U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-19-2011, 05:17 PM
 
3,118 posts, read 3,936,124 times
Reputation: 2869

Advertisements

Was NOT looking forward to having to switch to Sprint after AT&T bought out T-Mo....and I sure as hell wasn't going to stick with AT&T and their horrible network.

The AT&T/T-Mobile Merger Is Dead | TechCrunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-19-2011, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Downtown Harrisburg
1,434 posts, read 3,461,969 times
Reputation: 1009
This was a terrible idea from the start. The only thing worse was AT&T's laughable proclamations like "but the customers told us they want LESS competition!".

AT&T spent the past few quarters whining about how their network was on the verge of collapse and could only be saved by a takeover of T-Mobile. Like a spoiled child, they threatened to go out of business if they didn't get their way.

It's going to be interesting to see how much bandwidth they "miraculously find".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 08:42 AM
 
1,446 posts, read 2,574,638 times
Reputation: 2054
Will t-mobile go under on their own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Downtown Harrisburg
1,434 posts, read 3,461,969 times
Reputation: 1009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
Will t-mobile go under on their own?
That seems unlikely, though it is a possibility. T-Mobile's financials show no sign of impending trouble.

Part of me still wants to see Sprint and T-Mobile get together. The incompatible base technologies could be managed while both transition over to an LTE network. Such a merger would result in three strong national carriers instead of the two strong + two weak we have right now.

But I'd be even happier keeping us at four carriers. More carriers = more competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Northern MN
3,869 posts, read 13,338,440 times
Reputation: 3581
It is about spectrum.
More spectrum better service.

They shouldn't have gone after such a large CO , instead they should buy up smaller regional carriers.

Like another cell(sprint) Co just did, yet you didn't hear a thing about it..
If sprint goes after t-mobile they too will be shot down.

At&T isn't the only one buying up spectrum.

I've have had the best service from AT&T than any other carrier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2011, 10:56 PM
 
Location: The Brightest City On Earth
1,282 posts, read 1,653,386 times
Reputation: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Was NOT looking forward to having to switch to Sprint after AT&T bought out T-Mo....and I sure as hell wasn't going to stick with AT&T and their horrible network.

The AT&T/T-Mobile Merger Is Dead | TechCrunch
thank God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2011, 10:58 PM
 
Location: The Brightest City On Earth
1,282 posts, read 1,653,386 times
Reputation: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
It is about spectrum.
More spectrum better service.

They shouldn't have gone after such a large CO , instead they should buy up smaller regional carriers.

Like another cell(sprint) Co just did, yet you didn't hear a thing about it..
If sprint goes after t-mobile they too will be shot down.

At&T isn't the only one buying up spectrum.

I've have had the best service from AT&T than any other carrier.
They should not be allowed to buy anything else. In fact, the DOJ should force them to divest either their wireline or wireless holdings. Verizon too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2011, 11:01 PM
 
Location: The Brightest City On Earth
1,282 posts, read 1,653,386 times
Reputation: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
This was a terrible idea from the start. The only thing worse was AT&T's laughable proclamations like "but the customers told us they want LESS competition!".

AT&T spent the past few quarters whining about how their network was on the verge of collapse and could only be saved by a takeover of T-Mobile. Like a spoiled child, they threatened to go out of business if they didn't get their way.

It's going to be interesting to see how much bandwidth they "miraculously find".
It was them that demanded 5 years of exclusive on the iPhone knowing full well it was going to tax their network in dense areas. If they could not handle the iPhone they should have let other carriers sell it too and spread the usage out of 2 or 3 networks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2011, 11:24 PM
 
Location: Downtown Harrisburg
1,434 posts, read 3,461,969 times
Reputation: 1009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
It was them that demanded 5 years of exclusive on the iPhone knowing full well it was going to tax their network in dense areas. If they could not handle the iPhone they should have let other carriers sell it too and spread the usage out of 2 or 3 networks.
You've nailed it. That's why nobody -- including their customers -- ever bought into AT&T's claim to be surprised by the iPhone uptake. They spent millions on market research and sales forecasting, and everything was calculated to the penny. They made a killing at the expense of their network performance, and today they're paying for it dearly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2011, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Northern MN
3,869 posts, read 13,338,440 times
Reputation: 3581
When t-mobile goes bankrupt they will auction off the spectrum.

When the "merger" buy out of t-mobile started any employee that was worth a pile of beans quit and found a new job. This left t-mobile in a bind as their best employes left. They are now on a downward spiral.
It will not be long.
At&T would only fave kept only a fraction of t-mobiles employes.

Every large cell phone Co is buying up other company's for there spectrum, as you know is it a limited resource.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top