Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 08:56 PM

15,418 posts, read 25,784,989 times

Advertisements

Is there a cheap Android phone that can be bought that will work without a Data plan? Just want it for texting. I know we can get any old phone for that. I'm just curious about getting an Android phone and doing it. This is to finish the year on our T-mobile contract, and to replace the current broken Blackberry we use without a data plan now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 07:54 AM

16,535 posts, read 19,658,496 times
No. Any carrier is going to make you get a data plan if you activate any Smartphone on its network.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
No. Any carrier is going to make you get a data plan if you activate any Smartphone on its network.
T-Mobile does not do that on our Blackberrys, why would they do it on an Android Phone?

Old 10-29-2012, 09:22 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
T-Mobile does not do that on our Blackberrys, why would they do it on an Android Phone?
Are they really old?

T-Mobile requires a data plan for new smartphones, including blackberries.

You can sometimes get by if you have a really old phone or buy an unlocked phone that your carrier doesn't recognize as a smartphone, but anything modern is going to require a data plan.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:18 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,251,390 times
Quote:
Is there a cheap Android phone that can be bought that will work without a Data plan? Just want it for texting. I know we can get any old phone for that. I'm just curious about getting an Android phone and doing it. This is to finish the year on our T-mobile contract, and to replace the current broken Blackberry we use without a data plan now.
Yes you can. My wife has a Samsung dual sim Android on TMobile and just shut off the data, but she can use the internet on wifi with it whenever around an open wifi or at home.

Check out Target HERE

CompUSA HERE and clearance phones HERE which include a blackberry if you prefer.

NewEGG HERE

and of course there are other places you can buy an android but just remember to shut the data before putting in the sim and make sure it is off once you turn it back on because some phones reset if you keep the battery out more than a few seconds.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Yes you can. My wife has a Samsung dual sim Android on TMobile and just shut off the data, but she can use the internet on wifi with it whenever around an open wifi or at home.

Check out Target HERE

CompUSA HERE and clearance phones HERE which include a blackberry if you prefer.

NewEGG HERE

and of course there are other places you can buy an android but just remember to shut the data before putting in the sim and make sure it is off once you turn it back on because some phones reset if you keep the battery out more than a few seconds.
You mean shut the data off on the phone itself?

Old 10-29-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
You mean shut the data off on the phone itself?
Yes it is in the settings. Each phone is different so it may say internet or data.

Last edited by Mr. Lee; 10-29-2012 at 04:58 PM..

Old 10-29-2012, 05:03 PM

In one of my Samsung phones it in network then connections then off for internet. You will still be able to access the internet via wifi if you have that shut off, you will just not be able to access it via your service provider.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:12 PM

290 posts, read 920,978 times
Not sure what you consider cheap but the Nexus 4 will be $299. Already unlocked and is not sold by a carrier so you're free to do what you want with it

Old 11-01-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiCoupe View Post
Not sure what you consider cheap but the Nexus 4 will be $299. Already unlocked and is not sold by a carrier so you're free to do what you want with it
That's reasonably priced, but not "cheap". I did just look it up and apparently T-Mobile won't let it use WiFi calling. That's a big negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones