U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 04:04 PM

8,193 posts, read 22,566,690 times

Advertisements

I'll post more later, but if Blackberry is so "dead", then how did their official Fb page get 25 million likes (for comparison; Apple, Inc. has slightly more than 8.6 million, the Android page (official?) with the most likes has just over 900K likes, and the Samsung Galaxy SIII has just over 1 million)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 12:58 AM

4,399 posts, read 9,210,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I'll post more later, but if Blackberry is so "dead", then how did their official Fb page get 25 million likes (for comparison; Apple, Inc. has slightly more than 8.6 million, the Android page (official?) with the most likes has just over 900K likes, and the Samsung Galaxy SIII has just over 1 million)?
You think this actually means something? Really?

Old 02-07-2013, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
You think this actually means something? Really?
What? You don't?

Old 02-07-2013, 09:16 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times
I don't either. That proves nothing.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:39 PM

It's not meant to prove anything other than there are some people out there that still like Blackberry and that the phone and company are far from dead, which everyone from CNET to Forbes kept repeating, article after article up to a few days after the release of BB10. Even the comments section was full of the doom and gloom. Not sure if it constitutes as a meme, but it shows that these people simply do not know what they are talking about. For every one person who honestly likes Blackberry, there are 100 who repeat the same "Blackberry is dead" message.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The point, which you apparently completely missed, is that those 70,000 apps exist because it's easy to port to Android to BB10 (calling it porting is really a bit much - it's really just packaging it up). By Blackberry's own admission, 40% of the apps are just wrapped Android apps that are going to look out of place and be unable to take advantage of anything BB10 has to offer. Even with that, there are still big names like Netflix and Instagram that are MIA.

They needed to stock their store with apps, even if it's mostly garbage and largely repackaged Android apps. If they didn't, people would declare the platform DOA. If developers continue to opt for wrapping up Android apps instead of actually developing for BB10, they'll have trouble convincing people to use BB over Android, because in that scenario buying a BB device makes about as much sense as buying a computer running Linux and then spending all your time using Windows in VirtualBox.
Well, Blackberry 10 has been declared DOA ever since the project was first announced all the way up to a few days after the official launch.

Android apps are only popular because most are free and many can be had from sources outside of Google Play. And that says nothing about quality. Blackberry 10 has an Android player that will allow Android apps that have been modified to work on BB10. Currently, the only Android apps that will work, as far as I know, are those that were developed for Gingerbread. A Runtime for Jellybean is expected, but I found no info on when. So yeah, they will probably look out of place. At first, anyways.

If you take the numbers, 40% of 70K is 28,000, the number of Android apps on BB10. So that is still 58K native apps for BB10. When I was still on Blackberry, which was not that long ago, there were only 35K apps or so. Both numbers are still small, really small, compared to iOS and Android in general, but considering that not all Android apps work on all Android phones, and that some Android phones are still shipping with Gingerbread, how many apps are actually available to individual Android phones?

How many Windows 8 apps are available, 20K? Yet, this number does not seem to be a point of contention, which is ridiculous considering that according to many critics Blackberry's lack of apps is a main talking point for why "Blackberry sucks".

In a Pew Research study, something like 68% of Americans use 5 apps or less at least once per week, 17% do not use any app on a regular basis. It is not the number of apps that matters, it is the quality.

I agree that the number of apps will make a difference for some, but in the long run, I do not think it is going to matter much. Keep in mind that Blackberry's target markets are "targeted consumer segments", not everyone.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:23 PM

It's still an EPIC FAIL that I can't get a Q10 until MAYBE March. New rumours circulating are saying May or even JUNE?!?!?!
Ridiculous...

Old 02-08-2013, 11:31 AM

4,631 posts, read 9,003,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
It's still an EPIC FAIL that I can't get a Q10 until MAYBE March. New rumours circulating are saying May or even JUNE?!?!?!
Ridiculous...
So will you or your boss make a stance on principle against buying it now? lol

I somehow doubt it once it is available

Old 02-08-2013, 12:58 PM

Boss is VERY loyal and will try to hold out...

Old 02-08-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Ridiculous...
Yes, this is ridiculous. Blackberry is citing availability of parts for the delay. That is roughly only two months away, around the time my contract ends. I have been wanting this phone for over six months now but I can wait as my next phone is going to be another Blackberry anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones