Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 10:24 AM

30,705 posts, read 79,461,953 times

Advertisements

I am trying to choose a reaplcement cell phone. I am considering the following:
Nokia Lumia 922, Samsung Galaxy III, Samsung Note II (or whatever the newest one is), the new Samsung Windows 8 phone for verizon (to be released in a few days).

I have pretty well eliminated the Iphone 5 and the Razr HD Maxx becasue they do not have interchangable batteries and the Iphone does nto have decent navigation, among other reasons, and eliminated the Motorola Droid 4 because I have had endless problems with Droids going berserk, but I have not completely rejected them. I am open to considering any model and nay brand (but our IT guy said to avoid motorola - I do not always listen to the IT guy though). I have Verizon but I might change back to AT & T if there was a compelling reason to do so. Verizon works for me becuase they have a booth in the building with my office, they have execellent 4g lte coverage and they do not drop calls all the time like AT& T used to (not sure if they still do). My family has AT&T. It seems like AT & T gets better phones.

Cost is a minor concern becuase my work pays for the phone (up to $200) and 65% of the monthly charges.

My list of requriements for a phone is lengthy:

Phone requirements:

[SIZE=3]Phone, text, e-mail, and internet access.
[SIZE=3]Removable battery
[SIZE=3]Navigation
[SIZE=3] Voice turn by turn – talks over telephone calls and other uses
[SIZE=3] At least as good as Google Maps.
[SIZE=3] No monthly charge
[SIZE=3]No charge for updating maps.
[SIZE=3]Accurate maps
[SIZE=3]Can open and view PDF, MS Word, excel and JPEG documents.
[SIZE=3]Execellent ++ VR.
[SIZE=3]Very Easy to use calendar system compatible with work calendar. I do not want five clicks to make a calendar entry like with my droid II with touchdown. (I can never eremember the things I need to click on)
[SIZE=3]No international tower charges.
[SIZE=3]Micro USB connections.
[SIZE=3]Works as hot spot or tethered without disrupting calls/text or E-mail use.
[SIZE=3]Excellent speakerphone – clear and loud. Full duplexing is preferable.
[SIZE=3]No software insanity like repeatedly changing to Spanish for texting or to kilometers for nav, or randomly sending E-mails and making calls while sitting on my desk or simply refusing to acknowledge taps on the screen or the buttons, refusing to turn off, turning itself on and making noise in the middle of a court hearing. Etcetera.
[SIZE=3]4g LTE
[SIZE=3]Single touch connecting for maps and phone numbers (e.g. so I can tap an address or a phone number in an E-mail or calendar note and it will either put the address in navigation, or call the number)
[SIZE=3]Connectivity with work computer system for E-mail, calendar, contacts.
[SIZE=3]Decent battery life.
[SIZE=3]Reasonably easy to use.

Preferred options:
[SIZE=3]Complete “make no sound whatsoever” button.
[SIZE=3]Quality apps. Mostly for fun like Find my car, Geocaching or the price comparison app)
[SIZE=3]Can edit MS Word or adobe documents.
[SIZE=3]Bluetooth.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Nice quality Camera.
[SIZE=3]Connect into work server similar to remote desktop connection on a computer.
[SIZE=3]One touch access to Facebook, Linked IN and other preferred internet locations.
[SIZE=3]Stable software.
[SIZE=3]Tough – hard to damage if dropped or if it gets damp.
[SIZE=3]Upgradable memory.
[SIZE=3]Real keyboard (not touch screen)
[SIZE=3]One button to disable touch screen.
[SIZE=3]Screen visible in daylight.
[SIZE=3]Execellent battery life.
[SIZE=3]Upgraded battery available.
[SIZE=3]GPS locater (to find the phone when I misplace it)
[SIZE=3]Super accurate GPS. My Droid II is accurate to about 300 feet, sometimes to about 100 feet.

Do not care about:
[SIZE=3]What it looks like
[SIZE=3]What it costs.
[SIZE=3]Video recording capability.
[SIZE=3]Brand recognition.
[SIZE=3]Warranty (I will probably buy insurance)
[SIZE=3]Music player.
[SIZE=3]Games.

Any suggestions?

Sorry dont know what is up with all those "[Size 3]" notations. They just appeared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 10:47 AM

6,408 posts, read 10,222,010 times
You might use a "phone finder" tool found in some cell phone internet sites like phonescoop.com. It allows you to check which features you absolutely need and narrows down a list of qualified devices. There are other internet sites, this was only a first suggestion to get you started.

Once you narrow down a list, come back and post new inquiries about specific models. Good luck.

FWIW: I suggest you strongly consider an Android OS phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones