Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 08:33 PM

24,488 posts, read 40,985,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
That's really my point though.

To the average user none of that matters. Including storage size...

To a heavy user, I'd say the average user needs suffice.

To a power user, the storage size is not nearly as useful as the chip, etc.
But a quad core chip isn't really better than a dual core chip on Android. Android does not cater to multi-core processors. Even a power user would have to basically go out of their way to use the remaining cores. It's basically to the point where unless you're running another OS, there's no point of quad core CPUs at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Phone 1: may need to buy a 3rd party battery. 350$

Phone 2: better battery.
Battery life is one of the biggest complaints in regards to battery life and as a result people are paying quite a bit of attention to it. That's one of the reasons why the Droid Razr M is near the top in user satisfaction surveys. Very few people want to carry around a spare battery and it's unnatural to expect them to. That's as absurd as carrying around an external storage device for your phone.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:43 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,121,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Battery life is one of the biggest complaints in regards to battery life and as a result people are paying quite a bit of attention to it. That's one of the reasons why the Droid Razr M is near the top in user satisfaction surveys. Very few people want to carry around a spare battery and it's unnatural to expect them to. That's as absurd as carrying around an external storage device for your phone.
Replace the battery. I never advocates 2 batteries. I wouldn't carry a battery. Someone else stated that.

Simple. Still more exist effective...

There is no need to carry an external device. I do so merely because what I have exceeds all phone storage.

Give me a phone with a terabyte of storage and I'll change my assessment.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:46 AM

16,453 posts, read 19,469,725 times
Well, I am done debating Mr. Fanboi. He's right, we are all wrong so let's move on, okay?
Personally I won't buy an SD Card-less phone until I no longer have a choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post

That might be why microSD slots are starting to disappear on Androids too.
SD cards are disappearing because it is more profitable for HTC to charge you an extra $100 for 16GB of memory on your phone. Period. That extra 16GB costs them about $9.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:54 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,121,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Well, I am done debating Mr. Fanboi. He's right, we are all wrong so let's move on, okay?
Personally I won't buy an SD Card-less phone until I no longer have a choice.

SD cards are disappearing because it is more profitable for HTC to charge you an extra $100 for 16GB of memory on your phone. Period. That extra 16GB costs them about $9.
If you didn't want to debate them why are you here???

And the phone I prefer is not HTC so...

And the phone is way cheaper so...

Old 02-28-2013, 12:05 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,728,828 times
Quote:
But a quad core chip isn't really better than a dual core chip on Android. Android does not cater to multi-core processors. Even a power user would have to basically go out of their way to use the remaining cores. It's basically to the point where unless you're running another OS, there's no point of quad core CPUs at the moment.

Sure it does. Android is running on top of Linux, which is compiled for multiple app processors. The virtual machine instances will run on whichever core is available.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:45 PM

16,453 posts, read 19,469,725 times
Quote:
If you didn't want to debate them why are you here???
To discuss, educate, and debate. But I prefer debates with people that aren't so judgmental and take other people thoughts into consideration. Call me crazy!

There is no one size fits all for everyone. You seem to think your doing it right and every one else is doing it wrong.
Is this not the impression you are giving?
I see both sides of the coin. I prefer onboard memory. This does not make me wrong.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post

Sure it does. Android is running on top of Linux, which is compiled for multiple app processors. The virtual machine instances will run on whichever core is available.
Android loads activities in threads that can be spread across the cores. However, an activity is paused whenever it is in the background (hence the onpause method). Only the activity in the foreground is running at any given time. The only exception is services.

In order to take advantage of all the cores, the app needs to be written as a multithreaded app. Almost no apps are multithreaded.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:37 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,728,828 times
Quote:
Android loads activities in threads that can be spread across the cores. However, an activity is paused whenever it is in the background (hence the onpause method). Only the activity in the foreground is running at any given time. The only exception is services.

In order to take advantage of all the cores, the app needs to be written as a multithreaded app. Almost no apps are multithreaded.
An app may (or may not) be single threaded, but not Android itself. The OS can make full use of those extra cores.

Those apps are implemented in Java. It is not difficult to make them multithreaded. Java makes that easy.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
An app may (or may not) be single threaded, but not Android itself. The OS can make full use of those extra cores.

Those apps are implemented in Java. It is not difficult to make them multithreaded. Java makes that easy.
My point is that there's hardly any advantage of quad core over dual core because Android is designed to pause all processes that are not in the foreground. At any given time, there's the kernel, the foreground activities and services running. Neither the kernel or services are computationally expensive. Almost all applications execute a single activity at a given time. Some, such as Google Goggles, execute two activities concurrently. Very very few execute more than two activities (v8 being the most commonly used). Mobile phones OS's are designed to have the least number of processes executing at any given time.

I'm sure this will change when big.LITTLE architecture becomes more popular.

Android does not have a JVM and the Android apps are not Java applications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones