U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 08:18 AM

6,487 posts, read 6,301,715 times

Advertisements

My vote is for the S3, but it is all personal preference. Go check them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 08:34 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,079,298 times
I'm in the same boat, and leaning towards the S3 primarily because i just wanted to try something different, as i've owned Iphone 3g, 3gs for the past couple years. I'm most interested in the Android OS, and the customization. I've heard concerns on the screen brightness and "fluidness" of the user experience. I only have MP3's, use 2-3 applications regularly, and sync only contacts through cloud (google) so im not tied to Apple.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:36 AM

6,487 posts, read 6,301,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
I'm in the same boat, and leaning towards the S3 primarily because i just wanted to try something different, as i've owned Iphone 3g, 3gs for the past couple years. I'm most interested in the Android OS, and the customization. I've heard concerns on the screen brightness and "fluidness" of the user experience. I only have MP3's, use 2-3 applications regularly, and sync only contacts through cloud (google) so im not tied to Apple.
I got my mother to buy the S3. Her being a novice Android user and coming from nearly a decade of Blackberry use was no problem. As far as I can tell, the screen is fine -- too bright might sink battery life, though.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:04 AM

5,850 posts, read 11,184,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
(hubby says Apple products are for dummies! Before anyone goes insane, he has been in the IT field for more years than some of you have been born and he just doesn't like Apple so that is his personal opinion)i
Generally IT guys hate Apple. It takes work away from them.

That being said, you have to go with what is comfortable for you.

I am also on Sprint and have recently upgraded. I choose the iPhone 4s because Sprint does not have a fully functional LTE network and the 4s was $100 cheaper than the 5. I am also a Mac user and have my music on iTunes, That also made my choice easier.

My Girlfriend and I also seriously considered the Galaxy.
In the end, I didn't care for the big screen and cheap plastic feel.
My Girlfriend went for the HTC Droid Incredible from Verizon which has a very solid feel and a slightly larger screen than the iPhone4S.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:35 PM

3,160 posts, read 8,215,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Generally IT guys hate Apple. It takes work away from them.
Yes, because if something "doesn't work" on an Apple product, it's not a bug, it's a feature!

Signed,

Someone who attempted to transfer synced photos from one person's iPod to another person's computer via USB.

Seriously, something that would have taken two seconds with any Android device is literally impossible with an iPod/iPhone without third-party software. I've never been an Apple-hater (I own an early gen iPod), and there is certainly something to be said for the simplicity of their devices, but that experience definitely soured me on ever buying an Apple device or recommending them to people. It's emblematic of the whole "Apple tells you what you can and can't do" reputation that the iDevices have.

Getting back to the subject at hand, you can probably guess I'm going to recommend a GS3. I have one, and I don't see any problems with build quality with it. The interface is very slick and it's just a very fast phone overall. The display is excellent.

The cons:

Battery life isn't great if you take full advantage of the features (e.g. Google Now). This can be remedied by turning off mobile data if you don't think you're going to use it for a while, and/or disabling features you don't use.

If you have small hands, the phone might be too big to hold and operate it with the same hand.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:45 PM

13,325 posts, read 20,371,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Yes, because if something "doesn't work" on an Apple product, it's not a bug, it's a feature!

Signed,

Someone who attempted to transfer synced photos from one person's iPod to another person's computer via USB.

Seriously, something that would have taken two seconds with any Android device is literally impossible with an iPod/iPhone without third-party software. I've never been an Apple-hater (I own an early gen iPod), and there is certainly something to be said for the simplicity of their devices, but that experience definitely soured me on ever buying an Apple device or recommending them to people. It's emblematic of the whole "Apple tells you what you can and can't do" reputation that the iDevices have.
That's funny because I had the same experience with a friends S2, which would not transfer photos and videos over to their PC without downloading a special app for it. I could do it in seconds on my iphone 4. That experience, along with other past experiences, convinced me to maintain my decision to never buy a Samsung phone, and hopefully any other Samsung product. (Maintain because I had decided that earlier when they refused to honor a warrant on a defective phone).

Old 01-20-2013, 01:04 AM

3,036 posts, read 3,377,148 times
I don't get why people like samsung, to me they just look like cheap iphone knockoffs.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:06 AM

27,149 posts, read 64,366,302 times
Wait until y'all try the new Android os. It is awesome. Apple in trouble unless they have something exciting about to come out

Old 01-20-2013, 11:26 AM

782 posts, read 3,509,672 times
I don't get why people knock plastic cases on samsung product. Iphone users buy plastic cases to protect their phone. Sure iphone is heavier. Remember before iphone all phone was plastic. Flip phones was very small and light and had a plastic shell. To say a case make a phone better is silly. Who intends on dropping their phone anyway. A phone should be judge on capabilities not the shell.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:43 AM

3 posts, read 8,363 times
You can prefer iPhone. I would suggest that is the best choice with best operating system inbuilt in it. Htc won;t be such preferred by me. I would suggest iPhone should be the probable choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones