Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 03:03 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times

Advertisements

Anyone else notice this? Couldn't justify $30 a month of data I rarely used. I have a computer for email. I recently sold my eris on ebay, and went back to my Black razr2. Well, the razr2 broke last week. So, now, I'm left with regular phones that wouldn't even impress the biggest nerds.

EVERY current regular phone has intentionally been made to look lame. They could easily design a non-smartphone with a keyboard like the Samsung Alias, except made to look cool.

I understand I'm in the minority here, but the way I see it, if you pay for a data plan, you are just giving them free money in a down economy. Just what Verizon wants.

30 x 12 = $360

I personally would not give anyone $360 for no reason. I understand for some people it's essential to be able to check email and reply instantly at any given time. Smartphones have intentionally been made to "require" a data plan, when it could have been engineered to NOT require one, and just use wi-fi when it's available, which is basically everywhere given it's 2011, and the US is not sub-saharan Africa.

I think it's sad that a stylish dumbphone can't be found anywhere. Verizon knows it would hurt their profits, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 06:29 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
This clever tactic is most noticeable on Verizon.

On Sprint, I personally think the Sanyo Innuendo looks pretty good for a feature phone with a qwerty keyboard.

Personally, I wish that the big four would leave behind the voice-only options... and leave that for prepaid. Focus their resources on improving the data networks.

It's typically a bad model to have both high end and lower end devices under the same branding.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:45 AM

181 posts, read 303,914 times
When you get old enough you won't care what it looks like as long as it does what you want it to do.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:15 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
My wife has a decent looking dumb phone with touch screen that appears to be a smart phone to the casual passerby, just smaller. It's an LG cosmos touch from verizon, slideout keyboard.

She has an i-pad so no need for smart phone. I love my android, though I thought like the op that it was not needed after a few weeks I wonder how I managed without it.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:32 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
There are options to a major carrier, discussed in other threads on this same forum. I ported my ERIS to an alternate carrier which resells Verizon. My plan includes 1200 minutes talk and 100 megs of data. I have little need of data and use my home WIFI, not Vz network.

$30 a month x 12 months = your same $360 (annual total)... for same service, including talk/text/data.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:53 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
I'm in the market for two phones with keyboards that do not require data plans. They are getting harder to find. I am choosing between Sprint and T-Mobile. I'm considering just using my old BB with no data plan, but I'm not sure if it will last (micro-usb is getting loose). I hope something is available.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:03 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Anyone else notice this? Couldn't justify $30 a month of data I rarely used. I have a computer for email. I recently sold my eris on ebay, and went back to my Black razr2. Well, the razr2 broke last week. So, now, I'm left with regular phones that wouldn't even impress the biggest nerds.

EVERY current regular phone has intentionally been made to look lame. They could easily design a non-smartphone with a keyboard like the Samsung Alias, except made to look cool.

I understand I'm in the minority here, but the way I see it, if you pay for a data plan, you are just giving them free money in a down economy. Just what Verizon wants.

30 x 12 = $360

I personally would not give anyone $360 for no reason. I understand for some people it's essential to be able to check email and reply instantly at any given time. Smartphones have intentionally been made to "require" a data plan, when it could have been engineered to NOT require one, and just use wi-fi when it's available, which is basically everywhere given it's 2011, and the US is not sub-saharan Africa.

I think it's sad that a stylish dumbphone can't be found anywhere. Verizon knows it would hurt their profits, lol.
Check out PagePlus Wireless. They operate on the Verizon network (using any Verizon or unlocked CDMA phone). You can get 1200 minutes talk time and 3000 text messages (and 100 mb data, if you want it), for just $29.95 per month. If you want unlimited talk and text (w/ 40mb data) you can pay $40.

For GSM phones there is H2O and SimpleMobile.

You can get lots of good looking phones on the secondary market. You can even buy a good looking Smart Phone and NOT have to have Smart Phone Service, which is what I did.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-15-2011, 09:38 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times
I agree completely with the OP...basically the only place I'm at that doesn't have wifi is in my car. And I certainly don't need to be Facebooking then!! Data packages seem like a huge scam to me. Another thing holding me back is that lots of the seemingly unlimited data plans slow down after a certain amount of data.

I already have an ipod touch so now I just buy the cheapest decent phone I can find. As long as it has a usable keyboard, a camera, and is a flip phone (no pocket dialing), it's fine with me.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:58 AM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiunion View Post
When you get old enough you won't care what it looks like as long as it does what you want it to do.
Ha, I'll second that (T-Mobile plain vanilla phone here)...

Old 10-15-2011, 01:26 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
There are options to a major carrier, discussed in other threads on this same forum. I ported my ERIS to an alternate carrier which resells Verizon. My plan includes 1200 minutes talk and 100 megs of data. I have little need of data and use my home WIFI, not Vz network.

$30 a month x 12 months = your same $360 (annual total)... for same service, including talk/text/data.
Which carrier? I will look into it and see if available in my region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones