U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 02:16 PM

5,702 posts, read 16,478,540 times

Advertisements

Well the first PC I bought myself was in the early 90's. Im a graphic designer by trade and work in the tech field. I know a thing or two about computers. I have had a lot of computers. IBM, Gateway, several Dells, HP..... The only ones I havent owned are Compaq, Sony and Samsung and some others that I wouldnt consider. I found in my experience the Macs work better for my needs. I also like the hardware, the feel of the keyboard and mouse. I have a few gripes about the OS on occasion. Not a huge fan of Mountain Lion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 02:21 PM

5,894 posts, read 4,418,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Well the first PC I bought myself was in the early 90's. Im a graphic designer by trade and work in the tech field. I know a thing or two about computers. I have had a lot of computers. IBM, Gateway, several Dells, HP..... The only ones I havent owned are Compaq, Sony and Samsung and some others that I wouldnt consider. I found in my experience the Macs work better for my needs. I also like the hardware, the feel of the keyboard and mouse. I have a few gripes about the OS on occasion. Not a huge fan of Mountain Lion.

Ahhh...graphic designer!

My wife is also a graphic designer. From what I've noticed, graphic art and music creation tend to be top notch on Macintosh computers, while techies who like to code stuff tend to migrate to Windows and Linux.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:44 PM

5,702 posts, read 16,478,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Ahhh...graphic designer!

My wife is also a graphic designer. From what I've noticed, graphic art and music creation tend to be top notch on Macintosh computers, while techies who like to code stuff tend to migrate to Windows and Linux.
True!

Old 03-19-2013, 05:42 AM

80 posts, read 128,821 times
Yes, compared to Android, the iPhone software and OS package really "just works". Android is just one disorganised mess of ----. However, iOS phone is twice as expensive as a comparable androidphone and seems to break easier. I'm not a fan of either of them but own an android 2.3 phone. The phone features suck compared to just about any featurephone, but on the other hand it is pretty cool to be carrying around a GPS and portable router all the time.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:48 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,897,454 times
I guess the biggest beefs I have with my iPhone are

1. No spam filtering for email at all, a big problem for me as I get tons of it. I don't use email on my phone at all because of this. I don't have time to waste deleting all that spam.

2. No way to block unwanted calls at all without jailbreaking it and installing a 3rd party app.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:39 AM

13,325 posts, read 20,371,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
I guess the biggest beefs I have with my iPhone are

1. No spam filtering for email at all, a big problem for me as I get tons of it. I don't use email on my phone at all because of this. I don't have time to waste deleting all that spam.
You could setup rules at icloud.com to block some of that spam.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:58 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,964,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasra View Post
Yes, compared to Android, the iPhone software and OS package really "just works". Android is just one disorganised mess of ----.
Oh, that is not even a little bit true. O, you mean you can actually ORGANIZE your Android phone that way that YOU want it? Yea, if that is disorganized, then yes... Android is disorganized. But you don't have to customize it. You can leave it as is and use it the way you get it. And... it just works.
I think what people really mean by "it just works" is: it's just so simple. And that's fine... for some folks... like our parents.

Quote:
However, iOS phone is twice as expensive as a comparable androidphone and seems to break easier. I'm not a fan of either of them but own an android 2.3 phone.
That's not really true either. A comparable iPhone and an Android are the same price. The difference is, with Android being so open, that carriers can take crappy hardware and run older Android on it and give the phones away for free. There is no "low end" option for Apple. But a $200 Android is every bit as good as a $200 iPhone.

Quote:
The phone features suck compared to just about any featurephone, but on the other hand it is pretty cool to be carrying around a GPS and portable router all the time.
Can I guess what you spent on your "smart phone"?
$30??

Old 03-19-2013, 10:28 AM

80 posts, read 128,821 times
Over five years of tech and IT support now. I see what phones get thumbs down, returns, are quickly swapped etc. due to general problems, and it ain't iOS. My first smartphone, a $300 Xperia X10 / Android 2.1, was one big joke, it would actually randomly connect calls to another person than what was noted on the screen. It was kind of cool to surprise call people I hadn't talked to in years and I kind of thank the phone for it, but it wasn't the intention. Also, processes somehow continued running in the background despite everything being shut down and drained the battery in half a day of "idling" on a table. Android has improved a lot since then, but the elevator still doesn't go to all the way up to the expensive lounges. Most seriously, many Droids seem to have weird network connection issues such as frequent data freeze (or the network dies altogether / stays at emergency calls only). This is resolved by reboot. ( Some users apparently have the same fault with iPhones, but I never experienced it: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0 )

I spent $100 for my current Android smart phone. A $300-500 one, however, doesn't really mean better phone functionality, and neither android nor iOS draws the longest straw in this case (borrowed a 3GS for a while), but a $30 Nokia. It's the whole deal with a touchscreen and the phone being just another application in the system that spoils the user experience.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:08 PM

9,095 posts, read 15,376,700 times
I think people claim iphone's just work, because they tend to work better than many competitors. (In terms of easier).

My wife and I have had a long serious of various android phones. Motorolas, Samsung's (including her current Galaxy S3). The worst have been extremely buggy. The best, the S3, works fairly well but still seems to hang up with some functions and apps, and took me forever to get things uploaded and downloaded to a PC.

I decided to try an Ip5 over the winter, for two reasons. My long history of buggy android based phones, and the fact it was not as big as a lot of the android phones these days (nice for me to have the smaller size, as it fits into my pocket more comfortably)

No, it is not perfect, but for how I use it (and that may not be how everyone does), it is the best smartphone I have ever had the pleasure of using. I admit, there are some functions and features on my wife's S3 which I do greatly appreciate, but not so much I would trade.

To each their own really. None of these things are perfect, and they seem made to be disposable since the tech moves at such a fast pace.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:12 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,964,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasra View Post
Over five years of tech and IT support now.
Over 15 here, including support of all the phone types. Currently have 6 iPhones, 7 Droids, a Windows 6.5 phone and 1 Blackberry.
Without fail the most problematic phone of the bunch:.... wait for it....

NONE OF THEM. They all JUST WORK. My users are not techie people by any means. The least techiest owner has a Droid Bionic. It JUST WORKS fine for him, never a problem. The most techie guy here has an iPhone (which kind of goes against what I implied: techier people choose Android).
The only phone that's ever had a problem? Mine. Of course. Because I've hacked the crap out of it. lol

The cheapest Android phone we've ever bought for an employee: $200.
You get what you pay for with Android.

And as I said, and will continue to say, I do not hate i-anything. I love a lot of things about it.
This thread is only meant to debunk the myth: iPhones ain't as perfect as people say they are.

Quote:
I think people claim iphone's just work, because they tend to work better than many competitors. (In terms of easier).
And I mostly agree with this. There are no widgets to figure out, there are no alternate browsers that you use (that work correctly) or SMS programs you can try (again that work correctly). It's just 3 screens with all your apps. *yawn* So boring. So simple. People love them because think they "just work" because you don't have to figure anything out. You don't have to with Android either. Anyone can use an Android right out of the box. But the difference is: if you want more out of it, you can get more out of it.

I do love them all, though. Really.
I am constantly using the 4 finger swipe to close an app on my Android tablet. Oops! That doesn't work. That's an iPad feature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones