Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 03:53 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
You must not have been using Google Maps when it first launched.

Apple's map system is about the same.
I remember how bad google maps were. In my rural area it was the butt of jokes. Sending old ladies in their brand new caddies down rough dirt roads (shortest route ), telling me to turn left where no road existed. That sort of stuff. We'd tell out of town friends not to depend on their Navagation system. Use AAA paper maps.

With that said, I don't feel like going thru that again. I'll wait until google maps is offered as an app before "upgrading" to iOS6.

I am sure the bugs will be worked out, but until then....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 04:14 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I remember how bad google maps were. In my rural area it was the butt of jokes. Sending old ladies in their brand new caddies down rough dirt roads (shortest route ), telling me to turn left where no road existed. That sort of stuff. We'd tell out of town friends not to depend on their Navagation system. Use AAA paper maps.

With that said, I don't feel like going thru that again. I'll wait until google maps is offered as an app before "upgrading" to iOS6.

I am sure the bugs will be worked out, but until then....
There are a few good mapping apps already in the App Store you might wanna try.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:18 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
There are a few good mapping apps already in the App Store you might wanna try.
True, but I already have Google maps and feel no need to switch to iOS6. But thanks anyway.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
True, but I already have Google maps and feel no need to switch to iOS6. But thanks anyway.
Oh. Not saying you should switch. Just saying that if you decide to, there might be good alternatives.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:48 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
MapQuest for ios gets NO love on this message board. You should try it. WIfe has it and it is as good or better then Google. Really. And it's free.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:41 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,135,479 times
A suggestion: use safari and access the google maps website (for mobiles) on your iphone.

(Bookmark the site or put the icon on your home screen for one click access)

Old 09-24-2012, 03:56 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Better, use chrome to access google maps. It runs smoother than on Safari.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:20 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,135,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
A suggestion: use safari and access the google maps website (for mobiles) on your iphone.

(Bookmark the site or put the icon on your home screen for one click access)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Better, use chrome to access google maps. It runs smoother than on Safari.
Better, Best(NJ).

Sure - Safari, Chrome, Mercury, whatever -

point is, all the folks bemoaning that now that IOS6 has apple's own mapping, and they're missing google maps, seem to be oblivious to the reality that they can access google maps by way of a browser on the iphone.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:48 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Seriously Apple should just compromise and put Google maps back on ios. Dont get me wrong removing Google maps off of ios is gonna hurt Google more than it hurts Apple. If you go to Urban areas such as NYC or San Francisco or London you come across alot of people of who love Urbaninity, and having an iphone and using google maps together is a plus for many users. Google makes money buy offering adds and other advertisements to ios users through Google Maps, apple removing the Google Maps is a to strangle Google. I feel sorry for those that live in urban areas and use iphones but depend on Google services for information. ios users are highly educated but not tech savvy as andriod and windows users, many ios users used to be Blackberry users and probably depend on an app for maps instead of a web based alternative to using google maps, these type of people desire simplicity and not complications. I wonder if many will jump off ios and head over to android phone?

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 09-24-2012 at 08:12 PM..

Old 09-24-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Seriously Apple should just compromise and put Google maps back on ios. Dont get me wrong removing Google maps off of ios is gonna hurt Google more than it hurts Apple. If you go to Urban areas such as NYC or San Francisco or London you come across alot of people of who love Urbaninity, and having an iphone and using google maps together is a plus for many users. Google makes money buy offering adds and other advertisements to ios users through Google Maps, apple removing the Google Maps is a to strangle Google. I feel sorry for those that live in urban areas and use iphones but depend on Google services for information. ios users are highly educated but not tech savvy as andriod and windows users, many ios users used to be Blackberry users and probably depend on an app for maps instead of a web based alternative to using google maps, these type of people desire simplicity and not complications. I wonder if many will jump off ios and head over to android phone?
I don't think the maps situation will be the main factor if people switch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones