U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 12:46 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,706,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
My gut feeling is that this is just a racket and a major profit center for them. Is this true?
It's not a racket. Different providers use different cellular technologies and operate on different frequencies. There's some overlap, but you may find yourself with an unlocked phone that either doesn't work at all on the provider you want to use, or only works in some limited way (there was a time when you could unlock your AT&T iPhone and take it to T-Mobile, but you'd be limited to 2G speeds - not sure if that's still true). Sprint might be willing to unlock it for you, but that won't help if you're going to AT&T since the phone still won't work (unless you happen to have some sort of "world phone", in which case it might work).

You should make sure that your phone has the appropriate hardware to work on the other network before you start wasting your time (and potentially a little cash) trying to get it unlocked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 02:10 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,564,110 times
because thats what i did and i got screwed into paying full retail price after the phone was in a contract for a year. the termination price should have droped down but it went up. and also i was told that id'e be locked into a 10 month contract wich i had no problems with. i figured that it would be easy to get out of if i wanted to terminate the line let's just say i got an eye opener. it's to the point where i'm taking my carrier to court.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:04 PM

3,449 posts, read 6,329,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
it's to the point where i'm taking my carrier to court.
That would be an exercise in futility. Don't make me laugh.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:37 AM

I hope you don't fall off your chair but thats where it's gotten to trying to get out of there contract. try being down in atlanta and there telling they have great service there and your phone says no signal try being up in seattle and having the phone saying the same thing. my bill was pd before time on every month so my phone was not shut off. I was not told that when i did a transfer of finacianal responsibility with them *******s that the contract price would go back up to full retail as if the $10.00 a month was not even knocked off nor did they tell me if i swapped out sim cards changing the numbers to the phones the contract follows the number. so like i told them i got an iphone last month so i can upgrade my iphone in 4 more months and i have to keep my crackberry for 2 more freaking years. sales reps fault for not informing me if he would have i never would have done it nor would i have done the transfer of finacinal responsibility eathier. at&t reps and customer service aint nothing but a bunch of yahoos

Old 01-17-2013, 01:25 PM

3,449 posts, read 6,329,909 times
krelithous,

I understand your frustration, but the cell phone companies have never and will never guarantee coverage under any circumstance. My point is that you cannot take them to court, because the terms and service clearly state that all disputes must be done through arbitration and was upheld in 2011 or 2012 at the supreme court. You need to pick and chose you battles more carefully.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:24 AM

nope they never will guarantee coverage cause it's on where the towers are placed. it's being worked out though thank god but i will never go back to AT&T again. but it's sad how a company would rather dump off a good paying customer than trying to keem em. now if it was me id'e do everything that i could to deal with the situation and keep the customer and keep the revinue comming in and kep the costomer happy

Old 02-08-2013, 06:21 AM

5 posts, read 25,012 times
You should get a SIM only deal. Use a comparison site to find one like Comparisim but not comparisim because they are UK only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones