U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2011, 01:01 PM
JL JL started this thread

7,369 posts, read 12,075,177 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of a reliable site besides Ebay where i can get an old TMobile phone? My father broke his phone and i want to keep the same family plan we have. He had previously lost his two phones already. It is getting expensive buying him another new phone. I just need a phone that works...something in the $20-40 range.

I had asked TMobile about getting a new plan since i am no longer under contract, thus new phones are free. However, they told me that i had some upgrade plan with no contract already so i will never be eligible for free or discounted phones even with a new contract unless i get a new/change phone number. I don't want to do that since it will be such a hassle telling my friends/family of the new number changes. I am currently under a plan with 1500 minutes and paying only 80 bucks per month which i really like. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 11:23 PM

146 posts, read 238,114 times
I know several people that use craigslist for selling and buying phones. I know its difficult to tell if the listing is legitimate or not but it could be worth a shot.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:53 AM

40,035 posts, read 57,905,797 times
Any particular model? I have few older ones at home...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:07 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,462,493 times
My vote is for eBay. Just make sure you're buying from a reputable seller (reputation over 99%) and make sure they'll take a refund if the IMEI is dead. Also, if you purchase by credit card, you'll have some added protection. If they advertise a working model and send you a dud, and eBay's refund procedures don't work, you can always file a chargeback with your credit card company.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:54 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,653,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachgeek View Post
I know several people that use craigslist for selling and buying phones. I know its difficult to tell if the listing is legitimate or not but it could be worth a shot.
I would not buy anything off Craigslist. 90% of the stuff on it is a scam.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:55 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,653,725 times
Any flea market on any weekend usually has booths that have used phones and, since your phone has a SIM card, trying out a used one is easy.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:04 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,462,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
Any flea market on any weekend usually has booths that have used phones and, since your phone has a SIM card, trying out a used one is easy.
Good point!

Some of the old Cingular GSM handsets and first-gen AT&T GSM handsets will have subsidy locks in place, but the rest should be clear. And OP will find out instantly whether or not it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones