U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 11:16 AM

701 posts, read 994,092 times

Advertisements

This takes a while to connect but it's interesting - NBCNews.com video: iDoctor: Could a smartphone be the future of medicine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 12:19 PM

8,193 posts, read 22,572,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickymost View Post
The title of the thread belays its irony; do people really own cell phones, and do they use their mobile devices primarily for calling?
Unless you outright purchase a phone at full price, you are bound by whatever conditions the carrier wishes to provide. So no, you do not own your phone if it is subsidized.

I believe people still primarily use their phones to make calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave12308 View Post
Are you kidding? Apps are getting more and more sophisticated. Heck, there are high end flight simulators for phones. You can get a direct port of a very realistic PC flight sim called Aerofly FS on the iPhone. And it's darn sure going to run better on newer, faster hardware.

Some of this stuff goes way past the Vita and 3DS, and the devices themselves are much higher resolution, with some of the new phones being 1080p.

Phones will never be "good enough" for a power user, because apps are constantly getting larger and more demanding.
I personally think most apps are silly and are primarily used to waste time by most users (i.e., games, YouTube, etc.). The most useful app I have yet to use was the official MBTA app for the T in Boston. MBTA busses have GPS devices, so with the app you see the location of any bus within the metro. And as anyone who has attempted to ride the T can attest, busses (and the Green Line) do not run by their posted schedules; they tend to arrive at a particular stop whenever the driver feels like getting there.

I personally do not consider games to be apps, but that is just me. Apps will become more sophisticated and will integrate into our lives by connecting to our homes, vehicles, and everything else on a minute-by-minute basis. That is still five to ten years away from being standard, and until then, most apps are going to remain useless in terms of real productivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
Better battery life is the one thing that needs to improve. I'd take a slightly thicker phone if it meant the battery was better. I hate the idea that you should have to dumb down your smart phone to make it last a day. It's one thing if you work a job that has it on a charger, but if you're out and about, what are you gonna do, be tethered to a charger all day?

And again, as I said, phones can, and yes, should get better, but this whole, yearly thing? I don't get it.
I agree battery life needs to be improved. I primarily use my phone, outside of calls, for email and other messages. By simply allowing the email to actively sync in the background, I get about 4 hours before the batter is completely dead, and my phone has been this way since it was brand new. If I turn off active sync the battery will last an entire day, but I would then have to manually check emails, etc.

I do not understand how a phone/OS that is considered by so many to be "the ****" can have such horrible battery life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
great prediction ; hope it comes true.

op: i spoke with a research team hired by samsung. it's the nature of the beast, one told me, to always get better. personally i have a GN2 and would like if it converted .png files to .jpg files with the sound of my voice. i want to say "convert this to a jay peg" and it does it. right now it does not do that. i happen to be into voice commands so i would want the smartphones of tomorrow to tickle me pink in that regard
Pushing technology = keeping the $$$$ coming in.

Honestly, you might be one of two people who would want a .png to .jpg voice command. Voice commands are nice, but I do not really want to live in a society where this sort of thing becomes the norm. It is bad enough that too many people gab into their phones while in public as it is. It will become even more annoying when this is exacerbated by people shouting voice commands into their phones as well.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:41 PM

2,880 posts, read 6,226,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Unless you outright purchase a phone at full price, you are bound by whatever conditions the carrier wishes to provide. So no, you do not own your phone if it is subsidized.

I believe people still primarily use their phones to make calls.
That's why I can't understand people who use their subzidized smartphone as a status symbol. Not only are they hampered by carrier restrictions (and carriers are some of the worst companies in America), but they end up paying hundreds of dollars for the phone in the 2 year contract.

That's why I bought a factory unlocked Nexus 4, which I'm using for the 5 month remainder of my T-Mobile contract. After that, I'll never sign another 2 year contract again.

I'm not sure of the numbers, but for the under 30 crowd the primary use is not phone calls. Texts are still probably the leader, and then either phone calls or data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Honestly, you might be one of two people who would want a .png to .jpg voice command. Voice commands are nice, but I do not really want to live in a society where this sort of thing becomes the norm. It is bad enough that too many people gab into their phones while in public as it is. It will become even more annoying when this is exacerbated by people shouting voice commands into their phones as well.
I'd want that as well. Well, I don't care about those file types per se, but I want AI to advance voice recognition to that level. I find Google Voice very useful, although I'm conscious about using it in public places so rarely do so. It's the future, and I'm not sure why you think the benefits of advanced AI are outweighed by personal annoyance. How is it any worse than someone yacking about their Aunt's colon problems?

Old 03-05-2013, 08:16 AM

809 posts, read 1,515,608 times
You're talking about advanced A.I, he's talking about a kinda random voice feature.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:20 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,636,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
I mean the Galaxy Note 2 is, IMO, as big as a phone needs to be. It use to be the smaller the better, now it's the bigger, but regardless, at this point, whether you want a tiny phone or a huge phone, you can have it.

And they are plenty powerful. I mean I can't think of a single app that will run better on the upcoming Galaxy or Iphone. Nothing. No app. Unless phone makers are going to try and make phones replace handheld gaming devices like the Vita and the 3DS, but those kinds of games, very graphic intensive, aren't the ones that sell in huge numbers, so I don't think that's the case.

Is there anyone whose like, oh man, the Galaxy S3 is just so outdated now and I need a new phone to run all these apps that are running slow.

It's not like with PC where you can legitimately have a reason to upgrade every year or two.

The only reason I would upgrade is when Android eventually says oh well the S3 can't run Key Lime Pie or whatever, even though it absolutely can, but they won't officially release it for the S3 in order to get you to upgrade.
They need more storage

Old 03-10-2013, 01:04 PM

809 posts, read 1,515,608 times
Well than get a 64 gig SD card. Or buy into that Cloud storage crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones