U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 08:30 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,572,775 times

Advertisements

I agree with this ruling. Buying a subsidized phone is like leasing a car; it's yours, but your privileges with it are limited as you are bound by contractual agreements. And that is how it should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 10:28 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,007,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I agree with this ruling. Buying a subsidized phone is like leasing a car; it's yours, but your privileges with it are limited as you are bound by contractual agreements. And that is how it should be.
Actually no it's not. When your lease expires you return the car and stop paying, when your subsidized phone contract expires the cost of your monthly plan should go down, as the money has been recouped for the cheaper phone price, but it doesn't, so if the providers aren't going to play fair, I see no reason why we should be constrained by even for restrictions.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:44 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,634,440 times
As long as you agree to pay your monthly charges according to the terms of your contract -- then I don't understand why even subsidized phones should be locked. Even if someone unlocked their phone with the intention of going to a cheaper domestic carrier, they would *still* get hit with an ETF that makes up for the subsidized portion of the phone that carrier is losing.

The international plans that AT&T offers are insanely expensive with low limits on data, texts and voice minutes. From what I understand, your home carrier doesn't get much of a cut of those plans as they are then forwarded to the carrier you were roaming on. Verizon doesn't lock their phones and it hasn't affected their customer base one bit. Not sure why AT&T needs to lock their phones.

I'm more a "spirit of the law" person -- so I guess I'm not going to convince the "letter of the law" types who will follow any rule that an authority figure enforces no matter how little sense it makes--but hopefully carriers like AT&T will change their policies. I see the era of subsidized phones ending soon anyway.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:00 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,677,950 times
Those of who are a little older remember the times before the break up of Ma Bell. During that time we had no choice to buy a landline phone outside of our line service. Once the break up occurred we were allowed to buy our own landline phones. On top of that we were allowed to add phone jacks for more lines without being charged for them. Within a few years, in the early 80's, cell phones came on the market and sold at an "affordable" rate of $1500 each. Once you owned the phone, you were able to choose any cell phone service provider you wanted and then spent the next 10 minutes to manually program it. By the late 80's they called it an instant rebate to get people to sign up and purchase cell phones for $400-$1000. By the early 90's we had the free phones with a multi-year contract but were still manually programmed. And here we are now where again our phones are tied to the service provider and we can't buy a phone seperate from the sevice provider. Full circle. I wonder by this time next year if the phone prices will rise as the subsidies will most like drop and the new fees they will come up with.

If you want some insight of whats coming, just ask anyone who's paid for cable for the last 20 years on how we had the descrambler outside of the house and we could run multiple TVs to now each TV has its own descrambler that they charge for, get charged for each line/outlet (no matter who installed it) and get charged for the signal to that TV. Just wait, soon they will say the internet connection is subsidised and force people to rent modems from them. Give them enough time, they will start counting the wireless connections and start charging for the amount of signals they pick up and add a plan/fee for that.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:21 AM

13,325 posts, read 20,371,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
.... who is also the owner of the copy of the computer program in such wireless telephone handset....
Sounds like a loophole to me since all of my software says that I only have a license to use it, and that I don't own the software.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:27 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,418,296 times
And I think this will just push people toward companies like T-Mobile, who's taking the route of not subsidizing the cost of the phones, but offering the smartphone services at much, much cheaper and more manageable/reasonable monthly charges. Which to me, is the main reason why people unlock phones anyway...they want their choice of companies and plans. One thing that companies like ATT&T and Verizon have to realize is that eventually the consumers are going to push for more flexibility, cheaper rates, and choice. These big companies can only gauge the consumer for so long until the consumer finds alternative ways to get the same service.

I will say, I love the coverage area of Verizon, but they are way too expensive. My wife wanted an iPhone for Christmas, and the only way we could do the family share plan was for me to upgrade to a smartphone. I was actually just fine making due with just a regular cell phone that was great for text, but I upgraded so that she could get her phone. AND, she doesn't want to go with any other company besides Verizon. Me, on the other hand, I'm hoping in another two years, these other companies, such as T-Mobile, will catch up and offer so much, that she'll be crazy to stay with Verizon and will jump ship with me.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:31 AM

39,906 posts, read 57,726,659 times
Here is a prediction for this year:
10 things you'll pay more for in 2013 - T-Mobile smartphone (8) - CNNMoney
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:36 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,051,563 times
The DMCA is so adorable when it attempts to regulate things that it was never meant to cover in the first place. Stopping piracy, duplication, yeah that all worked out real well. I have a rooted and unlocked HTC Rezound running a custom Jelly Bean ROM (an Android version it wasn't meant to have) and I'll be doing the same thing to my next Android phone.

Sorry, but the modding community at XDA is here to stay and it's not going anywhere.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:55 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,007,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
The DMCA is so adorable when it attempts to regulate things that it was never meant to cover in the first place. Stopping piracy, duplication, yeah that all worked out real well. I have a rooted and unlocked HTC Rezound running a custom Jelly Bean ROM (an Android version it wasn't meant to have) and I'll be doing the same thing to my next Android phone.

Sorry, but the modding community at XDA is here to stay and it's not going anywhere.
I think you missed the definition of unlocking on the first page

Old 01-30-2013, 08:24 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,124,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Just wait, soon they will say the internet connection is subsidised and force people to rent modems from them.
Time Warner Cable is already doing that .

I found this restriction to unlock phones plain greed. I used to unlock my phone to use a local SIM card when traveling to another country instead of paying the ridiculous fees of AT&T's international plans. And later, I would sell the phone. The thing is, next time I'll probably get an unlocked phone from Google or some other company instead of AT&T, and I'll get the cheapest plan I can find. I'm so tired of greedy companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones