Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 01:10 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times

Advertisements

I have been using computers since the commodore and Macs in the 80's, having went through Windows 2.x to Vista, BeOs, Linux, FreeBsd, Sun Microsystems, SGI...

I can't think of a better personal tech configuration than the one I have below.

Intels Running MacOsX = Completely Stable, expandable and good looking Tower that can run windows too. Strong enough to run any game out there.
Display can support 2560 x 1600 resolutions, firewire and usb ports built in.
IPhone is an iPod, Phone, and Camera easily syncable from ITunes with a full web browser.

All in beautiful Aluminum Casing with simplistic yet functional design.

It's almost perfect, anyone agree?

Mac Pro:

Mac Cinenma HD Display:

IPhone/IPod:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 01:38 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Nah. iPhones are way to expensive, and IMO overrated. My friend has one and I cant think of anything I can use it for. As for Mac's. Theyre unfriendly for the average person.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Nah. iPhones are way to expensive, and IMO overrated. My friend has one and I cant think of anything I can use it for. As for Mac's. Theyre unfriendly for the average person.
Wah wah wah?!! What is more friendly than a Mac?

IPhone doesn't have it all, but it does have a lot: Mail, SMS, Safari Web Browser, Calendar, iTunes to buy songs, Music, videos and Photo software. Pricewise it is right on par with the Palm Treos, Windows Mobile and Blackberrys with comparable features.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:43 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
Quote:
As for Mac's. Theyre unfriendly for the average person.
LOL - BrianH you must be joking! Having used both extensively I cannot even begin to take that seriously.

To the OP, I think it's a great setup, but a nice laptop would be even better than a tower (I think towers and desktops are a thing of the past... nothing beats being able to take your computer to your couch, bed, out to a coffee shop, in the bathroom, on the road, etc...) - just being honest

Old 10-01-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
LOL - BrianH you must be joking! Having used both extensively I cannot even begin to take that seriously.

To the OP, I think it's a great setup, but a nice laptop would be even better than a tower (I think towers and desktops are a thing of the past... nothing beats being able to take your computer to your couch, bed, out to a coffee shop, in the bathroom, on the road, etc...) - just being honest
I agree the laptop is necessary and I use one of those also. I have the tower because its expandability and power is just as or higher than any PC.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:28 PM

3,294 posts, read 9,188,072 times
Laptops are great, but there are sometimes I need a desktop. I have both. I can get more memory in my desktop than I can my laptop. (built the desktop myself). And I have it stuffed with 3 hard drives. I do have an external for my laptop but that limits my mobility.

And my monitor on my desktop is much bigger.

To the OP, I can see the Mac and the Mac Display but personally, the iPhone is over hyped. Liz

Old 10-01-2007, 11:02 PM

You cant take me seriously ? Thats awsome.
Look at my customers who cannot find their way around XP, stick em on front of a Mac and see what happens.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:09 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
Quote:
You cant take me seriously ? Thats awsome.
Look at my customers who cannot find their way around XP, stick em on front of a Mac and see what happens.
What I was commenting on was specifically your comment that people find the MacOS less user-friendly than Windows. More than enough articles have been written on the differences and user-friendliness of MacOS vs Windows that your unjustified statement seems more bait to start an argument than to make a legitimate point.

Although the last 15 years has seen Windows come a long way to emulating the MacOS GUI created over 20 years ago, if someone is truly computer illiterate I'd find it hard to believe that they'd be more comfortable on a PC... the two mouse buttons vs one alone is enough to give a lot of new computer users fits. Going to the start menu to shutdown doesn't seem that intuitively obvious either, and when you plug in a device and need to install device drivers in order for it to be seen I'd hardly consider that user-friendliness. Lastly - I don't remember ever seeing the need for help to set up a Mac computer for anyone..while these days setting up a PC is challenging enough for new computer users that there's actually services to come to your home to do it for you.

The reality is that the new generation of computer users are just that... "already computer literate." I was young but much older than kids today when first exposed to Mac's and PCs... PC's still used DOS and Windows 3.1 was more of a new and bug-ridden toy than a serious operating system. I remember first sitting in front of a MacOS computer in school and I figured out the interface in about 5 minutes on my own. In contrast I remember years later sitting in front of DOS machine and spending no less than an hour with a knowledgeable computer-mentor while he went over all the command line functions, editing batch files, and then using the word processor program and then jumping into Windows 3.1.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:44 AM

People can write articles all day long. Ive used a Mac, it really dosent interest me. I didnt personally find it hard, but any of my avg customers would. Im not trying to start an arguement, sorry if it came off that way. Im just trying to point a something out from personal experience.

Im all for people ditching windows and trying something else. That why I use suse on occasions.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:14 AM

520 posts, read 1,853,797 times
When people are faced with something different than they are used to they often find it difficult. This happens a lot with Macs. If you're familiar with Windows, Mac OS can be confusing. I have found that when a user takes the time to learn Mac OS they often like it better than Windows. Of course, you can also find people with the opposite experience.

Personally, I wish I could run Mac OS at work (or at least Linux). It makes me a little sick inside to have to use Windows every day.

Pretty sweet setup, Mach50. I'd lose the iPhone though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones