Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 01:23 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times

Advertisements

Some really nice comments!

We have certainly hit a saturation point of sorts in cell phone design. At this point, its lots of incremental improvements rather than huge leaps (eg. going from 1 inch screens to 5 inch).

Yes the biggest hurdles have been improving battery life. This will get incrementally better as displays, modem technology and other improvements get more efficient in their use of power (the biggest power hog of the phones resources).

What has happened is now phones are portals into the interwebs WITH telephony capabilities grandfathered in. As we push for more data centrism, M2M capabilities will get more robust and all web driven data will grow exponentially.
We see some sort of ideas now with iPhone apps that work with tangibles.
For example there are interior lights for the home sold by Philips in the Apple store. This will be a huge growth market in the future as we will be able to control MANY facets of our homes with HTML5 like portals and M2M connections.

Operating systems as we know them now will be far less relevant in terms of apps and the like as well. This is how the HTML5 standard will be the baseline for this future mode.

But for now, yeah the ooohs and ahhs are not as prevalent as maybe 5 or 6 years ago when the App revolution started really kicking into high gear as well as other goodies like social networking and email became less cumbersome to use on a phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 05:52 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
My HTC Evo 3D runs almost everything I need fine (except the NDS emulator).. this model is about 20 months old already.
I agree. I have the HTC EVO V, which is essentially just a rebadged EVO 3D with Android 4.0 pre-installed...and it is great. I still get compliments on it, and the glasses-free 3D screen really wows people.

The EVO V, which Virgin Mobile now sells for $150, and a $35 / month 300 mins talk / unlimited text / data plan is probably the best deal in the mobile arena right now.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:58 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I agree. I have the HTC EVO V, which is essentially just a rebadged EVO 3D with Android 4.0 pre-installed...and it is great. I still get compliments on it, and the glasses-free 3D screen really wows people.

The EVO V, which Virgin Mobile now sells for $150, and a $35 / month 300 mins talk / unlimited text / data plan is probably the best deal in the mobile arena right now.
I have it from Virgin Mobile too.. i usually refer it to as the Evo 3D as most ppl I know never heard of the Evo V 4G though. Too bad it went down from $200 to $150 like a month after I bought it..

Old 02-11-2013, 06:48 PM

553 posts, read 1,706,521 times
The title of the thread belays its irony; do people really own cell phones, and do they use their mobile devices primarily for calling?

They are not good enough yet - ironically many of the folks on this forum are the reason for the slow progress in app development and new features (eg - developers must make apps that maximize profits, which means eschewing features for the newest devices because most users are not on the most current hardware).

Improvements in battery technology and UI/UX are reason enough to upgrade on a regular basis, IMO.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:05 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,169,415 times
You've got S2's running Jellybean right now with the S4 soon to come out. The phones are totally capable of doing it, it's just Apple, Google and the carriers know if they withhold these features, these updates, it's incentive to make people buy a new phone, but 2 year old phones were powerful as hell then, and they still are.

Imagine if Game Developers on PC forced you go buy new hardware to play the current years games. Sure, your 2-3 yr old PC can run it on "Good" settings at around 45-50 fps with most things turned on, but no, you need to buy all new everything to play the new Crysis all all. And they do this every year.

That's pretty much how the updates work. Unless you root or jail break your phone you can't get access to features your phone is totally capable of using.

There are no "killer apps" on smart phones. The most graphically intensive games aren't even the most popular. Not by a long shot. How powerful of a phone do you need to play Angry Birds or Fruit Ninja?

Old 02-14-2013, 01:52 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
Apps will get more complex and bigger, data networks will get faster and require new internal radios, processors will get so fast you may be able to hook your smartphone to a monitor and run a full desktop OS on it--and that's just in the next few years. You have to understand that these types of discussions have been going on for decades about advancing technology and its only our own shortsightedness that prevents us from perceiving how things can improve.

I remember picking up a Gateway desktop in 1999 and being told by the salesman and my friends that the 10GB hard drive was much more than I'll ever be able to use. Wrong then, wrong now.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Apps will get more complex and bigger, data networks will get faster and require new internal radios, processors will get so fast you may be able to hook your smartphone to a monitor and run a full desktop OS on it--and that's just in the next few years. You have to understand that these types of discussions have been going on for decades about advancing technology and its only our own shortsightedness that prevents us from perceiving how things can improve.

I remember picking up a Gateway desktop in 1999 and being told by the salesman and my friends that the 10GB hard drive was much more than I'll ever be able to use. Wrong then, wrong now.
So true! Then Napster came along and hogged all those precious GBs

The technology is only as good/useful as what you are using NOW to access stuff (social networking, email and small tasks). So, relative to that topic its true. Most of the phones are good enough for achieving these tasks in the way we interact with them now.

Right now we are working on some killer new devices coming out this year and the future isnt looking too shabby

Old 02-14-2013, 04:08 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Are cell phones good enough? NO!

Consider the Dick Tracy comic strip and bring into modern technology. When a wrist watch becomes that cell phone with a holographic screen, and with a miniature ear plug headset then smart will have moved closer to good enough.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Are cell phones good enough? NO!

Consider the Dick Tracy comic strip and bring into modern technology. When a wrist watch becomes that cell phone with a holographic screen, and with a miniature ear plug headset then smart will have moved closer to good enough.
By then we will be attacking the Death Star

Old 02-14-2013, 05:09 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,169,415 times
I just don't understand buying a new phone every, single year. Especially from Apple, who love to withhold features.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones