U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 08:36 PM

40,314 posts, read 58,423,979 times

Advertisements

I can't say that I like that.....

One police training manual describes cellphones as “the virtual biographer of our daily activities,” providing a hunting ground for learning contacts and travels.
In California, state prosecutors advised local police departments on ways to get carriers to “clone” a phone and download text messages while it is turned off.

http://nyti.ms/H7oTyU

What else is gathered by major cellphone providers:
http://lifehac.kr/HJsCG2
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 04-03-2012 at 08:52 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 08:53 PM

9,849 posts, read 16,354,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I can't say that I like that.....

One police training manual describes cellphones as “the virtual biographer of our daily activities,” providing a hunting ground for learning contacts and travels.
In California, state prosecutors advised local police departments on ways to get carriers to “clone” a phone and download text messages while it is turned off.

http://nyti.ms/H7oTyU

That very technology is what found my DD last week. She left and didn't come home, every parents' nightmare. police were able to track her, to a house about 3 miles from here. The rest is being investigated. She says she doesn't know how she got there or why.

Other tracking methods could take much more valuable time, and not be as accurate. We just thank God for that phone and the police force who were enabled to use it. Now I guess in the furture we will all need to sign privacy waivers with cell phone companies, like HIPPA

Old 04-04-2012, 04:27 PM

2,495 posts, read 3,743,250 times
No surprises here. Ive always felt that they had the capability to do so for quite some time now...theyre just now easing up on the truth

Old 04-07-2012, 10:08 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,003,436 times
The police should use all available tools to solve real (not political) crimes and punish evil doers.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:11 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,003,436 times
Also if you do not wish your phone to be tracked just buy a pre paid phone and activate it with a phoney name.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:43 PM

48,509 posts, read 85,491,618 times
I am in favor of it has it find mnay people as well as criminals.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:49 AM

18,149 posts, read 22,033,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
The police should use all available tools to solve real (not political) crimes and punish evil doers.
Just what we need, more available tools to add to the 6 million already in our jails/prisons, costing taxpayers $50k per inmate.

Carrying a cellphone with you is like carrying a spy with you, everywhere you go. I only take my cellphone with me on the days I work, so if I break down along the way, I can call work and tell them I'll be late.

Other days, wherever I go, it stays home, and I carry some coins along for a pay phone in case I need to use one.

This invasion of our privacy has gone too far! It's disconcerting enough to know that Big Brother is perhaps watching me as I post this! And I've seen the surveillance cameras as I walk around my neighborhood!

Old 05-03-2012, 12:33 PM

161 posts, read 436,463 times
The Machine sees everything, Mister Reese.
Oh ... and good luck finding a pay phone these days.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:50 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,716,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick St John View Post
Oh ... and good luck finding a pay phone these days.
That was my first thought. Haven't seen one of those in years.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:14 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,043,885 times
Unless you have something to hide and you know what it does already, whats the big deal?
Looking for some conspiracy theory into generally boring civilian lives of going to work, going to the store, picking up kids etc. Sounds like gripping and cutting edge info to have.

This technology has far more upside in deterring than oppressing. Anyone that thinks otherwise is focusing on 1% and not the 99% of its efficacy for the masses.

FYI: Carriers are required to have GPS or E911 capabilities in phones in case of emergency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones