Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 06:17 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,518,915 times

Advertisements

RIM halts trading, any surprise?

http://mashable.com/2012/06/28/rim-c...ntent=FaceBook

RIM should team up with Palm Computing. How to give away the overwhelming market leadership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 06:24 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,015,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
RIM halts trading, any surprise?

http://mashable.com/2012/06/28/rim-c...ntent=FaceBook

RIM should team up with Palm Computing. How to give away the overwhelming market leadership.
I love Blackberry. However, they are stubborn and convinced that their way is the only way. When the smartphone revolution began, they should have dumped their OS and gone with Android to remain competitive in the market.

It's not too late for them, if they would just give up on the idea that they need to have a proprietary OS. They are cutting their own throat.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-28-2012, 06:28 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,518,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I love Blackberry. However, they are stubborn and convinced that their way is the only way. When the smartphone revolution began, they should have dumped their OS and gone with Android to remain competitive in the market.

It's not too late for them, if they would just give up on the idea that they need to have a proprietary OS. They are cutting their own throat.

20yrsinBranson
The very sad thing, is that they *were* the iphone before the iphone. Meaning, they controlled the entire experience (hardware, software, OS). That's the Apple model. And RIM *had* the corporate market like 99.9% of it. I watched MS and IBM and everyone else coming in and bang their heads on getting push technology to work using ActiveSync. RIM laughed in the background and MS/IBM et al slowly but steadily made it work. Now I don't ned a Blackberry Enterprise Server, I can use my cool iphone and get push and connect securely to my companies mail system.

What's even worse, is that middle mgmt in RIM saw this light years ago and pleaded with upper mgmt. Upper Mgmts response to to shuffle the chairs and and fire the trouble makers. Saw this from like 3 years ago...No surprise

Old 06-28-2012, 08:44 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,015,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
The very sad thing, is that they *were* the iphone before the iphone. Meaning, they controlled the entire experience (hardware, software, OS). That's the Apple model. And RIM *had* the corporate market like 99.9% of it. I watched MS and IBM and everyone else coming in and bang their heads on getting push technology to work using ActiveSync. RIM laughed in the background and MS/IBM et al slowly but steadily made it work. Now I don't ned a Blackberry Enterprise Server, I can use my cool iphone and get push and connect securely to my companies mail system.

What's even worse, is that middle mgmt in RIM saw this light years ago and pleaded with upper mgmt. Upper Mgmts response to to shuffle the chairs and and fire the trouble makers. Saw this from like 3 years ago...No surprise
I would say that the shareholders need to kick some upper management to the curb then, come the next shareholders' meeting. What a shame.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-28-2012, 09:22 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,299,757 times
Quote:
When the smartphone revolution began, they should have dumped their OS and gone with Android to remain competitive in the market.
I agree.
It seems they were too afraid to dump all their proprietary/patented Blackberry stuff and become another hardware competitor in the Android field. In hindsight it would have been a better move. Perhaps they could have forked a version of Android specifically targeting corporate users and perhaps ported their niche into that Android fork.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:08 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,239,845 times
RIMM are a one trick pony and it took only so long for competitors to come up with solution as good in terms of enterprise.

NOK was in the same boat 2 years ago with its proprietary Symbian OS. I see a much brighter future for them in the lonh run vs RIM.
If RIM does split in some fashion, they could stay in the game but be far less competetive and potentially die off slowly.

Its a shame, their engineering is top notch and it takes a long time to make great quality devices. In the game of convergence devices, RIM lost. More and more companies are ditchinh the bb in favor of iPhones or subsidizing personal phones for both business and personal that meet requirements.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:33 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,962,287 times
Quote:
I would say that the shareholders need to kick some upper management to the curb then, come the next shareholders' meeting. What a shame.

20yrsinBranson
Well, they should have done it three or four years ago. Now? It's too late. Their market share has plunged to about 3%. If you have a Blackberry, go ahead and seal it in a baggie so you have an artifact on your hands.

Possibly the most short-sighted company on the planet. Two years ago, I was working with an app developer on something for my clients. We discussed the iPhone and Android. Then I asked about the Blackberry. His response? The Blackberry doesn't really have an OS that works across the board for all its devices, so developing apps would be extremely cumbersome. "Don't worry. In another two or three years, there won't be any Blackberries around." And he was right.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:17 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,776,502 times
BlackBerry is done. Finished. You can look at them as a case study is terrible management and shortsightedness.

Just 3 years ago they were still riding high. And now they are a laughingstock.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:08 PM

21,665 posts, read 24,798,978 times
Need to give up selling phones and just become a software company, imo. BES on Android? Hell yes.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:18 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,996,020 times
They had an $80 Billion dollar market cap at their peak. They never made a decent iPhone or Android competitor, instead insisting on making old school BB's their focus. Even hardcore Blackberry fans don't buy their products anymore. Don't make the same mistakes Apple
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones