U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 10:19 AM

1,745 posts, read 1,627,220 times

Advertisements

I realize this is probably a stupid question, but I'm not really in the know about cellphones although I have had a few regular phones.

I'm going to be shopping for a new one soon and I'm trying to get as much information as possible. I tried googling the question but ended up more confused then ever. All I could come up with was a bunch of scientific gibberish lol

Help please, in Laymans terms. For instance what are "Gs" ? That's how green I am at this lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 10:22 AM

34,500 posts, read 60,089,903 times
My smartphone is more-or-less a pocket computer with phone capability.

There is so much more one can do with a processer, apps(programs), and internet access in a phone. Much more than just making phone calls.

Here is a thread where we got to comparing apps:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/cell-...pp-thread.html

Old 08-29-2011, 10:35 AM

301 posts, read 1,205,603 times
Generally speaking, a smartphone wil have an e-mail application on it allowing let's say your personal email (yahoo, home isp, etc) to be pushed to your mobile phone. A smartphone will also have web browser on it allowing you to enter in a url.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:44 AM

But how is the internet different on a normal cellphone ?

The last cell I had, had internet browsing on it. So wouldn't that be the same thing ?

Also, I don't know much about "apps", except that when I had my last phone these were special additions that cost extra money.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:13 PM

8,321 posts, read 13,697,709 times
A regular cellphone is a phone whose main purpose is for calling. Nowadays, some can do basic texting, internet, and email. Some even have the ability to install "apps" or "Applications". Sometimes they are called "Additions". These are programs that increase functionality of the phone. However, all of them are basic due to the limitations of the phone.

A smartphone is a phone that is a faster, more powerful, more web-ready and have a better, bigger, and more vibrant screen. Having a smartphone is akin to having a full computer in your pocket that has the capability of making phone calls.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:16 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,727,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
I realize this is probably a stupid question, but I'm not really in the know about cellphones although I have had a few regular phones.

I'm going to be shopping for a new one soon and I'm trying to get as much information as possible. I tried googling the question but ended up more confused then ever. All I could come up with was a bunch of scientific gibberish lol

Help please, in Laymans terms. For instance what are "Gs" ? That's how green I am at this lol
The G stands for Generation. 3G means 3rd generation of standards for mobile networks, 4G means 4th generation...etc. It's just an easy-to-use label for what type of network the phone uses.

Last edited by kazyn; 08-29-2011 at 04:36 PM..

Old 08-30-2011, 08:40 AM

11,972 posts, read 14,105,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
A smartphone is a phone that is a faster, more powerful, more web-ready and have a better, bigger, and more vibrant screen.
Rita explains it pretty well. I would just add that using the internet on a smart phone is almost exactly like using it on your computer. When you use the internet on a "dumb phone" it uses a special type of internet browser that formats pages differently so it doesn't look quite the same and isn't as easy to navigate.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:59 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,474,774 times
Think of a smartphone as a mini-PC. You can install apps (programs) on it, you can browse the Internet, and as an added bonus, you can even use it as a phone sometimes! A regular cell phone might be able to do some of those tasks, but usually not as well as a smartphone or PC.

A cell phone's #1 priority is making and receiving calls and text / picture messages. Most modern cell phones can do more, just not very well. A smartphone's #1 priority is whatever you want it to be.

As for the "G"s, kazyn hit the nail on the head. To simplify it even further, think of your "G" as a speed limit. 4G can be faster than 3G, while 3G can be faster than 2G (although devices below 3G are awfully hard to find in a store these days). Your actual speeds will vary depending on a lot of factors.

If you're unsure as to whether or not a smartphone is for you, you should probably check out one of the no-contract carriers like Virgin Mobile first. You won't be able to take your smartphone with you to another carrier, but the money you'll save on the cheaper rate plan will more than make up for that.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:25 AM

24,497 posts, read 36,169,840 times
A smartphone will talk back to you when you have no one to call.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
A smartphone will talk back to you when you have no one to call.

Really ??? I can't tell if you're serious or joking lol

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm still researching all cell phones until around the 22nd or so when I'll finally be able to get one. Juries still out lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones