U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 01:38 PM

21,222 posts, read 16,902,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
No 12 year old needs any phone, just my opinion.
Believe it or not, 12 year olds have a need to make phone calls and text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyTrav View Post
I agree...

Best phone plan for a 12yr old is a roll of quarters and directions to the nearest phone booths.
This is absurd. You'd rather have a 12yr old walk to the ghetto (where they still have payphones these days) to make a phone call than carry a cell phone?

Keep in mind that texting and social media is the primary method of communication these days... especially for teens (which she will be a in a year or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I've had Verizon, TMobile, AT&T and Sprint-- no problems with any. I'm in a major metro area.

No one seems to have data for under $80ish/month except Cricket, and their $55 seems to include the Muve thing and no contract. I haven't tried the other 'little guys'.

Maybe I'm reading the TMo plans wrong. I'll stop in there tomorrow. Last time I looked at their plans, buying $100 prepaid at a time was the best deal for her, which is why I went that route.
You can get Sprint via EPRP for $69.99 ($59.99 for voice/text/data + $10 for smartphone) here: Sprint | Everything Plus(SM) Referral Program

The referral details are: Russ.S.McGuire@Sprint.com and 383

Russ McGuire, a VP at Sprint shares his referral information openly on his blog.

McGuire’s Law Russ McGuire

It may not be as cheap as prepaid options... but is the best I know of if you want to stick with the "big four".

Old 05-13-2012, 01:57 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,477,811 times
Thanks all. I'll check out that Sprint deal. My employer uses Sprint so maybe I can send back my Blackberry, get us two android smart phones and expense my share, which would be cheaper for her because she'd be an added line.

Using the TMobile prepaid for longer is probably a stupid idea. I just asked her how many texts she sends a day on the iPod and she said she's sent or received 17 in the last three hours. At 10 cents each (I'm guessing), a plan is going to be better.

I don't see pay phones anymore, either. And like I said, this is basically replacing a land line. There are times when she's home alone and she needs a phone. I can afford it and it's typical for the kids her age out here to have them. To have one or not is not the issue.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:52 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,016,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann789 View Post
Um, no offense but there aren't really a lot of public phones out there. With so many people with cell phones, the pay phones in my area have been thrown on the scrap heap.
You can always tell the people who never leave their house.

" JUST USE A PAYPHONE! "

Old 05-15-2012, 04:04 AM

1,593 posts, read 2,302,301 times
Just buy a new T-Mobile phone--one with a keyboard for texting--for prepaid service. Then move her existing T-Mobile SIM card to the new phone. Done!

This looks like a decent option:
Samsung t369 | No Annual Contract | Details, Reviews, Specs | T-Mobile

Old 05-15-2012, 10:40 AM

25,290 posts, read 27,503,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
Hi all. I'm going nuts looking at phones/plans for my 12 year old daughter. For myself, I just use a Blackberry paid for by my employer for all my phone needs. It's not a plan I can add her to.

I got rid of the landline and gave my daughter an older Blackberry of mine (a Pearl), with $100 of TMobile prepaid on it, for her to use as a phone. She has an iPod Touch (wifi gadget) that she uses for texting, music and apps a lot. She doesn't like the old Blackberry because of the weird keyboard and clunky interface (compared to the iPod), so consequently she rarely charges it or carries it. But I need her to charge and carry a phone, so I'd like to get her something that suits her better for he birthday later this month.

She would love an iPhone but I don't really think she needs a smartphone and I don't want to get into $90/month phone bills with data plans. She doesn't talk much but might text a lot. Her prepaid TMobile phone has over $50 left on it, so maybe I should just get a newer TMobile phone, with QWERTY and touch screen, and stay on prepaid. I'm a Costco member so could go through them, if it's better. I don't mind a 2-year contract but if prepaid is best for her since she uses it so lightly, I'd do that. She's smart with gadgets and doesn't really need super simple but something friendlier than the old Blackberry Pearl. I don't really want to shell out $200+ for a phone but if it's the best way and avoids high monthly bills, it's ok.

Thanks for any ideas!
Get the cheapest one possible. 12-year-olds typically lose phones, drop phones, download strange apps to phones, and the list goes on.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Get the cheapest one possible. 12-year-olds typically lose phones, drop phones, download strange apps to phones, and the list goes on.
I don't think that seems to be a concern for the OP. A lost phone, dropped phone, etc can always be replaced with a repaired or new phone. There's minimal risk to the child here other than getting upset for a day or so.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:01 PM

She's a very mature 12. She's had a laptop and iPod Touch for years and hasn't lost, dropped or ruined either.

I have a feeling her texting will be above the level that prepaid will be worthwhile soon, so I as may well get the cheap phone from going on contract.

I think I'm going to get the Samsung Brightside for Verizon from Costco. $40 for the phone, $40/month for the lowest talk/text package (which is a senior discount but the kiosk guy offered it). C-net gave the phone bad reviews (comparing it to other smart phones) but it's for a kid, so I think it'll be fine. It's the clear choice from the Costco offerings, if you want a phone that can have a data plan later but doesn't need it now. It's got the touch screen she wants and the keyboard I think she'll be glad she has later.

An hour later: I re-read this thread and I had forgotten all about that Consumer Cellular option. I decided to try that. It's a data plan for $10 less per month than the 'talk/text only' Verizon plan above, with no contract. The LG Thrive phone was more up front but it'll pay for itself the first year in savings. If it doesn't work out, we can always switch later. She doesn't need a data plan but I would kind of like her to have one, just for our use when we're out together and need to look something up. Thanks!

Last edited by ReadyFreddy; 05-15-2012 at 02:54 PM..

Old 05-16-2012, 06:23 PM

So 5 hours after ordering the LG phone, I got a text from my daughter on her friend's phone, saying how I was right and a slide-out keyboard IS a great feature! Ha. So I cancelled the Consumer Cellular order (no slide-out keyboards on any of their phones) and picked up the Samsung Brightside with the Verizon plan at Costco today. The checkout girl said her 14 year old has one and loves it. I just charged it and played with it some. It seems good.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:33 PM

1,182 posts, read 496,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Believe it or not, 12 year olds have a need to make phone calls and text.

This is absurd. You'd rather have a 12yr old walk to the ghetto (where they still have payphones these days) to make a phone call than carry a cell phone?

Keep in mind that texting and social media is the primary method of communication these days... especially for teens (which she will be a in a year or so.
12 is OK but I would not go any younger than that. A cell phone is a very powerful tool for the parent to use. If the kid doesn't do his school work or cuts up, just the threat of taking the phone away for even a day will usually cure any problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones