Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 12:15 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,630,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
False.
Who hits txt overages anyway?
My wife has 450 minutes and unlimited texts right now. With unlimited night and weekends and VZW to VZW she doesn't even use half her minutes.
Now we will be paying $10-$20 MORE and she only gets 1GB as opposed to unlimited.
Yea, that's a bargain.
We're in this category too. We don't need the unlimited data, but our plan with unlimited data is less than any other available plan. This new plan would cost us even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 02:00 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,627,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Those consumers will ultimately save money. Only power users could be negatively impacted by the change. And let's not forget that nobody will be forced to give up their grandfathered plans/features after June 28.
This is false. As was said before the smallest, data plan that verizon offered is more expensive than unlimited data. The average user will not save money as you have said. I do not know why you keep repeating something that is clearly not true.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:07 PM

6,391 posts, read 10,181,986 times
We can all agree to disagree and I can live with that. The new shared plans are optional for current and new customers. Nobody is being forced to change plans/features at this time. The tiered data features were implemented previously and that is not in question. I first got my unlimited data @ $30 in 2007 and kept it when I upgraded to at 4G LTE device last month.

Folks, the sky isn't falling.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:42 AM

16,448 posts, read 19,462,446 times
Didn't even see this reply.

Quote:
Peregrine,

If you aren't happy with Verizon and went to go to Sprint then don't let the door hit you on the backside.
Well it apparently bothers you that we will leave VZW.
I wasn't at all rude to you and you reply to me with this snarky comment?

Quote:
What I stated was not false, only your opinion.
Another forum I hang out on is dedicated to Cell Phones. A thread was started about this and a vast majority of the 400+ replies indicated that, indeed, their bill would go up. That is what I based that on. Not my opinion. Yes, some people did post they would save money. They were clearly the minority.

Quote:
The average user does NOT use gigabytes of data monthly like you think.
Now you know what I think? You're wrong. In the thread I mentioned I publicly disagreed with many of the posters who think "average" is 5GB. I know damn well the average is less then 1GB.

Quote:
Those consumers will ultimately save money.
You mean like my wife? Who used about 900MB last month? Who currently pays $75/month but will pay $90 a month on the new plan?

Quote:
And let's not forget that nobody will be forced to give up their grandfathered plans/features after June 28. Only new users who CHOOSE to select the new plans and current customers who upgrade their phones at a subsidized price. It is clearly stipulated that customers can upgrade their phones without a device subsidy without losing current plans/features.
Right. SO either keep your old phone or pay $600 for a new one. Great plan. Thanks VZW.

Quote:
Get over yourself, you aren't that important to Verizon and they can easily replace you with another new customer if you leave.
Get over myself? Seriously? Why you mad, bro?
Get over yourself. This is a DISCUSSION FORUM. We DISCUSS STUFF. When my opinions don't jive with your opinions, I accept that and still treat you with respect. Something you need to learn.
Was I rude to you? Re-reading what I posted... I don't think so.
You work for VZW or something??

Old 06-22-2012, 10:51 AM

6,391 posts, read 10,181,986 times
Peregrine,

Sorry if you felt offended. Just speaking my mind. We all have our own opinions are entitled to speak them here and in other forums. I regularly comment on 2 additional cellular forums (I suspect you visit at least one of them), one of which I moderate on, and I will continue to do so here. I am tired of the "entitlement" attitude of some folks, I am not implying you did here, and sometimes my comments may reflect my thoughts.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
How so? Will employees lose their discount?
The employee discount will apply to a small portion of your bill

Last edited by jdm2008; 06-22-2012 at 11:38 AM..

Old 06-22-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Peregrine,

Sorry if you felt offended. Just speaking my mind. We all have our own opinions are entitled to speak them here and in other forums. I regularly comment on 2 additional cellular forums (I suspect you visit at least one of them), one of which I moderate on, and I will continue to do so here. I am tired of the "entitlement" attitude of some folks, I am not implying you did here, and sometimes my comments may reflect my thoughts.
Coolio, brother.

DroidForums.net is the "other" site.

As I said over there, I don't appreciate VZW promising me stuff and then taking it away. You promise UNLIMITED DATA for life if I sign up by xx/xx date and then take it away from me not even a year later?
So I choose to speak with my dollars, even though they won't miss me.
I live in a major city and get good coverage by everyone. I don't NEED to be loyal to any one cell company.

Sirius and Netflix both seem to miss me since I left after the last price hikes. I get stuff from them every week "PLEASE COME BACK!".
ha.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:42 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,784,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Coolio, brother.

DroidForums.net is the "other" site.

As I said over there, I don't appreciate VZW promising me stuff and then taking it away. You promise UNLIMITED DATA for life if I sign up by xx/xx date and then take it away from me not even a year later?
So I choose to speak with my dollars, even though they won't miss me.
I live in a major city and get good coverage by everyone. I don't NEED to be loyal to any one cell company.

Sirius and Netflix both seem to miss me since I left after the last price hikes. I get stuff from them every week "PLEASE COME BACK!".
ha.

This happened to me too. I signed up last July before they did away with the unlimited data,now they're taking it away. I don't use all that much data ( for now ) but that's not the point,I want my unlimited whether I use it or not. Under the new plan I'll be paying about $5.00/month more but I will gain unlimited talk/text. I don't text much but the unlimited talk will would be nice.

The Verizon rep I spoke with the other day said they've been getting several calls concerning this and she "suspects" they might change this to let us with unlimited data keep it. My upgrade isn't until March 2013 but I'll be damned if I'm paying $600 for a cell phone. Hopefully Verizon remembers what happened to Netflix!

Old 06-22-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
This happened to me too. I signed up last July before they did away with the unlimited data,now they're taking it away. I don't use all that much data ( for now ) but that's not the point,I want my unlimited whether I use it or not. Under the new plan I'll be paying about $5.00/month more but I will gain unlimited talk/text. I don't text much but the unlimited talk will would be nice.

The Verizon rep I spoke with the other day said they've been getting several calls concerning this and she "suspects" they might change this to let us with unlimited data keep it. My upgrade isn't until March 2013 but I'll be damned if I'm paying $600 for a cell phone. Hopefully Verizon remembers what happened to Netflix!
Most people will start buying their phones from ebay. I think verizon will sell a lot less phones and alot less 2 year contracts. I think alot of people will start going to page plus. I am willing to pay verizon 20 extra a month for 4g and unlimited. I'm not willing to buy a 600 dollar phone and pay an extra 20 a month. So when the next upgrade comes around I will buy a used phone(not 2 years when my phone breaks) or go to page plus.
I think Verizon might be ok if they offered the lower tier data packages at at least a little cheaper than the unlimited is now. But 66% more for 1 gb vs unlimited is crazy. And let's call it what it is a big price increase and nothing else.

Last edited by jdm2008; 06-22-2012 at 07:05 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 08:40 AM

Yea I agree with that. People will hold on to their phones longer, too. Any time I am eligible for an upgrade, I get one. May hold on to my current phone until I need to upgrade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones