U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 02:19 PM

2,494 posts, read 4,770,112 times

Advertisements

Why does a phone have a Youtube app, if you can also run Youtube through the phone's internet browser? I did both and they look almost exactly the same.

I guess the same is true of Facebook, mail programs, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 07:02 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,680,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Why does a phone have a Youtube app, if you can also run Youtube through the phone's internet browser? I did both and they look almost exactly the same.

The apps are usually a slight bit faster, and in some cases offer extra things that you can't get directly without them. For instance the eBay app will actually alert you to changes in semi real time, instead of having to check your email.

Most of the time a dedicated app is a bit faster than using the web, but not always. I have the IMDB app on the home screen on my tablet (that we use as a browsing appliance in the living room), and it's definitely faster than launching the browser and going to IMDB.com.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:02 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,006,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post

Because the apps are merely interfaces and framework for the same data.
One minor difference is that with a dedicated app, it can store and cache more/different data than a traditional mobile browser.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:13 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
And in the case of Android phones, most of these apps have Widgets.
So you can have your YouTube widget automatically update with channels you subscribe any time you wake your phone. Your Zillow app can give you prices of homes around you any time. Your Twitter widget feeds your Twitter stream on your home screen.

Not sure why Apple has a youTube app.

I kid...
Speed is the #1 reason. How long does it take to:
Open the browser
Click on your bookmarks
Scroll to find the one you want
Click it
Wait to load (even at 4g it takes 3 seconds)

-or-

Click app.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones