U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 10:18 AM

3,007 posts, read 5,239,375 times

Advertisements

So over the weekend I found my Samsung Galaxy S2 broken in the pockets of my shorts...in my bedroom, on top of my bed...

The screen was cracked on the inside and the LCD was cracked as well...the out side glass was pristine.

Mind you, this was a phone that I had dropped numerous times, without a case (like a dummy) and it was perfectly fine.

The strange part is I didn't drop it that day. The only thing I can think of is I stepped on it or must have bumped into something while moving things around.

In any case, what happens next?

Well, there are a few options but it's all very vague.

Once I found out that the phone worked, it was just the screen.

1. I can repair the screen. The LCD/Glass combo for the SGS2 is $150.00. And I'd do it myself, like I did on the iPhone I used to have. (You think I would have learned to buy a case?)

2. Since I'm not yet eligible for an upgrade (I'm only 10 months into a 2 year contract) I can buy a phone at "no-commitment" from AT&T (my provider). I really like the HTC One X but it was $449.00.

3. I could add another line for two years, buy the HTC One X for $99, switch numbers (so that I could keep my current number and possibly unlimited data.), pay the ETF which is either $325 or $235 (because I would assume I'd cancel the newer HTC data plan since I'd be switching) and that would be around $425, but greater cost in the long run.

4. I could sell the broken SGS2 on ebay; Gazelle only gives $100 for a working one. I think broken they go for about $100-$150 then use that money to buy a One X. However that's a hassle...

5. Buy a cheap phone "no-commitment" dumb phone in the meantime, but I'd admittedly be miserable.

----

In the end I chose to fix the phone. The parts should be here today, and I already disassembled the phone; all I have to do is install the screen and put everything back together.

I'm buying a case once the phone is fixed.

-----

Also I think repair, is the best "bang for the buck." Sure I would have loved the One X, but the SGS2 is just fine and considering I use the phone for EVERYTHING all of the time, it's a good return on investment.

-------

If you have a smartphone what did you do or would you have done, in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 07:41 PM

10,764 posts, read 18,133,792 times
I try to repair everything before tossing to buy new, it's almost always cheaper, and I've always loved disassembling things. Our Bissell carpet cleaner recently decided to start dumping the cleaning fluid from the tank. Rather than pay $80 for a new cleaner I invested an hour taking it apart to see if I could figure out the problem, which ended up being the valve that the trigger activates to spray the cleaning fluid, an $8 part.

As far as your phone, I would have done the repair as well.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:01 PM

1,825 posts, read 4,668,813 times
I doubt you broke the LCD, just the digitizer. Did you remove the digitizer and inspect the LCD? Have pictures of it?

If the LCD isn't broken it is a relatively easy fix and only $12 on Amazon. Get the little toolkit on there too, they run less than $4 and are useful for this task.

Replaced a few broken screens on Evo 4Gs, those only cost me $7 each time.

If you really broke the LCD I would go the EBay route and drop $135 for the LCD and digitizer replacement.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:28 AM

4,398 posts, read 9,266,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
So over the weekend I found my Samsung Galaxy S2 broken in the pockets of my shorts...in my bedroom, on top of my bed...

The screen was cracked on the inside and the LCD was cracked as well...the out side glass was pristine.

Mind you, this was a phone that I had dropped numerous times, without a case (like a dummy) and it was perfectly fine.

The strange part is I didn't drop it that day. The only thing I can think of is I stepped on it or must have bumped into something while moving things around.

In any case, what happens next?

Well, there are a few options but it's all very vague.

Once I found out that the phone worked, it was just the screen.

1. I can repair the screen. The LCD/Glass combo for the SGS2 is $150.00. And I'd do it myself, like I did on the iPhone I used to have. (You think I would have learned to buy a case?)

2. Since I'm not yet eligible for an upgrade (I'm only 10 months into a 2 year contract) I can buy a phone at "no-commitment" from AT&T (my provider). I really like the HTC One X but it was $449.00.

3. I could add another line for two years, buy the HTC One X for $99, switch numbers (so that I could keep my current number and possibly unlimited data.), pay the ETF which is either $325 or $235 (because I would assume I'd cancel the newer HTC data plan since I'd be switching) and that would be around $425, but greater cost in the long run.

4. I could sell the broken SGS2 on ebay; Gazelle only gives $100 for a working one. I think broken they go for about $100-$150 then use that money to buy a One X. However that's a hassle...

5. Buy a cheap phone "no-commitment" dumb phone in the meantime, but I'd admittedly be miserable.

----

In the end I chose to fix the phone. The parts should be here today, and I already disassembled the phone; all I have to do is install the screen and put everything back together.

I'm buying a case once the phone is fixed.

-----

Also I think repair, is the best "bang for the buck." Sure I would have loved the One X, but the SGS2 is just fine and considering I use the phone for EVERYTHING all of the time, it's a good return on investment.

-------

If you have a smartphone what did you do or would you have done, in this situation?
I would have bought a used phone off of ebay.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:39 PM

3,007 posts, read 5,239,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
I doubt you broke the LCD, just the digitizer. Did you remove the digitizer and inspect the LCD? Have pictures of it?

If the LCD isn't broken it is a relatively easy fix and only $12 on Amazon. Get the little toolkit on there too, they run less than $4 and are useful for this task.

Replaced a few broken screens on Evo 4Gs, those only cost me $7 each time.

If you really broke the LCD I would go the EBay route and drop $135 for the LCD and digitizer replacement.
Yeah the phone was cracked from the inside and both the back of the glass and the LCD was cracked as well. The Samsung Galaxy S2 combines both the glass/digitizer and LCD and they make it hard to just replace one or the other.

I ended up fixing both and really it wasn't that difficult, just more than I wanted to pay. It took 15 minutes. I left the phone outside in 100deg heat to soften up the glue behind the glass and popped it right out.

When I broke the glass on my old 3G iPhone it was only $15 to repair; because the LCD was untouched. That took longer because there were shards of glass and glue I had to remove.

In the end it probably was the best thing to do, I'm just upset that it was over $100 to repair in parts compared to an iPhone.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:33 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,573,430 times
Do you have insurance on the phone

Old 07-15-2013, 06:48 AM

10,764 posts, read 18,133,792 times
This post was started almost a year ago, it's not likely the OP is still in need of any help.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:34 AM

890 posts, read 1,579,605 times
I bought a refurbished one off of Amazon which didn't change by contract obligation. I considered fixing it, but there were other issues with it like a bad charging port and iffy headphone jack.

It was my wife's phone so I needed to replace it relatively quick and couldn't chance making repairs and not being able to fix it. That said, I might just try to fix it myself because I like doing that sort of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones