U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 09:52 AM

4,250 posts, read 12,833,731 times

Advertisements

We recently upgraded our phone (we have Verizon) and automatically our grandfathered plan of unlimited data went away. However, in just 1/2 month the smartphone has reached 90% of our 2GB limit! In fact, in one day's time it went from 75% used (i.e. 1.5GB) to 90% used (1.8GB). We're changing our plan to increase the GBs, but my question is, what the heck is the phone doing on its own while someone is sleeping??!!??

Processes/services running are ScreenshotUX, Scribble!, SyncService, HTC Location Service, Google Services, HtcDm. Shutting these services off would make a smartphone "dumb", but could they really be chewing up all those data bytes even if someone isn't checking email or facebook or what-have-you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 11:58 AM

14,716 posts, read 16,729,659 times
If you have ICS, you can see how much data is being used by each app. NetCounter or 3G watchdog will do a similar thing. I've never used them though since I was unlimited until I switched to 4G and ICS. 300 MB isn't exactly a lot of data, streaming video would eat through that very quick. Spotify on medium quality will use 70-80 MB of data an hour, Pandora bit less than that. I like to work with music, so couple hours used driving and then if I'm out of the office doing paper work there's more. Spotify has offline mode, however, so I'm not consuming nearly that much.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:24 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,726,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
but could they really be chewing up all those data bytes even if someone isn't checking email or facebook or what-have-you?
Not really, unless they were not working properly.

I have ICS on my phone and I have to really try to hit 2gb/mo (even with tethering here and there). I'm on my phone a lot, I take the bus 3 hours a day and I use it for work. I would do what Malloric suggested and get an app to monitor traffic.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:37 AM

11,968 posts, read 14,103,615 times
3rd that.
With minimal use it is hard to use 2GB.
I use Slacker Radio every day for my 15 minute commute each way and I rarely hit 1 GB a month.
I know that's a short commute but as a point of reference...

Old 08-06-2012, 10:30 PM

7,891 posts, read 6,465,263 times
You can just switch to Sprint and you dont have to worry about data limits.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:15 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,102,267 times
Do you have wifi at home? Connecting that way would eliminate data usage that your "phone [is] doing on its own while someone is sleeping." I mention this because some people forget, or don't know how, to turn on wifi.

You could also turn off any push notifications.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:29 AM

8,564 posts, read 9,855,387 times
I turned off 'Network' a year ago. Then I installed '3G WatchDog' (Free - not Pro) to make sure I wasn't using Network. I do use WiFi anywhere possible - home, grocery, HomeDepot, WalMart. And turn off Sync... well, without Network you won't be doing any sync. And now I keep the WiFi turned off unless I have a reason to use it. Save a couple of days on battery.

Should you want to Sync, or use the Network it'd be simple to turn back on. All depends on how you want to use the phone. You'll still get messages and phone calls. Those are phone services. Everything else is data. WiFi and Network are data. WiFi doesn't count against your data limit - Network does. Use your controls to regulate that use. It would make your 'smartphone' a dumb phone only a part of the time. But would make you the master of the device.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:32 PM

7,842 posts, read 5,760,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
You can just switch to Sprint and you dont have to worry about data limits.
Do you use the LTE? If not, I don't see how it matters because Sprint has the slowest data. I've had Verizon and AT&T. I just switched to Sprint a month ago. It's unlimited but given how slow it is, I rather have a faster, 2 GB plan. I bought the EVO LTE, so hopefully they get LTE in my area soon because if not, I'm canceling.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:58 PM

1,825 posts, read 4,666,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
Do you use the LTE? If not, I don't see how it matters because Sprint has the slowest data. I've had Verizon and AT&T. I just switched to Sprint a month ago. It's unlimited but given how slow it is, I rather have a faster, 2 GB plan. I bought the EVO LTE, so hopefully they get LTE in my area soon because if not, I'm canceling.
Sprint's 3G in my area is generally the same or faster than Verizon and AT&T. I'm sure your experience is largely based on the towers and service in your city.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:36 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,657,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post

Processes/services running are ScreenshotUX, Scribble!, SyncService, HTC Location Service, Google Services, HtcDm. Shutting these services off would make a smartphone "dumb", but could they really be chewing up all those data bytes even if someone isn't checking email or facebook or what-have-you?
If this is your idea of what makes a smart phone smart....then I dunno what to tell you. This is all basic stuff that "dumb" phones do.

My guess would be the HTCDM, which is the download manager. It is used to download and update/upgrade widgets and apps that came with the phone. It is bloatware essentially and absolutely not needed. So you can dumb down your phone and see if it helps save on data usage.

SyncService could be shut off, too, since all it does is sync your Google accounts. Seeing as how you do not check email and what-have-you, shut it off. It'll prolong battery life at the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones