U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 10:05 AM

119 posts, read 294,058 times

Advertisements

My HTC cell phone contract is up, and I am looking to upgrade / switch to a different phone. My service provider (Sprint) is suggesting that I go with Samsung. Does Sprint have an advantage in promoting GS3 versus iPhone to clients, and, therefore, their recommendation is self-serving? I checked CNET and they advise iPhone over Samsung. Can anyone of you provide some perspective on these phones from a user point of view?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 10:09 AM

1,611 posts, read 2,463,078 times
You really should go the the local stores and handle both of the phones yourself. Truth be told they are a virtually tie when it comes to capabilitities, features and snazzy factor. I like to think of them as a Toyota Camry and a Honda Accord. Either one will get the job done better than most, but which one do you personally like to drive?

Old 01-09-2013, 10:13 AM

34,313 posts, read 59,633,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wango Wango View Post
My HTC cell phone contract is up, and I am looking to upgrade / switch to a different phone. My service provider (Sprint) is suggesting that I go with Samsung. Does Sprint have an advantage in promoting GS3 versus iPhone to clients, and, therefore, their recommendation is self-serving? I checked CNET and they advise iPhone over Samsung. Can anyone of you provide some perspective on these phones from a user point of view?
What will you use it for?

The differences between the two devices are greatly subjective to the user, IMO.
Pick the one you like better.
I have the Galaxy S3, and think it is a fine device. I would probably say the same about the iPhone.

A lot of the guys at Sprint are geeky and fool with Android, root their phones, etc. So they might hate iPhones.
Consumer Reports sees little difference between top rated smartphones.
I think we tend to overthink it.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:18 AM

12,090 posts, read 28,662,739 times
My contract is coming up soon and I've been looking at phones, as well. Yes, I do this every 1.5 years!

I have a Droid Smartphone. Most of the agents at my office have IPhones.

From what I can tell (as I've played with their phones), the apps are pretty much the same. The IPhone seems to be easier to operate

(hubby says Apple products are for dummies! Before anyone goes insane, he has been in the IT field for more years than some of you have been born and he just doesn't like Apple so that is his personal opinion)!!!

So...I'm in agreement with Taynxtlvl...it is all about which one you like to hold and which screen you prefer!

Vicki

Old 01-09-2013, 11:24 AM

24,178 posts, read 34,114,425 times
The tie breaker here for me personally would be storage space. The Galaxy has a MicroSD slot to expand memory, the Iphone doesn't. Basically you can buy a Galaxy and add on storage as you go as with the Iphone you are pretty much stuck with what you got.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:44 AM

321 posts, read 428,887 times
after having the Iphone 4, i can definitely tell you that the S3 is better. its a really nice phone. i really love it! i havent thought of anything significant that the Iphone does that the S3 cant do.

also, get it from Best buy, its cheaper than your provider, well it was for me...

Old 01-09-2013, 02:23 PM

476 posts, read 407,284 times
The S3 isn't for everyone. It has a wider screen, and can be uncomfortable to hold in your hand for calls. It is also super thin and feels kinda cheap and easy to break.

The biggest annoyance I have with the phone is that the phone display isn't very bright. I have to set the brightness level up to max just for it to appear normal which drains my battery super fast.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:55 PM

321 posts, read 428,887 times
i complained about how the S3 was too, when i was trying to decide, but i got it less than a week ago, and i've alrdy forgetten about it, i dont even notice it anymore. i dont know if sprint is the same, but when i went to Best buy they told me i had 30 days if i wanted to changed my mind. but i've alrdy decidied to stick with the S3. good luck!

Old 01-10-2013, 03:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,488 times
I would also vote for the Samsung Galaxy S3. I have one and it is a great phone. I am also developing an own app for Andorid devices with an SDK called Ozeki VoIP SDK. If it is ready I will upload it. By the way I am a big fan of Samsung products so my choice was evident.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:35 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,377,148 times
If you're used to htc the samsung is going to feel really poorly built and cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones