U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:33 AM

11,852 posts, read 13,978,818 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/31/te...line.html?_r=0

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.
Could you drop the ball AGAIN. Please?
It amazes me... astounds me.... that this company can continue to do EVERYTHING wrong.

The new phones and OS are already delayed by nearly a YEAR. So they finally have a date to announce. They try to build the excitement. They get ready to make the big announcement. My boss is frothing at the lips (the only employee at work that still has a BB has been fiercely loyal and desperately holding out for a new device...)... and it looks good. OS looks nice. and... and....

NOT AVAILABLE UNTIL AT LEAST MARCH. HOPEFULLY MARCH. No specific date. Just MARCH. My boss would have ordered one right now...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 12:12 PM

3,741 posts, read 3,969,506 times
BlackBerry wants to launch their new Z10 and Q10 on as many networks as possible.

The handsets will be available in Canada and the UK before the end of February.

It may just be the US carriers are slow to get around to doing the network testing of the phones.

Either way, I think BB10 OS looks pretty good and is a heck of a lot better than their older systems.

One thing Apple and Google (with their Nexus devices) to right is to give full pricing, date you can begin pre-ordering and also the ship dates to all new products.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:52 PM

Q10 not available in the US, the one my boss wants, until MAYBE April....
Way to blow it RIM... err Blackberry.

I just can't believe they aren't ready to roll. As you said, Google and Android have dates within a week of the announcement.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:12 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,009,100 times
Typically when devices are held back from being released in the US vs rest of world, its because of US carrier certification testing/requirements, which by global standards are the most vigorous/torturous out there, especially for VZW or AT&T.

This includes network/field testing, software testing and lab testing.

I am really curious how this new version of BB will stack up moving forward. One thing is for sure, they make GREAT phones in terms of quality and design. I am certain that their new OS will be SOLID and there many loyal users. Sounds good so far!

Their stock valuation is curious given the news.

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 01-30-2013 at 02:45 PM..

Old 01-30-2013, 06:02 PM

8,193 posts, read 22,580,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
BlackBerry wants to launch their new Z10 and Q10 on as many networks as possible.

The handsets will be available in Canada and the UK before the end of February.

It may just be the US carriers are slow to get around to doing the network testing of the phones.

Either way, I think BB10 OS looks pretty good and is a heck of a lot better than their older systems.

One thing Apple and Google (with their Nexus devices) to right is to give full pricing, date you can begin pre-ordering and also the ship dates to all new products.
I can't wait to get one...for those who read my posts should know, I am a long time crackberry addict and cannot wait to get off Android and have been following Blackberry 10 news on an almost daily basis since the summer.

Not sure about Google, but Apple keeps everything quiet until they are ready to release. Both the Q10 and Z10 will be available in the U.K. beginning tomorrow, and last I heard, it is up 'til March/April in the U.S.

As for pricing, the Q10 is going to sell between £42 and £50 in the UK. That is roughly $84 to $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Q10 not available in the US, the one my boss wants, until MAYBE April....
Way to blow it RIM... err Blackberry.

I just can't believe they aren't ready to roll. As you said, Google and Android have dates within a week of the announcement.
Well, RIM, now Blackberry, is a Canadian company; so why would they launch in the U.S. first? Their market share in the U.S. is low, perhaps their lowest in the World. Heines has stated numerous times that their immediate goal, their first goal, is to maintain current users, and since their user base is largely outside of the U.S., and since many in the rest of the World are not ga-ga for the iPhone like Americans are, it makes absolute sense to launch in other countries first.

But I do agree, they should have be ready to go now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Typically when devices are held back from being released in the US vs rest of world, its because of US carrier certification testing/requirements, which by global standards are the most vigorous/torturous out there, especially for VZW or AT&T.

This includes network/field testing, software testing and lab testing.

I am really curious how this new version of BB will stack up moving forward. One thing is for sure, they make GREAT phones in terms of quality and design. I am certain that their new OS will be SOLID and there many loyal users. Sounds good so far!

Their stock valuation is curious given the news.
Ummm, they gave dev models to U.S. carriers months ago, and the major four U.S. carriers have been on board for awhile now (except for Sprint, who just recently came on board) with carrier testing ending sometime in November, if I remember correctly.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

Ummm, they gave dev models to U.S. carriers months ago, and the major four U.S. carriers have been on board for awhile now (except for Sprint, who just recently came on board) with carrier testing ending sometime in November, if I remember correctly.
There are many phases of certification testing, but you probably know that already.

I doubt highly they were done PASSING in November unless you have a source to link?

If what you are saying is true, in the sense that they have completely passed cert testing, then there must be a supply chain issue if they cant get it off the ground. Qualcomm has been behind for some time, but really not 2-3 months behind.

I havent worked with ANY company yet, that has passed cert testing months before actual launch unless the carrier dictates its launch date. But if that were the case, then that means either RIM missed their US deadline to launch or are getting thrown into a marketing mix from the carriers. But I doubt the latter considering there really are no other hero devices that are going to be going up against these phones.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:31 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,580,655 times
Quote:
There are many phases of certification testing, but you probably know that already.

I doubt highly they were done PASSING in November unless you have a source to link?

If what you are saying is true, in the sense that they have completely passed cert testing, then there must be a supply chain issue if they cant get it off the ground. Qualcomm has been behind for some time, but really not 2-3 months behind.

I havent worked with ANY company yet, that has passed cert testing months before actual launch unless the carrier dictates its launch date. But if that were the case, then that means either RIM missed their US deadline to launch or are getting thrown into a marketing mix from the carriers. But I doubt the latter considering there really are no other hero devices that are going to be going up against these phones.
I just looked it up, they didn't go into cellular certification until the end of October, so yes, they were still testing through November

Not sure what is up with the delays, but BB10 launch has been delayed 3 times. This last delay, of a March release, was announced back in October.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:00 AM

2,790 posts, read 3,438,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I just looked it up, they didn't go into cellular certification until the end of October, so yes, they were still testing through November

Not sure what is up with the delays, but BB10 launch has been delayed 3 times. This last delay, of a March release, was announced back in October.
I think just about anyone could probably answer the question as to what is up with the delays......they are probably working on bugs and every time they fix one, it causes four new ones. I am just basing this off of my knowledge of their previous devices. I never personally owned a blackberry but my wife and some friends had them for a couple of years until Androids picked up steam. I couldn't stand to use one for more than a couple of minutes every time I tried......poorly designed, stange UI and directory structure and full of bugs. One of my friends returned 4 blackberry storm touch screen phones before finally having a come apart at the verizon store and they agreed to give him a HTC Android as a replacement for number 5.

I honestly believe the ship has sailed for blackberry. They may hang around in the background maybe with corporate and enterprise contracts but as far as the public goes, they will be lucky to even hang on to a few percentage points of the market. I see them going the way of Nextel direct connect devices, they were everywhere for a few years and then you rarely see one anymore. What good is blackberry messenger if you have nobody to message?

Old 01-31-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I have a hard time believing it is the carriers.
I am sure it is supply. They simply don't have enough to sell in the US.
If it IS the carriers then YOU WAIT to roll out til you have product to sell.
I understand it is a Canadian company. Then why didn't you announce in Toronto?

Old 01-31-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I have a hard time believing it is the carriers.
I am sure it is supply. They simply don't have enough to sell in the US.
If it IS the carriers then YOU WAIT to roll out til you have product to sell.
I understand it is a Canadian company. Then why didn't you announce in Toronto?
I just had a chat with a friend of mine that works in the CDMA/LTE(basically Verizon) R&D division here in San Diego for BB (yes, next to Qualcomm) and basically its a combination all of the above that I had mentioned. While there is a raw materials shortage for the chipsets its not the sole reason for delay. There are many other parts at play here besides that as mentioned.

When I say 'typically' it is exactly what I mean in the general context. For the companies that I consult for here in San Diego and throughout the US, timelines are VERY tight and more times than not, a device will pass all carrier cert testing after months of various levels of testing ranging from field test to interoperability to software. After the final blessing within a week, get flashed to the 'approved' SW and be on the shelves the following week. Its insane.

In the world of logistics, there are 3rd party distributors that basically are proxy to the retailers/operators. It is their orders from the retailers that dictate how many units sold. They basically take care of the logistics and 'numbers' that are published in IDC or Gartner. So while we may see some huge numbers for sales of say an SGSIII, we will never now how many have either been pushed by the manufacturer or retailer to take on. We will also never know how many units are actually sitting in a warehouse from not estimating properly.

edit: I dont understand what you mean about Toronto? Are you talking about the global launch delays?

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 01-31-2013 at 02:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones