes, the phone network will show your cell phone #1 at its actual location.

However, you will be far from "hidden". If someone (such as a law enforcement officer) subpoenas the carrier, he or she will see that cell phone #1 was connected to tower A. He or she will also see that cell phone #1 was forwarded to cell phone #2, that cell phone #2 was connected to tower B, that a call was placed to cell phone #1's number at 10:14am on 8/2/11, and that said call was terminated (received) at cell phone #2 on tower B.

Since your bill doesn't show tower locations, your question isn't very clear. Why don't you tell us what you're trying to accomplish, so we can give you better advice?
Not looking to evade law enforcement, just my job. What I'm trying to accomplish is living someplace where my "company" does not permit me to live. I'd rather not get into the why or how come's, its political and just is the fact.

For example, NJ is passing a law that prevents govt employees from living in another (low tax) state, such as PA or Delaware. Basically, fairly or not, the NJ state govt wants their tax money. It's a similar situation.

The "company" uses Verizon, and from what I remember when I did see a bill several years ago, the cell phone tower where the call originated and the cell tower where I received a call is listed.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:18 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,122,100 times
Quote:
Not looking to evade law enforcement, just my job. What I'm trying to accomplish is living someplace where my "company" does not permit me to live. I'd rather not get into the why or how come's, its political and just is the fact.

For example, NJ is passing a law that prevents govt employees from living in another (low tax) state, such as PA or Delaware. Basically, fairly or not, the NJ state govt wants their tax money. It's a similar situation.

The "company" uses Verizon, and from what I remember when I did see a bill several years ago, the cell phone tower where the call originated and the cell tower where I received a call is listed.
Well, to make a very long story very short, the location of any phone can be determined with ease. Even if the phone is off, GPS is disabled, and tower-based location services are disabled, all modern phones can be commanded by the carrier to report their location. This generally is used in emergency situations, but is very common. The carrier can immediately report an accurate location or range ("The device is within 300 meters of (some coordinates), approximately 150 feet above ground level"). Precision improves dramatically when two or more cells are involved.

An interested party with the legal right to do so will be able to see very easily that the phone is being forwarded to another phone. If that other phone is your personal phone, and not paid for by the state or your employer, then it would be very difficult for your employer to make the case that they are somehow entitled to your personal call records. On the other hand, if obtaining a job while living outside a geographic area is a criminal act, then who knows. Court orders can be powerful things.

Your bill will show an "Origination" and "Destination" field. However, these usually correspond to either the NPA-NXX of the terminating number (the "Destination" field) or the approximate geographic area where the call originated. Looking at my bill, I see entries such as "Harrisburg" and "Philadelphia", meaning these origination areas are quite large. They're also frequently inaccurate. If you place a phone call from Camden, your bill may actually show the call originating from "Philadelphia" based on what cell your phone actually attaches to. This actually happens quite frequently, and is why nobody* uses these fields on your bill to determine actual location.

So suffice to say, it is technically possible for a company to see that calls to cell phone #1 were forwarded to cell phone #2, and where both cell phones were physically located at the time of that call. The actual practice of this really comes down to more of a legal question, which is beyond the scope of what this forum can offer.

Ultra-short answer: From a technical perspective, they can see where you are and what you did. This may not, however, be feasible.

* - I'm sure there are jealous spouses and cut-rate PIs who use this method, but it's highly inaccurate and would be shot down in any legal proceeding in seconds flat.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:58 PM

So, it seems that if they delved into it, they could find out, but on the surface, the tower that comes up will be where the cellphone #1 is placed. Thanks.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
You should just turn off the GPS feature on the phone. Then, only the police have access to the tower info where you are. The boss does not. Unless you work for the police of course.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post

This is true but cell companies will give that info only to law enforcement and not to a snooping useless boss.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:

Just my own view- the company has no business telling an employee where to live unless the job involves public safety. Unless you are a cop, fireman or paramedic, you should be able to live where you wish. I would never ever entertain being employed by a company that tried to dictate my life outside their workplace. Then again, I would not submit to drug testing either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones