Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:12 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,419,432 times

Advertisements

I know it has been while and have been slow to move over. Using a cell for text is misery. I ordered an HTC incredible and excited to get started with it. Any pointers on using these things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 10:38 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,304,389 times
I just got a Samsung Galazy Blaze, and I love it! But be prepared, because the battery life sucks.

Anytime that I'm using it, I have to keep it on a charger. So I have extra chargers for that purpose. When I'm at work, it's on a charger, when I'm driving, it's on a charge, and when I'm at home it's on a charger. So now people call me on my landline when they know that I'm home.

In the hour that it takes me to get to work, the battery life goes from fully charged to $70%, and I keep it on the charger when I'm there, and an 8 hour day will totally drain the battery.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:38 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,138 times
Here are some tips:

- Use Auto brightness setting for your display (if applicable) or put it to low.
- Turn off GPS, Bluetooth and Wifi when you dont need them
- Turn off Auto Sync accounts if you dont need it (unless you are running a business or REALLY love getting email in real time)

These are pretty good tips to start with for battery conservation.

The single biggest problem we face in the mobile industry is the balance between great performance and battery life. If you have a newer flagship device you will know what I mean when you whip out the battery! lol
The display is THE biggest culprit to battery drainage as it consumes the most power when on. After that it can vary from user to user, but generally would be the data connection.

Another battery killer is the microSD card. The larger the card, the more power is consumed whether you have hundreds of photos on it or not.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:38 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,419,432 times
From what I have seen with mine, the batter pops out and I can buy a spare I am sure. Also think the battery life is decent on this one.
Moved-Sounds like you might have defective unit..Take it back or buy a backup battery

Old 07-24-2012, 04:33 PM

674 posts, read 2,552,136 times
Here are two handy articles on getting started with Android:

Set Up and Get to Know Your New Android Phone
Lifehacker Pack for Android: Our List of the Best Android Apps

They might be a bit outdated but still handy.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:25 PM

I have the phone on auto-brightness.
I don't use a Bluetooth.
GPS and wi-fi are turned off when I'm not using them, and the only time I use them is when I check in with FourSquare.
I have a spare battery on order.

I've already talked to a couple of T-Mobile reps, and they said the same thing about the GPS and wif-fi.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:21 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,668,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Anytime that I'm using it, I have to keep it on a charger.
You do realize that this is not normal, right?
Are you streaming Pandora or Slacker radio all day?

Old 07-25-2012, 10:53 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I have the phone on auto-brightness.
I don't use a Bluetooth.
GPS and wi-fi are turned off when I'm not using them, and the only time I use them is when I check in with FourSquare.
I have a spare battery on order.

I've already talked to a couple of T-Mobile reps, and they said the same thing about the GPS and wif-fi.

I agree with the others, that doesnt sound right.

Have you taken a dive into 'settings' yet?

There is a setting for "Battery". Click on that and see whats eating it up. Besides Screen, what else? Android System?

Have you checked your Account and Sync? What accounts do you have running?
Click on any of the accounts you have and untick all of the services you really dont need or alternatively, turn off syncing completely for all accounts and simply do a manual refresh when you dive into that app.

You can always manual sync when you go into Gmail and refresh. It will automatically sync all other services associated with that account (so long as their checkboxes are ticked) everytime you refresh.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:26 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,329,163 times
One more suggestion to add. If the phone operates on a 4G/LTE connection it will drain the battery faster, even if in standby. You can manually disable 4G.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:49 PM

Are you streaming Pandora or Slacker radio all day?

I don't use these at all. I don't listen to music on a phone, and I don't play games. I always delete the games, but can't do it on this phone.

Last edited by moved; 07-25-2012 at 05:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones