U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 06:51 PM

1,804 posts, read 6,280,918 times

Advertisements

This has been on my mind for a bit. I use a "basic" cell phone. A flip phone. It serves my purposes. I have access to a smart phone through my husband if I want to do "cool" things. I am reasonably technologically savvy.

The problem? I think the costs of the smart phone service plans are exorbitant. Almost the monthly cost of my first self purchased car - which was 20+ years ago - of $206.11, '89 Toyota Tercel.

I don't want to be one of those people who scoff at new things. I love the iphone, the ipad and all. But the monthly costs are so high to me!!! I just cannot bring myself to do it. Is this how people a hundred years ago felt about upgrading to electricty? It's nice but not completely necessary? Not yet atleast .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 09:30 AM

4,631 posts, read 8,882,646 times
You are talking about communication not necessarily a fair trade in comparison to electricity

Phones these days are progressing into various lines of communication rather than singular voice calls.

I consult in this industry so some of my opinions might sound contradictory to someone that has a stake in something. I started a company and sold it a couple of years ago and am modest enough to say that I am not doing anything spectacular for mankind like discovering the God particle or curing cancer. I help companies make the best gadgets they can make.
Now, for new phones like you are talking about, to every user it means something different in regards to having access to the people and things in their lives. A business user may need it for email, perhaps Office type tools when on the go or between meetings etc. A tween might want it for facebook apps and cute colors to show individuality.

For all that these phones and gadgets do do, there are the pros and cons. IMHO, they have essentially become the biggest time wasters on the planet. There is this interesting psychological factor when it comes to designing and creating these things. You quickly realize how pepople really want to identify with their device or their lives and share it. ITs really a different level of commuinication than in the past. Call it a pro or con depending on your lifestyle choices. For example, Its not difficult to just use it when in between tasks or simply being bored. There are games, internet browsing, etc that if you want to 'tune out' you can and have that comfort right in your purse or pocket book.

In other words there really is no definitive answer for each person. If you have not found a need for one yet, its likely to just be fun gadget that you might use perhaps 10% of its capabilities and pay for 100% of it with its special pricing including voice, internet and subsidies.
It really comes down to your lifestyle and the people around you. ITs far more likely you might interested if you for example have kids in college that are away, you can share pictures and updates.

I think if folks had the choice of paying the same thing for a feature phone and smartphone, they would very likely go with the smartphone 'just because' you get more (relative term) for your dollar.

In terms of my world, we are really at the tip of the iceberg in terms of all this stuff. So trust me, you are not missing out per se. If anything maybe by the time you are ready to jump in, there will be something of use for you.
I always say,a camping experience wont be any 'better' with a full decked out Swiss Army knife, if you never use it vs a single blade knife.
But psychologically the Swiss Army Knife user will 'feel' better about their experience and for that 1 in 100 chance they do need it, its validated

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 07-08-2012 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones