Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 06:50 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,232,095 times

Advertisements

Why can't they make a popular mobile smartphone device like Apple?

Samsung & Apple hype up thir devices so much, beyond limit that people buy them, the former more then the latter, at least Apple has their own Operating System..

Samsung uses Andoid like everyone else such as Sony, HTC etc etc

Sony has the technology, the technical know how and the pedigree to create s killer device mobile device, yet they're missing out on so much..

-- First thing I think Sony need to do is axe the "XPERIA" brand, as it's old and crap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 07:09 AM

6,476 posts, read 10,343,886 times
Sony doesn't need to concentrate on making new iPhones, they are doing well with their consumer electronics division as it is. The research & development costs required to create a new cell phone may not be worth the expense.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:46 AM

This particulary Sony Xperia New L looks good

Old 07-30-2012, 10:40 AM

6,476 posts, read 10,343,886 times
I am not saying they can't make a good cell phone, but you asked
Quote:
Why can't they make a popular mobile smartphone device like Apple?
. That's what I was addressing.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:20 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,437,430 times
Ask Microsoft how easy getting into an insanely competitive mobile market is. At this point it would be very difficult to get people to develop apps for a sony app store, the OS would have to be extremely on-point right out of the gate, which is next to impossible to do.... they'd most likely lose money if they tried. There's no reason for yet another OS....... what could they possibly do different? iOS, Android, Blackberry, symbian, WP7/8, plus tons of less popular ones....it's all been done before.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:33 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
Keep in mind they only recently just divorces from Ericsson. There was a lot of infighting between the Sony culture and Ericsson.
Ericsson after all did invent the GSM technology we use today. They also were right up there with Nokia and Motorola back in the day.

Right now, I think they are just fine in knowing where they stand. Not every company out there NEEDS to make an iPhone competitor to sell devices. Anyone that thinks that reads too many blogs or thinks if you dont try to match Apple you will fail. They are doing just fine with their skinned version of Android. Its WAY too costly to even attempt at trying to develop a new OS.

AFAIK, Sony is not a cell phone 'company' per se. They are a consumer electronics company first. The phones they do make are quite nice and only help diversify the brand itself, not reinvent the wheel.

Its highly unlikely however that you will see them attack the US mobile market like the way Samsung has. For right now, I think they are just fine with what they are offering but in the next few years see them shift into different branding for the cellular line up as the XPERIA line was legacy from the SE days.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:47 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,669,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Ask Microsoft how easy getting into an insanely competitive mobile market is. At this point it would be very difficult to get people to develop apps for a sony app store, the OS would have to be extremely on-point right out of the gate, which is next to impossible to do.... they'd most likely lose money if they tried. There's no reason for yet another OS....... what could they possibly do different? iOS, Android, Blackberry, symbian, WP7/8, plus tons of less popular ones....it's all been done before.
If they got in they would most certainly use android.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Keep in mind they only recently just divorces from Ericsson. There was a lot of infighting between the Sony culture and Ericsson.
Ericsson after all did invent the GSM technology we use today. They also were right up there with Nokia and Motorola back in the day.

Right now, I think they are just fine in knowing where they stand. Not every company out there NEEDS to make an iPhone competitor to sell devices. Anyone that thinks that reads too many blogs or thinks if you dont try to match Apple you will fail. They are doing just fine with their skinned version of Android. Its WAY too costly to even attempt at trying to develop a new OS.

AFAIK, Sony is not a cell phone 'company' per se. They are a consumer electronics company first. The phones they do make are quite nice and only help diversify the brand itself, not reinvent the wheel.

Its highly unlikely however that you will see them attack the US mobile market like the way Samsung has. For right now, I think they are just fine with what they are offering but in the next few years see them shift into different branding for the cellular line up as the XPERIA line was legacy from the SE days.
I'm not saying that Sony should be like Apple IPhone..

I'm saying why hasn't Sony at least rivaled the IPhone like Samsung has..

How did Samsung become such a strong competitor to the iPhone?

How didn't Samsung end up with the same fate as Nokia' RIM etc etc? When the IPhone dominated?

Old 07-31-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
I'm not saying that Sony should be like Apple IPhone..

I'm saying why hasn't Sony at least rivaled the IPhone like Samsung has..

How did Samsung become such a strong competitor to the iPhone?

How didn't Samsung end up with the same fate as Nokia' RIM etc etc? When the IPhone dominated?
I am not saying they should be trying to be like iPhone either. But when 'rivals' or competitors are brought into the discussion, you are looking at popularity and sales, period.

Samsung had/has the desire to push in the US. Just look at any operator store in the US for example. For every phone a company like LG would come out with, Samsung would have at least 3 more and at different price points. That is some serious money that is pushing mobile. Its likely they say an oppt that others didnt and took the gamble.
Its business strategy and will. Now the real questions is: is Samsung really making any profit on their decisions and are they creating brand loyatly? Maybe, maybe not. I think they take some pretty big gambles, but at the same time I dont think most Samsung users are necessarily 'loyal' to the brand per se. They just happen to churn out phones that cover all prices and features.

This industry has an ebb and flow. I see Nokia being here in the next 5 years more so than RIM. But I also think Sony, once they figure out what they want to do without Ericsson in the mix, will be in a good position as well. They have some solid business units that they can align with their mobile devices like Playstation, display technology and brand.
Its just a really competitive market and the new normal is the iPhone. Although who knows how long that 'normal' will last before we adjust to new features and services that presented that you are not seeing right now.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:52 AM

Ironically to my above post, this came out today
Sony to unify its phones and tablets under the Xperia brand, 9.4" aluminum slate coming September
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones