Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 03:02 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,926 times

Advertisements

Finally done being a fool and waiting for Sprint's 4G LTE network to be built out. I remember when they were buildng out 4G and it wasn't this bad and this long. Found out that in Charlotte they won't have LTE fully completed until July 2013 after being told it was supposed to be end of last year, latest possible 1/13 or 2/13.

I don't even want to hear the "it will be the fastest LTE when it's all done"...such garbage. I wish I knew this way before renewing my contract and buying a cool samsung phone that can't get 4G LTE because of the carrier.

I'm paying the early term fee and switching to Verizon...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 03:12 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Im paying $80 a month with Sprint and unlimited data. My girlfriend is paying over $110 for Verizon (with LTE) and limited Data.

Since Sprint doesn't have LTE Yet, i opted to get the iphone 4S for $100 when I upgraded.

I do a lot of travelling and I have found that Sprint has the best coverage for my needs.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:34 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,129 times
I have a feeling that as soon as Sprint gets LTE in enough cities then they will end their unlimited data as well. Or, they will enforce soft caps. I believe they recently got a lot of cash from Softbank so maybe their deployment will speed up.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:13 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Im paying $80 a month with Sprint and unlimited data. My girlfriend is paying over $110 for Verizon (with LTE) and limited Data.

Since Sprint doesn't have LTE Yet, i opted to get the iphone 4S for $100 when I upgraded.

I do a lot of travelling and I have found that Sprint has the best coverage for my needs.
Yeah, they are the cheapest plan i could get with corporate discounts mixed in. They offered pretty good coverage throughout my travels in 2012.

I'm still waiting for LTE in Northern VA. I have a Blackberry and will very soon be upgrading to a Galaxy III, so it is not like i'm gonna notice the difference anyway.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:22 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Sprint never promised to be "Completed with any market in 2012" they've only announced the roll-out of LTE in markets that does not equal completion.

Understand that Sprint is doing more than just "adding LTE" to tower, they are Overhauling their entire network with a project called Network Vision, every single Sprint tower is being completely replaced. This is does not happen over night, there just isn't the amount of resources available to make this happen (man power) regardless of how much cash Sprint/Softbank throws at it.

I was looking at going to Verizon to atleast "Wait" for Sprint to finish its Network Vision here in NYC, but OMG Verizon is just way too expensive. Even with having the so-called "best Network" their prices are just insane. Therefore I will just have to tough out this pain for right now.

Another thing to consider is Sprint will soon be releasing Tri-Band LTE phones that work on 800/1900/2.5 spectrum, which are suppose to start being released in 3Q of this year. Which might be waiting on, they'll be superior to the current LTE phones which only operate on Sprint's 1900.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:28 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Sprint never promised to be "Completed with any market in 2012" they've only announced the roll-out of LTE in markets that does not equal completion.

Understand that Sprint is doing more than just "adding LTE" to tower, they are Overhauling their entire network with a project called Network Vision, every single Sprint tower is being completely replaced. This is does not happen over night, there just isn't the amount of resources available to make this happen (man power) regardless of how much cash Sprint/Softbank throws at it.

I was looking at going to Verizon to atleast "Wait" for Sprint to finish its Network Vision here in NYC, but OMG Verizon is just way too expensive. Even with having the so-called "best Network" their prices are just insane. Therefore I will just have to tough out this pain for right now.

Another thing to consider is Sprint will soon be releasing Tri-Band LTE phones that work on 800/1900/2.5 spectrum, which are suppose to start being released in 3Q of this year. Which might be waiting on, they'll be superior to the current LTE phones which only operate on Sprint's 1900.
I picked up a Verizon 4G LTE Xoom tablet cheap, and have a month to month data plan.
Sometimes it is much quicker to receive email than my Sprint Galaxy S3, and sometimes simultaneously.
Web surfing is much better, of course, but the S3 does OK when I am near a tower.

Nothing I see really makes me want to dump Sprint and pay Verizon a lot more money for phone service, particularly when my wife has a smartphone with unlimited data too. Sprint EVO 4G, and her 4G works quite well.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:34 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Sure does seem like a waste to buy a 4GLTE phone and not be able to use the 4GLTE doesn't it?

I've been with Verizon ever since I purchased my first cell phone. I bought my 4GLTE phone in May of last year, the area of the country I was in was mostly rural, with few large cities nearby. Naturally, 4GLTE was new and only existed in the major cities and a few prominent college towns. By the end of the year 4GLTE coverage covered over 80% of Mississippi...even my little town, and I was happy as could be.

Still vexes me that people in large metro areas, like Charlotte, don't have 4G LTE access with other providers. Hell, AT&T is just finally rolling out 4G LTE service to a lot of metro areas. They always brag about having more 4G service than Verizon, but their 4G is nothing but a renamed 3G service with a slight "upgrade" to it. The difference between 3G and 4G LTE is huge, and well worth the switch.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Still vexes me that people in large metro areas, like Charlotte, don't have 4G LTE access with other providers. Hell, AT&T is just finally rolling out 4G LTE service to a lot of metro areas. They always brag about having more 4G service than Verizon, but their 4G is nothing but a renamed 3G service with a slight "upgrade" to it. The difference between 3G and 4G LTE is huge, and well worth the switch.
Again keep in mind what Sprint's doing and what ATT, Verizon are doing is 2 separate things.

Verizon and ATT are just adding LTE panels to there existing infrastructure, which allow them to cover a market much faster. Not to mention Verizon and ATT aren't adding LTE to every site, they don't need to with 700 mhz spectrum, it travels much futher.

Sprint is Overhauling replacing its entire network Tower by Tower (every single tower is being overhauled). It's more than just adding LTE to infrastructure.

Here's a brief video of what Sprint's doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=YmtyQZqWJjk

Old 01-28-2013, 04:09 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post

I've heard the "wait and see, it's going to be so awesome" a lot. And yes, *reps* and *customer service* said end of year. Of course that was said while you're looking at the S3 or some other 4G LTE phone and about to renew your contract. That's the crux of the problem. So of course they can't tell you *not* to buy the product because that would stall sales, however at the expense of customer satisfaction. I'm assuming they are planning to gain a lot of net-new customers when it's all said and done to offset whatever defections they have during the build out period.

You know, to get the best, which at the moment for me is Verizon, I will pay for it. If you don't care about actual throughput and the speed you get now is good (as my parents don't care about that stuff, then stick with sprint). It's just that the overall coverage and quality of calls in certain markets (like Miami) aren't good. I did a test, Verizon iphone 4s and Sprint iphone 4s in the same spot - like no bars on sprint and full bars on Verizon. Point is I have less aggravation as someone who needs high speed data throughput in the most possible places I go to (Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, New York, etc.)

Old 01-28-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I've heard the "wait and see, it's going to be so awesome" a lot. And yes, *reps* and *customer service* said end of year. Of course that was said while you're looking at the S3 or some other 4G LTE phone and about to renew your contract. That's the crux of the problem. So of course they can't tell you *not* to buy the product because that would stall sales, however at the expense of customer satisfaction. I'm assuming they are planning to gain a lot of net-new customers when it's all said and done to offset whatever defections they have during the build out period.

You know, to get the best, which at the moment for me is Verizon, I will pay for it. If you don't care about actual throughput and the speed you get now is good (as my parents don't care about that stuff, then stick with sprint). It's just that the overall coverage and quality of calls in certain markets (like Miami) aren't good. I did a test, Verizon iphone 4s and Sprint iphone 4s in the same spot - like no bars on sprint and full bars on Verizon. Point is I have less aggravation as someone who needs high speed data throughput in the most possible places I go to (Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, New York, etc.)
Again Sprint never released an official statement or documentation stating they'd have any market completed in 2012..Doesnt matter what the CSR stated they were wrong... Sprints first completed markets is expected to happen until near summer of '13.

Have fun with Verizon.... there prices just arent worth it yo me.... YMMV.... Pay substantially more and get substantially less... No thanks I can wait it out...My only problem with Sprint is slow data and i know it will get better you can see the progress @ Community Blog List - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates... so they are working on it. Again its just not fast enough for some thats understandable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones