U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-28-2012, 10:06 PM

821 posts, read 1,286,809 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on buying a Verizon cell phone (that is the only one that picks up in the country where we live and travel).
What is the benefit of buying from a Verizon store or from Wal-Mart or Best Buy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 12:39 PM

145 posts, read 221,721 times
I would suggest buying direct from a verizon corporate loacation or their website. Many times going through a third party can lead to headaches if you need to cancel the contract for some reason. Not only do you have to pay the carriers fee but the "authorized retailer " may have their own penaltys on top of that as well. I highly suggest if youndo decide to use walmart or any other retailer other than verizon itself, read the fine print in the contract for sure! A friend of mine just had a bad experience with a radio shack store because he didnt do his research .

Old 02-29-2012, 01:08 PM

42,284 posts, read 46,085,939 times
Often I have seen some phones on their website at better prices than in retailers or even their own stores.Its like amny of thsoe On-line only specail so common ;I guess.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:27 PM

492 posts, read 738,348 times
Our contract ended with AT&T two months ago. I was watching HSN for the deal of the day last month and ordered this LG for $99 with 1,500 min, which is good for a year. The phone is EZ to use and seems to do anything we need. They give to "triple" min. when you add more, and it has carryover so it looks as if it is a deal. If you don't like it they give you 30 days to send it back.
LG Touchscreen 2MP Camera Smartphone with 1500 Minutes and Triple Minutes for Life at HSN.com

Old 02-29-2012, 03:50 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,209,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcole07 View Post
Our contract ended with AT&T two months ago. I was watching HSN for the deal of the day last month and ordered this LG for $99 with 1,500 min, which is good for a year. The phone is EZ to use and seems to do anything we need. They give to "triple" min. when you add more, and it has carryover so it looks as if it is a deal. If you don't like it they give you 30 days to send it back.
LG Touchscreen 2MP Camera Smartphone with 1500 Minutes and Triple Minutes for Life at HSN.com
Not a Verizon phone. That's a TracFone. That particular model only uses AT&T or T-Mobile (through contract with TracFone), depending on which SIM card TracFone sends.

The main "gotcha" of not buying direct from Verizon is what others stated: SOME retailers have a secondary contract with a secondary early termination fee. The reason is the store loses its commission if you terminate your contract before a certain period of time. You can sometimes get a better deal, but know what you're getting in to.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:24 PM

492 posts, read 738,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
Not a Verizon phone. That's a TracFone. That particular model only uses AT&T or T-Mobile (through contract with TracFone), depending on which SIM card TracFone sends.

The main "gotcha" of not buying direct from Verizon is what others stated: SOME retailers have a secondary contract with a secondary early termination fee. The reason is the store loses its commission if you terminate your contract before a certain period of time. You can sometimes get a better deal, but know what you're getting in to.
That's why we went with Home Shopping, no contracts and you have 30 days to use it, and send it back if it doesn't work.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:21 PM

821 posts, read 1,286,809 times
thanks for the info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones