Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2012, 01:28 PM

3,525 posts, read 6,521,504 times

Advertisements

My HTC Inspire totally froze last night, when I visited a site for a radio show. I accidentally tapped on a link that downloaded a large PDF file. No buttons would respond, and holding the power button did nothing. I removed the battery for a second and reinserted it, and I was okay.

This phone has only frozen once in the 6 months I've had it. Does a phone freeze for the same reason a Windows computer would freeze? That is, an error in a page or program; or malware; or other memory problems. One thing I can add is that large PDFs often crash computer browsers.

General question about freezing phones and computers: I thought the device's OS is supposed to manage the apps and the device's memory. But why is it possible for a program to "leak" into areas of the OS that cause it to freeze or crash? Why does an error kill the power button?

You'd think there'd be a better way of totally restarting, besides taking out the battery. I've heard of computer freezes so bad you have to unplug the computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 02:33 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Yes, cell phones screens freezing up is a lot like when your MS Windows computer freezes up. Pulling the battery is equivalent to typing <CTRL> <ALT> <DEL> on the computer.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:49 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Yes, cell phones screens freezing up is a lot like when your MS Windows computer freezes up. Pulling the battery is equivalent to typing <CTRL> <ALT> <DEL> on the computer.
Actually the PC equivalent would be pulling the power cord.

I had a few lockups on my Inspire, likely due to all the bloat that comes with it, after rooting and installing a decent ROM it's been rock solid, sometimes don't reboot it for weeks. The wifes new Vivid was having major lockups/ crashes. I rooted it and installed an app to remove all the bloat and it too has been solid since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones