U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-05-2011, 05:48 PM

674 posts, read 1,465,478 times
Definitely skip the iPhone 4S unless you like the user interface and accessories (docks, etc).
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 06:35 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,421,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Are you in an area that currently has Verizon 4G LTE available? That should be a consideration.
you're right -- and yes i am. verizon is the only carrier in my area that has 4g.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:52 AM

7,285 posts, read 13,815,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmcke01 View Post
I am on AT&T and eligible for upgrade in December, and I am planning to get one of these phones. Which should I get and what makes it better than the others?
Which ever phone is "best" is up to personal opinion, and, more importantly, what each offers what you value most.

Think about what you need and/or want from the device, and the decision should be clear.

Quote:
Carrier/phone availability:

Apple iPhone 4S - AT&T, Verizon, Sprint
Samsung Galaxy S II - AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile
Samsung Nexus Prime - Verizon
I thought the Nexus was available to all major carriers?

Old 10-06-2011, 03:21 PM

2,762 posts, read 5,176,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I thought the Nexus was available to all major carriers?
I'm pretty sure it will be exclusive to Verizon for an undefined period of time. Verizon passed on getting the Samsung Galaxy II S, and I suspect having exclusive access to the Samsung Nexus Prime was part of the trade-off for that.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:59 PM

90 posts, read 71,579 times
IMHO, iPhone 4S is still the best smartphone without a doubt giving its upgrade in hardware, furthermore, it has the best OS in the market.

We still know little about Nexus, so wait if you want Android and 4G. Otherwise, go with iPhone 4S.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:57 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,048 posts, read 1,925,467 times
Quote:
The iPhone 4S will not have true 4G on board. Instead, it will have support for HSPA at 14.4 Mbps which won’t even be available on Sprint or Verizon. The Sprint and Verizon iPhone 4S’ will be limited to CDMA’s 3G EVDO while AT&T’s HSPDA network will not allow iPhone 4S users to achieve those sorts of data speeds. This gives the Nexus Prime a huge speed advantage with a new ICS OS and 4G LTE.
So we know the prime will be super fast, but there are still some unknowns about the new ice cream sandwich OS and pricing. We will have to wait until Nov. before we really know all of the facts about the Nexus.

Can the Samsung Nexus Prime Compete with the iPhone 4S?

Old 10-09-2011, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,093 times
Default Galaxy S2 or Nexus Prime for t-mobile?

Hi, I have been awaiting the release of the Samsung galaxy as 2/Hercules for some months now. I have been hearing about the impending release of the Nexus prime, however. I have been using an iPhone 3Gs for the last two years, and have been very annoyed with being unable to get 3G or 4G speeds using T-Mobile, which is my carrier. Does it make sense to wait for a Nexus prime version that would work with T-Mobile that would get 3G or 4G speeds, or get the Samsung galaxy s2(Hercules) when it comes out tomorrow? Why or why not? Any insight into this will go a long way for me.

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Carrier/phone availability:

Apple iPhone 4S - AT&T, Verizon, Sprint
Samsung Galaxy S II - AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile
Samsung Nexus Prime - Verizon

If you want to stay on AT&T (you mentioned an upgrade), only the first two phones will be possibilities. Among the 3 phones listed, I think the Nexus Prime (the one NOT on A&T) will be the best.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:26 PM

1,439 posts, read 1,839,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emceeaye View Post
Does it make sense to wait for a Nexus prime version that would work with T-Mobile that would get 3G or 4G speeds
Since there are so many unknowns about the phone, no.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:28 PM

1,439 posts, read 1,839,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
So we know the prime will be super fast, but there are still some unknowns about the new ice cream sandwich OS and pricing. We will have to wait until Nov. before we really know all of the facts about the Nexus.
The biggest draw of the Nexus is that it's a "Google Experience" device. No bloatware, just the stock apps without the need to root.

That's a pretty big deal for me, since Verizon just pushed Slacker to my Thunderbolt over the last few days. I wouldn't have noticed except for the fact that Slacker was working fine until the push. Today, it's a blank screen.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:30 AM

46 posts, read 105,993 times
Default GSM maybe

From the news over the weekend it sounds like there will be GSM versions of the Nexus Prime. I just hope they go ahead and release the information about it.

I checked out the Galaxy S2 at the AT&T store and I liked it a lot, but if the Nexus Prime will be coming to AT&T and be better than the Galaxy S2 then I might get that instead. I don't like the curved glass screen of the "leaked" pictures I have seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones