U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 01:12 AM

5,702 posts, read 16,478,540 times

Advertisements

This thread made me chuckle. I love apple products but they have flaws just like anything else. I think the iPhone is by far most user friendly smartphone, however from a tech support point of view, apple needs to educate their customers a bit more on certain things.

I work for a company that provides tech support on products across the board. I usually end up with most apple calls. The biggest call driver is about apple ids and syncing to itunes. This is where I find a general lack of knowledge. People dont understand what the apple id is. They gloss over the security questions when setting up the account, dont verify their email or close that email and never update their account. Then they forget their password and all hell breaks loose.

People need to understand that creating an apple id is like creating a bank account. Would you put money in the bank and then never let the bank know that you changed addresses? Or lose your bank account number and have no clue about anything regarding your money? Nope. I get so many calls where people need help with their accounts and when I ask them what their apple id is, they dont know it.

Me: It's your email address.
Customer: Ohhh...well....ummm...I have had like 8 emails in the past 5 yrs. *chuckle chuckle*

Greattt. Well you cant retrieve your password if you no longer have the email. What about security questions? Do you remember them? I always love this. They will scream that they NEVER set up security questions. Really? Its a requirement to set up the account. So they have to talk to Apple and more than likely they cant verify who they are and end up with an account that is useless along with everything they bought they no longer have access to. They rant about how stupid the process is, ya well most people link their credit card to their apple id. So you do want just anyone getting access to your apple id? Or, they have like 5 apple ids. Those are always fun.

Syncing with itunes is another one. There is a tutorial but no one ever watches it. I wish they would because its a simple software program to use. The biggest mistake I find is that people erase their phones. There is a pop up message that warns you first. No one reads it, they just click okay. The phone syncs and poof the phone is clean. Then the crying begins. "I had my newborn's pictures on that phone!!!!" Really. So you have pictures on the phone that mean so much to you but it never occurred to you that this portable device made of glass, might break some day or not turn on? It never occurred to you that maybe backing up those ever so important pictures would be a good idea? Trust me, as much as I love apple products there are some pretty dumb people out there that think Apple is god.

Basically what people need to understand is that smartphones are really an extension of your computer. If something goes wrong with the phone, you will need a computer to fix it. Whether its your own or you go to the phone carrier and have them try and fix it. iCloud was never meant to hold a ton of stuff. Its supposed to be a back up in case something goes wrong. I mean seriously, what company is going to let you store thousands of pictures on their servers for free? If you dont want to back your phone up on the computer once a month then buy the extra storage from apple. You can get 50 GB for a 100 bucks a year.

So...my gripe is that apple needs to let people know when setting up the phone for the first time that apple ids are very important and to watch the tutorial on how to use itunes. I think that would stop a lot of the confusion and frustration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 08:33 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,964,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
This thread made me chuckle.
I am glad you took it in the spirit it was intended.

And I can relate to the "multiple Apple ID" thing. Had top help an employee with that a few weeks ago. Wound up having to call Apple. He had 2 ID's.
For some reason, though, I have never had this issue with anyone and "Google ID's". Hmmm.

Quote:
I mean seriously, what company is going to let you store thousands of pictures on their servers for free? If you dont want to back your phone up on the computer once a month then buy the extra storage from apple.
https://www.dropbox.com/
I currently have 12GB of free storage with them and I am still eligible to get 6 GB more.
Every video and picture on my phone is automatically backed up to there. And all my Apps are backed up to Google servers with no limit on how many. It just works.
http://www.box.com
I have 50GB there I barely even use. Every so often they have a promotion giving people 50. Currently you can only get 5.
https://www.asuswebstorage.com/
And I get another 8GB free from Asus since I bought an Asus tablet.
Just to name 3 that are free, free and free.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:59 PM

5,702 posts, read 16,478,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I am glad you took it in the spirit it was intended.

And I can relate to the "multiple Apple ID" thing. Had top help an employee with that a few weeks ago. Wound up having to call Apple. He had 2 ID's.
For some reason, though, I have never had this issue with anyone and "Google ID's". Hmmm.

https://www.dropbox.com/
I currently have 12GB of free storage with them and I am still eligible to get 6 GB more.
Every video and picture on my phone is automatically backed up to there. And all my Apps are backed up to Google servers with no limit on how many. It just works.
http://www.box.com
I have 50GB there I barely even use. Every so often they have a promotion giving people 50. Currently you can only get 5.
https://www.asuswebstorage.com/
And I get another 8GB free from Asus since I bought an Asus tablet.
Just to name 3 that are free, free and free.
Oh ya, I got the spirit of the thread. I enjoyed my own rant. he he he. I do really like Apple products but people are kind of insane about their loyalty. Or when their apple product breaks they totally lose their minds thinking it should never ever ever ever break.

Thanks for the tips on the free storage. What is their customer service like though?

Old 02-25-2013, 08:35 AM

Not sure, never had to find out.

One thing that, to this day, I still think iPhone has over Android: the stock keyboard.
Y'know the Apple one hasn't changed since its inception. I have tried literally a half dozen Android ones.
Finally found one I really like but I still often click the wrong letter. Have to backspace and fix it. Click i, it gives me o. Backspace. Click i, it gives me o. Backspace. Click i, it gives me i. Now this is not every time I type, but often enough.
Typing on my wife's iPhone last night and was reminded about this again: it just works.
It ALWAYS seems to "get me". I never miss a letter on that thing. And there's nothing special about the looks of that keyboard. I think just the touch areas are configured a little better.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:07 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,561,901 times
I use swiftkey, which REALLY 'gets' me - it goes through your facebook and twitter (if you let it) to get to know you and what words you use.....it has been great for me

Old 02-28-2013, 01:48 PM

Yep. I use Swiftkey on my tab. VERY easy and rarely ever gets me wrong. I like it a lot.
On a phone though I still give a slight edge to the no frills iPhone keyboard.
I admit it certainly could be my issue and the way I type.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:15 PM

810 posts, read 1,148,944 times
If the green text bubbles weren't present - I could probably overlook a few things.

The default shade of green is just nasty in my opinion.

Don't care for blue iMessage because it uses data and the other person can see when you are typing then. Don't really like "text bubbles" to begin with. Even did a jailbreak, there's still no way to get around the green text bubbles.

Also, don't like how the white balance cannot be adjusted before taking a picture without using an app, meaning you will have to do a separate export to camera roll and have 2 of the same file when you only need one.

The worst thing is that you cannot even fully delete a contact on the 4/4s/5. When sending a multiple text the person you thought you erased is still there in the drop down menu.

Last edited by moonsparkle; 03-02-2013 at 06:52 PM..

Old 03-04-2013, 03:46 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,561,901 times
you can change the color of your bubbles if you are jailbroken:

How To Change The Color Of Your Text Bubbles! (Color Messages) - YouTube

Old 03-04-2013, 05:15 PM

810 posts, read 1,148,944 times
On the latest iOS you cannot change SMS bubbles using Winterboard. There's a way to do it if you know how to manually edit "chatkit framework", but that's way too much for me.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:45 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,677,685 times
Quote:
If the green text bubbles weren't present - I could probably overlook a few things.
The text bubbles are sky blue in my iPhone4. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones