U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 02:49 PM

6,816 posts, read 12,022,930 times

Advertisements

I've downloaded the Touchpal keyboard to try on my android phone and it has a feature known as "swiping".. it seems to be an efficient way to input regular words, but inputting names (of people and cities) doesn't seem to work very well (it just predicts the closest word I might be trying to type based on the letters I've tried to "swipe".) Given that the keyboard supposedly learns from your typing, does this improve later on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 04:50 PM

1,617 posts, read 4,774,199 times
Yes, it improves, but you need to "teach" it the words it doesn't know before it'll "swype" them for you.

Type the word in the standard fashion, then touch the word you just typed from the list of guesses before you touch the space bar (or it will auto-correct to the nearest guess). When you touch the correct word, that word is learned automatically, so you should be able to swipe it next time.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:51 AM

882 posts, read 1,803,212 times
Names/titles/locations - all why I switched to Swype; type in an unrecognized word or phrase and an "add this?" button pops up.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:10 PM

3,269 posts, read 4,895,125 times
ragna, there's another one called SlideIT and another one called SwiftKey Flow. I'm sure there are others.

SlideIT gets rave reviews (almost 5 stars out of thousands of reviewers) and rightfully so. It's great at remembering email addresses. I love the "paste" button which I never could find on Swype, if it exists. Also on SlideIT, for example if you swipe "circ" and hold down the last letter for an extra half-second, then release your finger, you get choices like "circumstance", "circus", "circle", etc all in a horizontal row which keeps going going going til it reaches the end then it stops. by then you should've seen the word you want, at which point you just hit it.

SwiftKey Flow is good at remembering phone numbers.

Swype - well - I'm not a big fan but I did have an early liking for it because it was my first ever glide keyboard.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:17 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
SWIPER, NO SWIPING!!!!

Sorry... someone had to.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:52 PM

882 posts, read 1,803,212 times
And Slide was my 1st. Swype captures my address book, so it nails names/addresses, the "paste" function, however, is standard Android (hold on word, move sliders if needed, then hit the cut'n'paste menu). They're all really good - I don't understand anyone laboring over a touch keypad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or