Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 12:25 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Blackberry is history.
Odd timing for that statement, I must say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 12:30 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
I am so disappointed in the I Phone I can't imagine why anyone likes them. I have to assume they never used a Blackberry.
-----------------------------

a number of reasons I prefer the iPhone over Blackberry (and yes I've had both).

Anytime I would use twitter on the BB, and exit my messages/e-mail even if there was only 1 unread message, most of the time my phone would freeze and I'd need to do a reset.
The track ball was an incredible PITA. Mine got stuck literally once every 2 or 3 months. Luckily I knew the guys at my verizon store (mainly because I was in so often fixing the track ball) that it was no cost to repair/fix it but per year I must've spent at least 5 hours in a verizon store with that thing. In my 10.5 months of the iPhone (got in February 2012), I've only been to a verizon store once.....and that's when my e-mail became un-synced from my phone and went to them to sync it back up.
Music. The ability to play music on your phone. Never there with the blackberry. Now I can save my i-Pod for long trips and not have to worry about constantly charging it.
The apps. better selection, better quality, about 120,000+ more ti choose from. As mentioned with twitter above the only "apps" I had were Twitter and that brick breaker game that came onto the phone. The moment I got blackberry is the day I signed up for Twitter and all but de-activated my facebook (I still have it, but only check it when I get a friend request), so pretty much the twitter app replaced the facebook app. Actually I forgot I did have both nevermind. That brickbreaker game is cool. I still keep my Blackberry around as an extra alarm clock, and good to play that brickbreaker game once in a while, but man when thats the only app or game you have it gets boring fairly quickly especially if your track ball gets stuck. I have about 60+ apps on my phone, doesn't run any slower then when I first got it, so there's more variety then I had on the BB. Like I could play temple run (my favorite iPhone app) a lot longer then I could brickbreaker.
If only the iPhone battery had as good a baterry as the BB did, it'd be perfect. I could go 2 or 3 days without charging that thing, I need to charge this like twice a day.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:52 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Speaking as a former BB fan:

OK Twice as good.
That's more reasonable.

Quote:

Because the BB's have a 2 inch screen thanks to a keyboard that takes up half the device.
It was better built. That's all.

Quote:
Better how? Everyone with a BB says BB does email best but no one can really tell me how...
(I know the answer, BB is better with Outlook Integration).
Not that. I didn't use Outlook. I'm talking about the push email. On my iPhone email does not always come instantly. It behaves more like it's checking the server every few minutes. On the BBs that I had, it always came instantly. That's not that big of a deal, but the BB definitely did it better, IMO.

Quote:
Or you could get DropBox for iOS and you don't need a cable at all. Take a picture, shoot some video. Turn on your computer. *bam* There they are.
Yeah, but that's a relatively recent thing. iOS also has Photostream and iCloud. Now it beats the old BB, finally.

Quote:
Well sure... when all your phone is good for is email, it's going to last a long time. WHen you have something like a REAL Smartphone, you use it a whole lot more.
I used the hell out of my BB! I used it much more than I use the iPhone. To be fair, the iPad 2 I have is partly why I use the phone less. There's no question that the BB's battery life was far better. It was a real smartphone. It's just out of date now. We'll see if BB10 gets them back toeing up-to-date or not.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:00 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
2 things.
The iPhone is built pretty well. But the entire front piece is glass. Just the physics of it is going to make it much easier to break. I agree, I have never seen a shattered BB. and I used to support 100's of them. I have personally broken 3 Android phones. But it's not really build quality as it is a completely different design.

As for "push email", I support iPhones at work and every one of them gets email instantly. Do you have yours set to PUSH? Because you can configure it that way. The Default setting of the iPhone is to check email every 15 minutes. This is to conserve battery life. But you can set it to PUSH which is in real time.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:40 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
As for "push email", I support iPhones at work and every one of them gets email instantly. Do you have yours set to PUSH? Because you can configure it that way. The Default setting of the iPhone is to check email every 15 minutes. This is to conserve battery life. But you can set it to PUSH which is in real time.
Yes, it is set to push. There is a noticeable delay in receiving it though. I don't think there's anything wrong with my phone, and I'm just fine with the slight delay. I was just mentioning what I thought was something the Bb did a bit better.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:37 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
OP- what sort of issues are you having with the phone? Are you using a POP email account?

Old 01-25-2013, 08:57 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
I went through three blackberries in two years. They are not a durable phone. The trackball was the biggest gripe along with the tiny keyboard. I have an iPhone 5 which so far I really like, it is easy to use. The more I use it the more I like it.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:35 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
There are as many opinions as there are people using cell phones today, there is no definitive answer to which phone is the better one or "best". I say, "to each his own" and use what you are comfortable/satisfied. I have an iPhone on my shared plan which is used by my mother and she absolutely loves it. I personally prefer Android and have never desired to use a BB device.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones