U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 06:19 PM

434 posts, read 552,088 times

Advertisements

My one and only cell phone was through my ex's plan. I thought I had several months before the contract ended. Just found out we can switch me off his plan NOW!

I have a smart phone but am not tech savvy enough to fully utilize it. The phone will be 2 years old in April but has been very reliable. I do use texting - receive much more than I send due to it being a few friends primary means of communicating. I probably use the phone about 600 hrs./month since it is my primary phone. (I do have a landline as a backup since my mother has health issues and I don't want disaster related power outages to limit emergency communications.)

The cell is through Sprint. My landline and internet is with AT&T - the only landline provider in my area.
Since the switch is happening prior to the end of the contract can I switch to another carrier without incurring penalties? I'm assuming I could get a better deal with At&T bundling packages.

Any advise for a techno impaired person is appreciated!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 08:48 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,968,627 times
First thing is to call AT&T and see if they can offer you a bundled deal.

Second call Sprint and ask them what the termination fee is for ending the contract. Also ask them whether you can split your phone off of your ex's account and just finish out the contract until April. You don't want to sign a new contract with them if you plan on switching to another provider.

This way you know more information that can help you make the decision. You don't have to make the decision right away but those are two steps you should take to gather information.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:56 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,564,110 times
never do a transfer of finacial responsibility for that line as you'll get screwed. your much better off getting your own line fresh.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:00 PM

3,449 posts, read 6,329,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
never do a transfer of finacial responsibility for that line as you'll get screwed. your much better off getting your own line fresh.
Please tell us why you think that. How would anyone get "screwed" ?? What if the OP wants to keep the original mobile # ?? You didn't offer any reasons why it would be bad for her.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:51 PM

11,143 posts, read 16,383,089 times
Base line - you do not want a contract. It's iffing prison.
Truth is - you will not get real good service without one, and Verizon beats everyone else on service. And I have been through all the big boys.
You may want to look into Straight Talk from Walmart, as it's monthly payment thing, fully unlimited, and they go through any provider you want to.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:39 PM

A lot of good food for thought!

I'm a bit confused about the phone itself. I see other companies offering phones by the same manufacturer of mine (LG) yet the reps say I have to buy a phone through them if I change companies. One rep finally said if I could get my current phone "unlocked" I could use it but it would be much slower since it wasn't configured for that specific service provider.

My gut feeling is that this is just a racket and a major profit center for them. Is this true? If not, how does one get their phone "unlocked"?

I like my phone and have had no issues with it. I'm not a bells & whistles sort and have no problem lagging a bit behind in technology.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:07 PM

11,143 posts, read 16,383,089 times
It's racket.
You can go on craigslist and punch in "unlock phone" or jailbreak. You'll find bunch of folks that do it for you.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:41 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,968,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_link View Post
A lot of good food for thought!

I'm a bit confused about the phone itself. I see other companies offering phones by the same manufacturer of mine (LG) yet the reps say I have to buy a phone through them if I change companies. One rep finally said if I could get my current phone "unlocked" I could use it but it would be much slower since it wasn't configured for that specific service provider.

My gut feeling is that this is just a racket and a major profit center for them. Is this true? If not, how does one get their phone "unlocked"?

I like my phone and have had no issues with it. I'm not a bells & whistles sort and have no problem lagging a bit behind in technology.
If you're happy, stick with Sprint, keep your phone.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:20 PM

We were able to get my line switched to a new account for me. It kept the original contract ending date. So I have a little more time to decide on options.

Now to further confuse the issue is this news -
Walmart To Offer iPhone 5 Off Contract, Unlimited Service For $45 Monthly - Forbes

Old 01-11-2013, 03:22 PM

3,449 posts, read 6,329,909 times
You would have to buy a new phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones