U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2012, 10:08 AM

7,376 posts, read 13,040,851 times

Advertisements

Im ready to upgrade my old droid x.

I was looking at a few phones but im out of the loop. I dont know whats good. I had a lot of problems with the x. I would also consider iphone but not a fan of itunes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 01:05 PM

3,547 posts, read 5,685,184 times
Bionic here; I've had it for a few months and overall I'm really happy with the phone. It's really snappy, and none of the apps I've used have any lag or speed issues (other than Firefox, but that's a FF issue).

I decided on it before the Razr and Nexus came out, so was comparing it to the Thunderbolt and Revolution at the time.

For my money, it's by far the best in that price range on Verizon ($99), it's also better than the Charge or DROID4 for less money. If you want to spend the extra $$ for a bit more phone then I'd get one of the others, but I don't know how much better they are to justify the extra $100 to $200.

The big difference between the other two and the Bionic is the display. It's got a qHD display and is more viewable in direct sunlight, but you'll notice the grid in some circumstances. If you don't use it in direct sunlight you probably won't notice it, but this alone makes checking them out in the store a necessity.

The Nexus is ICS, but the other two are supposed to get ICS "soon" (whatever that means).

The only problems I've had is that it's reverted the ringtone and background to stock twice. The background will correct itself on reboot, but the ringtone had to be reset by hand. I did have a couple of trivial apps that once installed would cause the phone to randomly reboot, removing them corrected the issue (these were both Amazon apps of the day, so weren't anything I couldn't live without).

I think in general all of the LTE phones have shorter battery life, and can get quite hot when really hammering the LTE connection (heavy streaming like OnLive). I've also read some reviews where people have had issues switching to and from LTE, but haven't experience that myself.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:35 PM

14,545 posts, read 16,567,447 times
Nexus. ICS has some issues with being backwards compatible with apps. Supposedly it's backwards compatible... but yeah, it's not really. The short comings are the camera is merely okay and it's got typical LTE battery life, which is to say if you use it heavily you will not make it through on a single charge. The construction is also kinda chintzy compared with an iPhone or even a Droid RAZR. I'll take the chintzy construction for swappable battery and the better screen. I don't buy into the whole "pure Android" crap. It's nonsense. I'm not getting the latest Android builds pushed OTA... I'm on 4.02 and 4.04 released a month ago. Updates and function on so-called "pure Android" are really the same as any other Android phone.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:51 PM

3,547 posts, read 5,685,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I'll take the chintzy construction for swappable battery and the better screen.
Forgot about that. ... the Razr trades the swappable battery for weight and size. Could be a huge negative if you don't have the ability to charge regularly.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:29 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,506,701 times
You may wish to do some research on the Raxr Maxx. While it's not perfect, no one is complaining about it's battery life, which under "normal use" supposedly lets you go two days without charging. It doesn't have the latest ICS of Android (yet) but other than that, mostly, the reviews are good.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:32 AM

11,853 posts, read 13,984,286 times
Co worker just got the Nexus. Love the size and weight.
He doesn't. Thinks it is far to big. He came from the Incredible.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:01 PM

88 posts, read 232,875 times
I waited for the Nexus to come out before making my decision. I was really set on the Nexus but ultimately went for the Razor. When I held the Nexus, it didn't feel like I was holding "quality" like I was the Razor. Also, I think the Razor had better solfware. If I remember right, the Nexus had the speed on paper but when I actually played with them, everything on the Razor flowed smoothly and loaded quick. Just flipping through pages no matter how fast or slow was seamlessly smooth.

Wasn't really big on the overly square look of the Razor at first but it has grown on me. I have a protective case on my phone and it still is ridiculously compact and flat. I have friends who's smartphones resemble bricks. I was looking for a phone and waiting for the technology to improved so I could really get a smartphone that would last a couple years and wouldn't go out of date. I think I made the right choice.

The only problem I had, along with other Razer users was having data annoyingly drop for brief moments in 3g/4g areas. It wasn't so bad in the afternoon but in the early morning (6:00 am), it was like every 10 minutes! They were suppose to fix it mid Feb. and I think they did. I just updated my phone last week and haven't had dropped data since. Also the camera focus speed is much faster and I honestly can't tell the difference between 3g/4g speeds anymore. Either one is almost instant.

I'll say this, it is really worth it to not get a Charge or something. I have relatives who didn't want to spend the extra $150 or so for the newest and greatest when I got my Razer and now are regretting it. Just loading the weather app, mine will take but a three seconds to get a full active radar up and theirs will take 15 seconds to load the map and maybe another few to make it active. My battery charge will last a day with moderate use, theirs will last "hours."

Old 02-27-2012, 11:51 AM

7,376 posts, read 13,040,851 times
Thanks for all the replies. I actually think im going to wait for the iphone in october which will be on their 4glte network.

Have a lot of problems with my droid x but ive had it this long, i can wait 5 more months
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones