Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2011, 08:33 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times

Advertisements

I think it's about time to replace my current phone. Overall I'm happy with it, but it's 3 years old and about worn out.

I usually just go with whatever promo phone the carrier is offering, but this time I'm looking for a multi-function device that I can use to take good pictures and listen to music. I don't text other than to send pictures occasionally, and I have no need or desire to access the internet from my phone. Prefer feature phones to smart phones, but will go to a smart phone if I have to to get what I want. I also prefer real keypads to touch screens. It also has to be fully supported by the manufacturer with drivers available to transfer pictures and music.

Hopefully what I'm looking for is out there somewhere, any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 09:47 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I think it's about time to replace my current phone. Overall I'm happy with it, but it's 3 years old and about worn out.

I usually just go with whatever promo phone the carrier is offering, but this time I'm looking for a multi-function device that I can use to take good pictures and listen to music. I don't text other than to send pictures occasionally, and I have no need or desire to access the internet from my phone. Prefer feature phones to smart phones, but will go to a smart phone if I have to to get what I want. I also prefer real keypads to touch screens. It also has to be fully supported by the manufacturer with drivers available to transfer pictures and music.

Hopefully what I'm looking for is out there somewhere, any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Which carrier are you on?

It sounds to me that that a low end smartphone with a physical keyboard, like the Blackberry Curve 9330 or the LG Enlighten (both on Verizon), would work well for you.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:57 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
We're currently on US Cellular but our contract is up so we're no longer bound to them.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:14 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,089 times
Amazon is currently offering all Verizon devices -- smartphones, feature phones, dumbphones, you name it -- for one cent on a new contract. iPhone not included. Since the monthly cost will be the same, this means you can get into a high-end device for the same price than a low-end device. I'm not sure when this plan ends, though.

Visit your local carrier's stores and play with some live models. While you won't get a perfect real-world experience (since you won't be able to upload the photos), you'll get a good feel for the operation & quality of the device.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:24 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,762 times
You might look at Consumer Cellular, which is the highest rated No Contract provider. They offer about 5 different phones and have a smart phone among the choices. Here's a page which compares the two phones they offer which have the qwerty keyboard. https://www.consumercellular.com/Inf...risonChart/365

I've had CC for about 5 years and can say their customer service is outstanding, and the web site is great. I can change my plan for the month online at any time, for instance, if I see I'm going to need more minutes in a given month.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:47 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Since 2005, I had been w/ AT&T & got a new phone about every 2-3 yrs. I had a Samsung Eternity & I liked it. My contract was over long ago.

I just got a Samsung Dart Android Smartphone last week. I don't text that much at all...just w/ one coworker occasionally. It's a nice phone...not the most top of the line. I paid $130 & they're usually $150. I'm now w/ T-Mobile. It's a touchscreen & I don't like the small buttons & I can't use the tip of my nail. You have to actually touch it w/ the roundness of your finger. Why did I get it then you ask? I ordered it through HSN, so I didn't have a chance to test it out & hold it in my hands, otherwise, I wouldn't have gotten it, but since I don't text much, I'm not going to reuturn it. It will be alright &I'm already getting used to the buttons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones